Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Violet Jellies!.. who is making theirs?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Violet Jellies!.. who is making theirs? Next Topic
Page: of 4

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  07:31:24 AM  Show Profile
The recipe (for both jelly's, it seems) calls for one box of powdered pectin, or 3 oz. of Certo (liquid pectin). The liquid seemed a better deal to me because there were 2 three oz. packets inside for $3.65.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  11:49:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, I have never seen such pretty jelly. My grandaughter's will love the hot pink jelly on their bisquits in the morning. I took home made bread and dandelion jelly and violet jelly to a ladie's night out thing last night and it was the hit of the evening. This morning it was back down to the son's house and I picked enough violets for three more batches of this beautiful pink nectar. Thanks so much for the idea. The simple things in life are indeed the most joyous aren't they.
Have a great weekend all my farm girl friends.
N@n

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  11:57:14 AM  Show Profile
okay i didn't make voilet jelly-but i did make my very first batch of homemade raspberry jam. i have never done that before-i mabe 18 half pints. it sure did taste good in the bottom of the pan. i am going to start MJ's sourdough starter when i get some organic wheat flour. can't wait to try that!!!! i am so proud of myself-sorry had to boast a little

whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  12:40:27 PM  Show Profile
And that's a big negatory on the liquid pectin @ kroeger. Maybe Ace?

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  1:48:04 PM  Show Profile
I was hoping that your Kroger was better than ours...they moved out the canning supplies for the charcoal, the Mgr. said :(....We got ours at Remke, a local grocery chain. Ace might have it, but definitely Walmart if there's one nearby you.

Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  6:32:00 PM  Show Profile
OK...I finally got to go pick violets today and made some jelly. But mine isn't purple :( It's hot pink! Anyone else get hot pink violet jelly?

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  7:02:21 PM  Show Profile
You ladies are such an inspiration to me! I cannot wait to go pick my dandelions tomorrow and make some jelly! Thanks! :)

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  7:25:33 PM  Show Profile
It's amazing what people think when you tell them you made dandelion or violet jelly. What? Then you have to say it again. Really? Then they are so impressed. It's funny. Jelly from a weed? I am proud of myself too. Thank you to whoever came up with this. It's great. We will have some for breakfast in the morning. Yummy!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  04:18:42 AM  Show Profile
Is it possible to buy violets someplace? I want to do this, but we live in a saburban area, between the land scapers who chemicaly treat the lawns and the dogs, well... wouldnt want to use the violets here even if I did see an over abundance of them.
If anyone would like to sell some, shoot me an email, would love to buy some

Oh happy day!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
http://bellasaysitsso.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  05:27:11 AM  Show Profile
Onecraftybugger, I'm afraid if I sent them they would be all dried up by the time they got to you! I'd have no problem picking them and sending them to you though! Maybe a local garden supply? If not, and you'd like me to, I can pick some for you!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  06:08:58 AM  Show Profile
Maybe you can put an ad on craiglist asking if any country folk around will let you come pick their violets?

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  2:59:32 PM  Show Profile
Meg, gosh that is sooooo nice of you to offer,and I would LOVE it, but as you said, by the time they got from Kentucky to Massachusetts they might not be so lovely... LOL
I am going to try the garden shop. I was telling my husband about this today when we went on our little road trip and we both agreed that we have never seen them for sale around here at a garden center, however we could have just over looked them.
Sobhan, criags list is a thought. Wish me luck :)

Oh happy day!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  04:13:42 AM  Show Profile
I did it!!! YAY! I only had pint jars, so, I canned it in those-I think it would be MUCH better suited to jelly jar or half pints, like the recipe calls for.

My jelly turned out Fushia! Not a true purple, but, it really turned a beautiful color.

Now here's my question: My jelly had millions of little bubbles in it. Did I cook it too long?

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  04:34:44 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I learn something new everyday! I've never heard of violet jellies. And hear I am with all these pretty little violets in my yard. Glad I read this before I mowed the lawn today.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  06:53:36 AM  Show Profile
Meg, not sure about the bubbles.. I usually stir my jelly a little when I romove it from the heat, if any remaining bubble are still visable when I ladle it into jars I use a stick to remove them.

Oh happy day!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  6:10:51 PM  Show Profile
Huh! Isn't that weird!? I'll try stirring it more next time-it's still a GORGEOUS fuscia though! I think maybe steeping them longer will help with getting them a deeper purple, but, I think the color is beautiful anyway!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  7:47:58 PM  Show Profile
I had to mow today. It just about made me sick. But first I ran out there and picked all the dandelions and violets I could get. I went ahead and poured the boiling water over the flowers and let them steep several hours. I then strained the flowers through a sieve and put the juice in quart jars in the fridge. Now how long will this last before it goes bad? I have to go back to the store to get more liquid pectin.

And the day before yesterday the front yard was full of dandelions. Yesterday I wanted some tea and went out there to pick some and there was not a one yellow flower. But today the yard is full again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  8:01:03 PM  Show Profile
Found enough violets in my yard and made the infusion. It's blue, blue ,blue. Did yours look blue to start with? Have to find my jars and sterilize them.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  9:10:24 PM  Show Profile
Yes...it's very blue to start with until you put the lemon juice in and then it instantly changes color. It's beautiful!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  04:11:58 AM  Show Profile
I read that the dandelion infusion will last 24 hours in the fridge. I have to run to the store myself and get more of the liquid pectin! Does anyone add the food coloring, or do you just go with what God made it?

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  04:34:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Teresa. I don't add color. I like God's colors best.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  06:44:42 AM  Show Profile
What a weekend for the Violets!!! I put up 30 1/2 pint jelly jars this week (all while working full time!). Jus and Violet were my "pickers" and he would boil the water to steep the flower heads, and I would come home and strain the infusion and start on the batch from the previous day. We could STILL make about 30 more pints, I think. I think I definitely prefer the liquid Certo to the powder, it just makes a lighter, clearer jelly.

Last night, we had friends over for an engagement party, and Jus decided he was going to make Violet Vodka tonics for cocktails, so he made a simple syrup Saturday night and we sampled it (without the Vodka) and had Italian sodas with the violet syrup. What a pretty, pretty drink!!! Even our little (real live) Violet had her own. She loved it!!!

We gave our good friends some jelly Friday night and they just couldn't believe how cool it was. Tom kept saying, "yeah, I know the color is violet, but what's it made of?"

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  07:36:15 AM  Show Profile
I made some too this weekend with the liquid Certo. Mine has a slightly grape taste. Is that what yours tastes like too??
I agree, it is gorgeous & very clear.
I buy these $1 candles at the dollar store that come in these teeny canning jars, burn the candle, clean out the jar & then use these for my jellies.
Sounds like Violet had a special treat!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  1:21:08 PM  Show Profile
My violet jelly has sort of a berry taste to it! Almost strawberry-melon. Isn't that funny!?

Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  1:34:21 PM  Show Profile
I had the most delightful fun in making this jelly! Colors! Flavor! Incredible!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Violet Jellies!.. who is making theirs? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page