Prairie Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Linda
Sterling Ks.
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  10:03:39 AM  Show Profile
[font=Georgia]If you have a chicken coop what color is it? I am going to be painting mine this spring. I go back and forth on the color. Do you have a picture of yours? I just need some ideas from some Mary Jane Farmgirls!

I posted a post today on my little coop. It needs some help! I do have chicken curtains in it though!

Blessings and Happy Spring ladies!!!!!
Linda

Enter and leave with a happy heart!
www.prairieflowerfarm.blogspot.com
www.peacecreekcollectionsstore.blogspot.com

Edited by - Prairie Flower on Mar 17 2010 10:06:50 AM

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  11:24:34 AM  Show Profile
We have tin siding on ours, some we scavaged along the way but it works. The door and eaves are painted green.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  12:13:38 PM  Show Profile
Linda, we built ours when we first bought this place. Weren't even moved in yet. But it's from lumber we had and some older tin. But new tin roof. It's green. So I painted the wooden parts a barn red color. Now I am wanting to paint it to match the house trim which is a pretty green. I have some paint I had gotten for my front doors that I can use. It sure needs redone.

I also have part of my goat barn as a hen house. Since the 2 does have had their kids it's messed up some of the hens. They would lay eggs under this old bench and now they can't because the does won't let them in. So they are now having to lay eggs in, of all things, a nester! I filled 6 of them up nice and fluffy with hay and they are actually laying eggs in them. I checked awhile ago and there were 3 with a hen in another one.

I love your hen house. It's so cute. And has history. That's what's so neat about it. I am always looking at old buildings and thinking what great hen houses they would make. So what color is your house? Would that look good on a hen house?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  12:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Ours is painted to match the house!! :)

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  6:25:49 PM  Show Profile
Linda I had to laugh at the egg in the pocket story. I did that once too many times this past winter, had them in my jacket pocket, door wouldn't shut and used that side to "hip" it with and scrambled eggs in my pocket

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Linda
Sterling Ks.
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  9:12:54 PM  Show Profile
Rae, sound like you do like we do. I am going to use some old wood that we have to put on the sides of our little coop. Two years ago we put a really neat roof on the top of the coop, then 85 mile winds came right after we put it up (our son's where in a hurry) and took the West side off! I was so sad, because we had been given some CHRISTmas money and we used it for the new roof. Still have to work on the roof.

Glad you liked my egg story. I think every farm girl has a story about eggs in her pocket!

Kristin, Our house needs a new coat of paint, which will be white. WE live on a farm and all the houses are white. The big milk barn is barn red with white halfway up. So I have thought about a sage green maybe for the coop or maybe white. You gave me some wonderful pictures in my mind of your goats and chickens. How fun! We have horses, 1 dog, lots of chickens, 2 ducks, 1 huge turkey and lots of cats!

Candy, Good idea! Bet it looks nice.

Thank you ladies so much for taking time out of your day and answering my question. So enjoyed reading your comments.

Blessings, Linda

Go to Top of Page

barefootmama
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Jennifer
BLOOMSBURG Pennsylvania
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  11:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Send barefootmama a Yahoo! Message
Great question Linda! I have three..going on four lol that all need to be painted. I was worried about painting them for fear of the chickens pecking at it and getting sick:( any suggestions?
oh and I am so guilty of the door "hip" egg smash lol now thats a squishy feeling you'll never forget!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  03:36:41 AM  Show Profile
We have 2 small wooden ones that can be wheeled around and the main coop that we purchased as a pre-fab. This one is permanemt. It has a tin roof and is 12x12. I call it the million screw special. The back half is partitioned off half way for nest box privacy and the same area is covered on the sides outside to stop drafts and wind.

It took 2 weekends to construct but is one of the nicest out buildings we have.

When we are home, everybody gets to free range.

The big coop has chicken wire around it to afford more space rather than chickens being all bunched inside the building. This too gets opened in the evenings when we get home
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Linda
Sterling Ks.
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  05:51:57 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer, I don't think the chickens will peck at it. Four........... wow, I would love that!!!!!!! I need another one and am thinking of building on one of the sides of the one already standing. I sure wish I knew how to build things. If I could sew it on a sewing machine I would be fine!!!!

Anna, I love those kind that you move. We have a friend that makes them. They are so expensive from him though. Sounds like you have a wonderful coop! Cute how you called it the million screw special.

Going to be a nice day today. Then snow maybe......... again......... I am trying to be happy. NOT! Thank you so for writing me.
Linda

Go to Top of Page

Jonesy
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Joan
Donovan illinois
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  09:25:04 AM  Show Profile
WE are putting ours up as soon as the ground is not as muddy. All the fram house and out buildings around here are white. My husbands original family home is white, so when we built ours, I insisted that it be blue. He finally gave in. It is a beautiful nautical blue and everyone around here really like it too. So when we planned on building out chicken house, I wanted the same siding. This time husband put down his foot. NO! It will be white! Oh well, I am going to put shutters and window boxes on it and guess what color...Nautical blue of course.
My husband was born on this farm.. I was born in the big city... eveyone around here just shakes their heads, shutters and window boxes on a chicken house???? Portger instead of a tilled garden??? Dog IN the house??? Plant beans WITH the corn??? Glad you gals are here...I know you understand.

Joan

Joan

Nothing happens unless first we dream.

Stop by my blog at:
jonesypaints.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  09:32:04 AM  Show Profile
Well, this summer, I'll be painting my house pale sage green with white trim, so I thought I'd do the coop to match! Btw, I'm building a new coop as well!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  12:09:32 PM  Show Profile
Ours is a add-on to the goat barn....in almost the same red ;) Not terribly exciting, but it does have vintage windows.

I would love to have some curtains, but the windows open and secure up (like the cottage they came out of, lol) and the cluckers really seem to like that privacy up there as their bathroom, heh heh. I think curtains would just make that situation worse

Farmgirl sister #779

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  2:11:41 PM  Show Profile
We're painting ours to match the house, becuase we have just a regular lot sized backyard. We converted our recycling bin/yard cans "parking garage" to a chicken coop (in process). We building a seperate "tractor/run" too, for extra foraging space...

I would forgo the curtains, unless your chikens can't get to them- they could choke :(

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  1:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
Mine is a 20x40 barn we built out of salvaged parts. it has a tin roof, tin around the bottom, chicken wire the rest of the way to the roof. Then we installed the nest boxes on the sides with the roosts on the back~ Of course i have 100 chickens too!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Linda
Sterling Ks.
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  3:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh farmgirls, I am sorry that I have not been able to come and talk with you all! I have been working on two fabric lines and have been so busy painting.

I love all your ideas.
Joan yours sounds like it is going to be so cute! Now I want some window boxes!!!! cute idea! All our out buildings are khaki and barn red or barn red and white. Still don't know what I am going to do.

Annika, I have a picture of a little shed that is sage green and it is really adorable. Maybe that will be what I do also. I have a barn red roof. Won't you have fun building your new chicken coop! Come back and show us what you did!!!!!!

Sarah............ how beautiful!!!!!!! I love it! You did a fantastic job!!!!!!

Nancy, Love those tractor/runs! Wish I had one!

Wow Brandee, I only have a little over 50 big girls and about 10 little cochins. Can't wait for them to start sitting! I would love to see a picture of yours.

Well I am off to go to the UPS to send the first fabric line off.
Blessings, Linda
Thank you all for the wonderful ideas!

Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  4:58:52 PM  Show Profile
Ours are made from slab wood and chicken wire, posts are cut from the woods in our backyard. We salvaged windows and doors and windows, they have old farm tools, tin signs and farmy stuff hanging everywhere on them, with benches made from slab wood and stumps for sitting and watching. and of course flower boxes with mini roses.
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  10:17:36 AM  Show Profile
Here's some pics of our coop, in progress, (minus the seperate run/tractor) used to be our recycling "garage"...

Be the change...

Edited by - nancypo on Mar 31 2010 10:21:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  10:20:38 AM  Show Profile
The whole arer will be netted in, the nesting box/roost is the white rectangle....

Be the change...

Edited by - nancypo on Mar 31 2010 10:21:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Simply Faith
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Faith
Cleveland Oh
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  10:32:21 AM  Show Profile
WOW! I would love to have a chicken or two..and fresh eggs. We live in the city, very small lot and I am sure zoning laws of one kind or another..but....this gives me a chance to read up and learn about them in the meantime...where do you start to learn about chickens and coops and such? What is the begining....?
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  10:44:33 AM  Show Profile
In Boise city limits, we're allowed up to 3 hens (nor roosters= no noise). I HIGHLY recommend reading up first-
http://www.backyardchickens.com/ Excellent site!

http://urbanchickens.org/

and get some library boosk on small backyard chickens. Check with your city on ordinances... Good luck

My 2 girls... :)

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  10:45:33 AM  Show Profile
I also used Google images for "small chicken coops", "chciken tractors", etc. for ideas...

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

Simply Faith
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Faith
Cleveland Oh
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  12:09:42 PM  Show Profile
Thank you I will stop by there and take a look see...

the little chicks are so cute....
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  9:29:38 PM  Show Profile
I got a tiny chick today, a Rhode Island Red, man is she LOUD! Will post pics, she's such a little fuzzball...

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

nancypo
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

nancy
boise idaho
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  9:39:19 PM  Show Profile

Be the change...
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  09:21:01 AM  Show Profile
We converted an old dog house into our "coop". They have a seperate nesting box. We started out with 13 hens, and now have 7 left. The dog house...oops I mean chicken house works well for my gals, as they are free ranged and really only sleep in there. We'll be working on a good sized coop/run so they can be contained if we need to, and for the winter.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  12:21:37 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE seeing all of these pictures. Especially all of the baby chicks. They're all sooo cute!

Here is a picture of our new coop. Dh built is from reclaimed lumber from our old playset that was hit by a tornado 2 years ago.

We only have 4 chicks and they love it. They are spending their days outside and are back in the brooder at night so they don't get chilled.

Tanna

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Do You Have A Chicken Coop? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page