buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  5:52:39 PM  Show Profile

I have recently begun to be irritated with many answering "No Problem!" That is usually said after I say "thank you." I hear it in response to obtaining my food order at a restaurant, someone opening a door for someone etc. I very rarely hear "You are welcome" which to me is a more personal exchange.

Does this or any other saying bug you? Maybe if there are enough of us that dislike the same thing, we can start a change.

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  5:56:01 PM  Show Profile
I hear you! Being from MN I tend to reply to questions with Ya, rather than yes. It annoys me in myself, and in others. :) Being down south, it drives me mad when people say things were "blowed up" "We got some balloons blowed up" Drives me mad! I want to shake people!

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  6:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
I can agree. What ever happened to the old saying please and thank you and your welcome????

"My ideal day is sitting on the back porch, cup of green tea in hand, slippers on, and just watch the cows in the pasture"

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  6:20:29 PM  Show Profile
I get fed up with people who say they "got rid" of an animal that they gave away or took to the animal shelter. I have relatives who say this and it drives me nuts. My aunt and uncle recently had to find new homes for their two dogs because of allergy problems and my aunt said "oh, we got rid of them" when people ask her about the dogs. Makes it sound like she's taking out the garbage. I want to scream when I hear people talk like that but they wouldn't understand. Guess I'm just too sensitive.:(
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  6:31:35 PM  Show Profile
I was raised to say "yes mame, no mame, yes sir, no sir", and I in turn raised my kids to speak the same. Yes please, no thank you, your are welcome, these are proper sayings as far as I'm concerned. But in todays world kids, teens and young adults are rude, rude, and more RUDE!!! No one opens a door for anyone, I grabed a door a few weeks ago when a women was trying to get thru with a wheelchair with an elderly women in it, she was so shocked she stumbled over her words before she got thank you out. My daughter and I went to the local mall a couple of months ago to get a BD present for my Mom, we decieded to eat in the food court, went to a phillysteak sub sandwich place, I ordered and my daughter ordered, the gentleman said to us, I know you are mother and daughter, and you must be military brats, and I said NO, why do you think that, he said cause you said please, yes sir, no sir and thank you, I never hear that anymore, he was shocked and so was I. What a sad world we live in, that NOBODY hardly uses manners anymore.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  6:44:58 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Sisters, for the posts. I am old enough that in school we had to learn proper grammar, and it showed not only a sign of respect for ourselves but for those to whom we were speaking. I don't mind most of the time how people speak, but not thinking about what they are saying is...well...irritating! Cindy.... do not "get down" on yourself for being sensitive to animals. Sometimes, animals are far more loving than humans.

Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  8:29:41 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I think anytime people "get rid" of their pets I get em! However, this infuriates me too. Its like tossing a child or an elderly relative unable to care for themselves out into the street. Its sick. I once had a co-worker tell me that she got a puppy every year at walmart then in the fall when they werent cute anymore she would drop them off in a nice neighborhood because it was too cold to leave them in the backyard for the winter. I kid you not. I slapped her. Obviously I no longer work there anymore.

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  02:25:49 AM  Show Profile
I once worked at a petting zoo but quit because I didn't like the way they "used" the animals. They got a bear cub and the director said, in the local paper, "when it's not cute anymore, we'll get rid of it". Hmm, I wonder if his mother felt the same way about him! LOL I've never slapped anyone for the way they treated animals but I've been tempted. Thank you for setting that lady straight!
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  05:03:06 AM  Show Profile
Au contraire!! Manners are NOT dead just yet!!

Just last night, I was trying to get through a door with packages in my hand, hubby was behind me a bit and couldn't help me, and a nice gentleman opened the door for me. I said thank you and he said, 'You're welcome'. Even the teenaged kids, most of them will help you and won't barge through before you. There are a few that do and will but, so far, they're in the minority. I will say that the Dollar Store is a bad place for no manners...firsthand experience with some crude dudes there.

A friend came to visit from 'the big city' and about fell over when a teenaged young man, about 15y/o ran to open the door for her. She was so astounded, she stood there for a microsecond before she could get her feet to move!! She said it jumbled her brain so badly, she could barely get the 'thank you' out. I watched the whole thing while sitting inside my pickup and, I'm telling you, it was funny....hehehe...

Now, as a former big rig driver, you want to talk about rude?? I can tell you all about rude! But, once a guy let a door slam in my face and I just HAD to say something, a verbal face-slap. The guys stopped in his tracks and looked at me. I thought I'd stepped over a line and maybe I should have kept quiet, you know, the sinking feeling of 'uh-oh...'. He actually said that he was sorry for not holding the door but he'd held the door for other female truck drivers only to be berated for not treating them as equals!! I appologized (I felt that was right) and said I understood but I still liked that sort of thing. But how is a male truck driver supposed to know when or who to hold the door for?? No way to know till he does it. Obviously, I'm out of step with other female truck drivers...

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

I have some other blogs in the works...please stay tuned and I'll let you know where to go! :-)

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  07:17:45 AM  Show Profile
Let's see...this could take a while because I'm probably an elitist snob, but here we go...

"So...." as in, "I really wanted to get this, but instead got that, so....." as the speakers voice trails off into oblivion, as if "So" is some sort of qualifier. It's something I've noticed in this area, but it could be a national issue, too.

"Cousint". I never, ever knew that cousin had a "t" at the end of it. It appears to also be a regional thing, based in Grant County, a rural county to the south of us, (but coming up in the world with fast food chains and a super Walmart). Not just one person, but many, many people from that area say this. Great schools, I understand.

"Ideal". As in "that's a great ideal!" "I have an ideal!!" or "Do you have an ideal for a good neutral color for my kitchen?" Really? Really? All over Northern Kentucky.

"What's on the bottom of your cart?" Kroger. Mumbled by averaged-age 16-18 year olds while they look off into space. Not, "Mam, is there anything on the bottom of your cart?" or "Do you have anything on the bottom of your cart too large for the conveyor?"

"Plastic alright?" Kroger. Usual suspects as mentioned above....not, "Paper or Plastic?", and even though I have 2 large LL Bean Boat and Totes, and 3 other farmers market bags in my cart (in front of their face), they wouldn't just say, "Would you like me to use your bags, mam?" or "Anything that doesn't go into your shoppers, mam?"

On the telephone at the office. I answer politely, introducing myself and ask how I can assist said caller. Usually I'm interrupted BEFORE I can get out my name by "who am I speaking to????" or "who is this??" So, I start again. Or, if I'm feeling particularly irritable, I'll simply say, "who's calling?" And make them bend to MY will of telling me who they are first, since they didn't bother waiting to hear my name...because they're OBVIOUSLY more important, as is their time.

Whew. I'm getting myself all worked up :) As I said, I'm probably an elitist snob, but I was classical ballet major with an english/russian lit minor. If it walks like a duck....

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  07:26:08 AM  Show Profile
I read recently about a survey. It found that people think "WHATEVER" is the most annoying thing to hear in a disagreement.
I think it's pretty annoying in any exchange.
But, whatever.
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  08:17:34 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! I must admit I found each entry, thought provoking AND entertaining. It seemed that my little "no problem" involving "pet peeve" phrases evolved into scenarios of peoples' attitudes & character. Each of you related stories of disrespect toward animals & humans, manners or being surprised that there were some (Winona's city friend), and Winona's big rig mister, who had become confused whether he should or should not be courteous. Jonni's encounters with a lack of phone courtesy & store workers becoming robotic in their monotonous questions were summed up by Country Lawyer in a "whatever" apathy shown by some. The fact that ladies from all walks of life can share their ideas here when others in their surroundings may not, is inspiring. However this thread continues, I have already learned alot. Any comments?

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  09:17:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh, dear, I'm one of those people who irritates you, Claudia. I've gotten into the habit of saying "no problem" or "oh, that's ok" when I do some random thing for a stranger. I think it's because the only context in which I was taught to say "you're welcome" is when someone asks you to pass them something at the dinner table. It feels weird when it's not about the mashed potatoes or the wine.

But, on the bright side, at least I'm one of the people who jumps to hold a door or pick up something that someone's dropped. Actually, most people around here do. And on the elevators in my building, most men stand aside and let all the women get on or off first. It took a little getting used to, but now I find myself expecting it and feeling annoyed if some guy blows past me.

I'm trying to think of a "pet peeve" phrase that bothers me, but I honestly can't think of one. Now, driving habits I could go on and on about!
Go to Top of Page

UnSophisticatedFarmGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Jeannie
Elgin Oklahoma
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  11:06:00 AM  Show Profile
I had to swing in on this conversation because it had me chuckling at some of the ones you all were posting... then I saw Amie C here and I agree dont get me started either on the driving habits of others... Not that I am perfect but I do try to be cautious as to how I am driving since I have my kids in the truck...

Swing By & Say Hi: www.theunsophisticatedfarmgirl.com/

If You Dont Like My Cooking Lower Your Standards!

Grass Fed Eggs Are Best
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  11:20:01 AM  Show Profile
Amie, I chuckled all through your message. As far as irritating me, you most certainly 'redeemed' yourself with the rest of the note. (You really didn't irritate me.) Maybe it is just me about the no problem/you're welcome bit. But when I hear it is no problem for you to do something, I feel a little taken back. But when you say you're welcome, in my mind, you went out of your way to help me. It elevates us both in doing even a very small kindness.

Driving is a whole other problem, which maybe you should start, & I can contribute. I'm sure there would be many posts.

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  11:28:51 AM  Show Profile
I am doubtful if people realize how rude they are being so much of the time. I, too, would like to have manners back in common english...please!
I cannot stand being called "dude" I am a woman, not a dude UGG! I'm not even a young woman and I wear make-up and a dress most of the time!
I dislike when every other sentence begins with "Ummm", "Uhhh", or especially "Like"
"Like, whatever dude".....grrrrrr!
SPEAK ENGLISH! And this is a college town that I live in.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  12:03:35 PM  Show Profile
Like.... I think I first heard that in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. One would think it entirely passe' by now. Annika, I suppose that Dudette would be no better, would it? ;-)

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  3:20:54 PM  Show Profile
I have found myself saying "my peasure" when I do something and someone says thank you to me. I hope that's not irritating. I do say your welcome, too, but more and more I say my pleasure. I think it sounds ok. It really is a pleasure to do nice things for people.

I don't mind "like" because too many people I know say that. I have found myself saying it, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  5:30:55 PM  Show Profile
of course one of the worst I can think of right now is"WHATEVVVVVER" with a huge eye roll, that just makes me want to smack them

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  5:44:00 PM  Show Profile
Teresa:
We must be related! I'll just ditto what Teresa has said about manners, including the "WHATEVVVVER" post.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

tiff-tiff
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Tiffany
Austin Texas
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  6:42:16 PM  Show Profile
We talk about this all the time at home. I was also raised with please, thank you, yes ma'am, yes sir, etc. I am raising my kids to do the same, but I find it harder to re-train them when they pick up the irritating sayings - like, whatever, um, huh?.
I also have a rant and I'm grateful for a place to do it. I work in a retail store and have had it with rude people! It's the holidays - where is the heart any more! My biggest peeve right now is the cell phone. I feel like less than a person when someone comes up to the register and stays on the phone. Most of the time I just ring them up and get them out of the store, but I have walked away from the register to "give them their privacy" ;-)
There are days when I am happy to see the kindness in people, but more often than not, I feel dissapointed.

Farmgirl #164
www.itsatippinthing.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  7:04:50 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you on the WHATEVVVVER. I hate that. No problem doesn't really bother me. I had a very unusual experience the other day. I was at the Feed Store buying horse feed and they young man waiting on me said "Yes Mam at least a dozen times. He said thank you when I opened the back of the truck, You're welcome, after I said Thank You and Happy Thansgiving as I was driving away. There was not a boss in site. Somebody raised that boy right. Living in a large city I am more use to rude, rude, rude teenagers. I bet that boys Momma is a country girl.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  9:02:02 PM  Show Profile
I am definitely with the "whatever" girls. That just makes me want to slap someone upside the head!! (Got that saying from my Florida born best friend!)LOL

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  10:28:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh! Oh! Just thought of a couple that drive me to distraction!!

I can't stand it when someone says 'acrosT', instead of 'across'.

Also, can't stand it when people say something like, "I'm going out the door" instead of "I'm going out OF the door". When I hear or read this wrong headed phrase, I'm reminded of the 'Rev.' Jesse Jackson at a Dem convention some years ago and he was riling people up by getting them to yell "Stay out the Bush's!" instead of "Stay out OF the Bush's" (a play on Bush's name). At first people were confused by whatintheh*ll he was talking about but slowly started chiming in. You could hear it on the convention coverage. The man didn't even know proper grammar!

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

I have some other blogs in the works...please stay tuned and I'll let you know where to go! :-)

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2009 :  02:21:08 AM  Show Profile
I get riled up when I hear politicians refer to the "little people". Sounds like they're talking about munchkins! There are no little people, just people with little minds. Also I can't stand phrases like "the radical left" or the "radical right". Most people just aren't that radical. any phrase that demeans an entire group of people is just ignorant and misleading.
cindy
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2009 :  09:05:02 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of pols, I can't stand it when I hear a pol, of all people who should know better, refer to the USA as a democracy. It's not, it's a Republic with strong democratic traditions. We elect our (oftentimes sorry) Reps and Sens, it's not a mob-ruled country (true democracy).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Family Matters: Previous Topic Irritating sayings Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page