Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  03:15:53 AM  Show Profile
The eggs we got from a friend are finally starting to hatch.

There was 1 two days ago, and another emerging when I got home from work yesterday. Yesterdays was the Auracona I have been hoping for. There are still 3 more blue eggs left to go. So I hope at least 1 r 2 more will hatch sometime today.

And next week I'm supposed to get a small shipment of Polish chicks. So in 1 very large brooder there weill be several stages of chicks to play with and observe.

Funny how even the 24 hour ones get w/ the program and are up and running w/ the 3 week ones. And I guess no one gets pickd on 'cause they are all still really young

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  03:26:01 AM  Show Profile
How fun! I love my auracona chickens. We plan to down scale our chickens and my hubs was adimit that we keep our auraconas!
Enjoy!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  03:57:31 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I have 8 dozen americauna eggs in my incubators. I currently have 10 out in the yard but wanted more. so got incubatable eggs. Good luck with the hatch!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  03:31:44 AM  Show Profile
Got another chick this a.m.

Weird how the hatching process seems to take forever.

When I got home last night, another chick had it's egg cracked all around the center and you could hear it peeping inside the shell. As of this a.m. we have another downy ball of fuzz.

Had to tear mysealf from the coop and go to work, but I felt under the hen and another chick was pipping. Can't wait to get home tonight and see another new addition!

Hubby keps bothering me about taking the babies away from their mom. I want to hand raise most so they won't be as afraid. And since there are already now 9 chicks in the brooder, adding new additions is easy as the newbies catch on really fast. It's been a bit cooler too, so all can get under the brood lamp and bond
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  07:25:23 AM  Show Profile
oh wow, i am always amazed when humans hatch eggs. that is a fine accomplishment. so cute i love babies sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  03:32:53 AM  Show Profile
Sure enough...........when I got home last night, there were TWO more chicks. One this time was black, the other a dusty blond. I may have missed the black one since it was just a wee bit smaller and most likely blending w/ the hen's black feathers. She had one last egg that was pipping, and by bedtime the chick had emerged and was still damp. This a.m. it was all dry and alert. I'll keep this one w/ her, and perhaps trade it out when the shipment of Polish chicks arrives on Thursday

Isn't it the sweetest thing when some chicks will fall asleep against or in your hand. I believe these are the ones that grow up to be super friendly. Unsure about roosters right now. When tail feathers start to develop we'll have a better idea. So far this tail theory has proven true.

Hens seem to develop their little tails before roosters do, so when chicks are about a week old, the hen's tail feathers start to grow out first. On our little farm this has proven true 4 times over out of the 4 times we have raised standard chicks

I know there's a way to distinguish using wing feather pattern too, but I have difficulty w/ this especially with squirmy little balls of fluff
Go to Top of Page

Shery Jespersen
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

Shery
Upton Wyoming
USA
115 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  05:55:26 AM  Show Profile
The more you handle them, the more they will like people. Imprinting is an effective tool used by falconers, horse breeders...and it is really nice to do if you're a chicken lover also. I don't want just egg machines, I want 'pet' docility. One reason many 4-H birds are so nice to buy from the kids once fair is over, is because the kids have loved on them from the day the chicks were brought home. It sure helps them to be good show birds too. A black Cochin rooster that I showed in Open many years ago won Best Of Show...due in part to his people loving personality. The judge was a retired fellow who used to breed and show professionally all over the world. He told me, while "Bud" was brushing his feathers at him and dancing for him..making eye contact the whole time...and showing delight when the judge picked him up, "Now kids, THIS is a show bird. He's of excellent quality, yes, but the attitude made him the winner and handling made that happen."
Shery Jespersen

Farmgirl Sister #753
Ranch Farmgirl http://rfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org
My Blog http://reataroseranch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

barefootmama
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Jennifer
BLOOMSBURG Pennsylvania
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  07:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Send barefootmama a Yahoo! Message
AWWWWWWWW I"m lovin the baby chick talk so cute! We let 2 of our hens hatch 3 out last year and they were precious they only lived a week though we had to run outta town for a few hours and when we got home ran out to check on them all and the babies had died..we there was a heavy rain storm that hit and we are pretty sure they drowned. they did not follow the hens to the dry coup. We were devestated so this year to avoid heartache with my 2 kids we just bought a bunch of peeps and they are hanging out in coups in my house till they are big enough to head out side with the big guys. Last year was our first chicken raising year and you learn and love them as you go.. We went from 9 chickens to 27 chickens and 6 ducks lol..our flock is growing! they are like chips you cant just have 1!!!!! Good luck to all of you with your flock!!!

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves,for they shall never cease to be amused:)
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic More chicks! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page