CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  2:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Bet you didn't think you'd hear that from me! I have know cows. Ok, my Granddaughter came home and told me she thought one of the neighbors cows was dead. We went and looked and she sure did look dead. She was laying on her side and her head was stuck out on the ground in a funny position. She was motionless for a long time. Then she moved her front leg up and down. It looked like she was quite large in the rear end. I thought maybe she was calving. But, if she was she must of been in agony,she just barely moved.It upset us a lot. She was all alone and no one was around. We went to the door and then went down to the farmers Dad'a house. He said was it a dead one they had brought out, no it moved. So he thought maybe she was calving too. Do they look dead when they have their calves? This is probably a dumb post to you cow owners, but itreally upset us to see her alone and so helpless. I would like to know what you think.

Thanks a lot MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  3:24:43 PM  Show Profile
most heifers calf standing up, and no they don't look dead when they are. Her calf could be breach, or xtra large and stuck. To drag a dying cow out into a pasture to suffer, is criminal and cruel.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  7:04:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, what did they do? Did they ever go check on her? What happened?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  8:30:52 PM  Show Profile
i am wondering too... what happened. when a cow lays flat it messes up their rumen. they must have their head up. we prop cow heads up with bales of hay when down. it could also have a twist in the rumen. their are certain ways they position themselves depending on the pain or issue.they will lay down when having contractions and resting but when time for calf they usually stand up or at least right after. the only stupid question is the one not ask. never feel weird about asking. thats how we all learn. i read every post i can on here and kfc to learn about living off the land. caring for my animals and FRIENDSHIP> i am homebound a lot. so i love this place just a thought sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Shery Jespersen
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

Shery
Upton Wyoming
USA
115 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  06:40:01 AM  Show Profile
Yes, the appearance of a cow in labor can be upsetting if you don't know what it looks like. A cow in labor is sort of like a duck in water. The duck may look quiet above the surface, but those feet are going like crazy. The same is true of a cow in the birthing process. It only "looks" quiet, but inside the cow there is a whole lot happening. A cow, left to her own devices chooses to be by herself...as is the case with many animals. It is a safety issue. It is also a health issue. A cow (say in our world) goes off by herself out on the clean prairie away from the herd. She has her baby all alone by "choice". And, it is better to leave her be rather than distract her and take her attention away from what she is doing. Do not disturb her as it may only prolong the birth. The farmer or rancher who owned the cow may well have been watching the cow's progress from a distance...by design. That is how it is suppose to be done. You only intervene if there is a problem. Then and only then should you get in the way. Most of the time, nature's mommies do not need us nor want us to be a part of a very private affair. Shery

Farmgirl Sister #753
Ranch Farmgirl http://rfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org
My Blog http://reataroseranch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Cow Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page