Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Violet Jellies!.. who is making theirs?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Violet Jellies!.. who is making theirs? Next Topic
Page: of 4

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  1:57:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Kariann, it tastes perfect for tea time. Like one should serve it at a tea party! Also about the one's by the road side..if you live in an area that uses road salt...you're better off looking elsewhere. That's pretty dangerous stuff and it runs off all winter and soaks the soil there. Ick.

My jelly isn't jelling so well (had a distraction and probably didn't boil it enough), but I'll probably just use it as a syrup instead. Good golly it's beautiful stuff. Like a jewel!

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  05:44:15 AM  Show Profile
I made 5 jelly jars full last night and will make more this evening. It's SO pretty and tastes so good~even my husband liked it! The batch last night was made for Mother's Day gifts (since my daughter's name is Violet, "she" will give these to each of her grands). I used Aunt Jenny's recipe last night, and tonight I'll use the Prairie Herb recipe that Karieann posted and that I've had running around in my recipe file for a year or so.

p.s. I didn't take pictures...working full time and coming home to can jelly, I was lucky enough to make the jelly!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  1:42:06 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to post! My jelly turned out a bit cloudy but it's delicious! There was a small amount left after filling the jars so I've been tasting it with a spoon just to be sure it's really delicious :).
What a fun project!

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  3:41:16 PM  Show Profile
I am dying to try this...who wants to sell me a jar!!!
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  4:52:01 PM  Show Profile
Pam,
I did the SAME thing! I must have washed 5 teaspoons that I used to taste that little bit in that extra jar! Saw your post a second ago about trying lavender lemon poundcake. That sounds SO yummy.

Robin, if mine would've jelled up more firmly I'd just send you some cause I'm so darn excited that I made something with what everyone here considers a weed! I don't think mine would ship very well. I've called three friends to find out if they have violets in there yard cause I want to make more. They all thought it was some kind of joke or prank phone call!

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  4:55:41 PM  Show Profile
You girls with violets are just darn lucky. I'll have to wait for the dandelions to bloom to make some jellies! It looks wonderful, but I've never tasted it...yet!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  6:44:31 PM  Show Profile
Robin... sent you e-mail :o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  04:54:55 AM  Show Profile
I made some a few days ago. I messed up though and put 3 instead of 2 cups of water to steep in. I decided to boil it down then go from there. It tastes just wonderful but turned pink instead of purple. Hot pink! My girls thought it was funny looking and that made it even better to them. My littlest ran around the kitchen eating her toast giggling "fower sham" (her version of 'flower jam')! We were all laughing about it all night. Shes only 15 months old but insisted on helping mommy pull the petals off the flowers for her 'fower sham'. It will be stuck with that name for years in this house! LOL!

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  05:02:11 AM  Show Profile
Angela, that's so cute. I love the names these little kids come up with. My oldest granddaughter couldn't say Pappy for her great grandpa so she said Happy. So that's his name.

I tried to make the "flower sham" yesterday but only had some pectin I'd had a few years. It would not dissolve. So I wasted 4 cups of sugar. It's brown and lumpy. So went yesterday and got liquid pectin and reguls Sure gel. I will try again.The yard is still covered with both violets and dandelions.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  05:37:11 AM  Show Profile
So beautiful! It's time for me to go hunting for violets, I do believe.

http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  05:38:08 AM  Show Profile
Kris~did you buy your liquid pectic in the same aisle as the box pectin? I made 2 batches of Aunt Jenny's recipe (Monday and Tuesday night after work) and tonight, I'd like to make the Prairie Land herb recipe which calls for the liquid. Is there a huge difference in the way it's administered?

For those with cloudy jelly, it's really important to stir, stir, stir, and dissolve both the pectin and the sugar slowly (while stirring!). I also skim off the top foam, too.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  08:11:13 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I am going to make it tonight and I'll let you know. It seems like the liquid qould be a little easier to use and be less cloudy? I'll soon see.

I am drinking some dandelion tea right now. I thought it might help with the horrible allergies I am being hit with right now. The pollen is very high here and I am really suffering. I can barely breath at night when I lay down. Lots of Vicks. And I just have to have my windows open and hang clothes in all this. I bought some very local honey a few days ago so I hope that will help too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  3:41:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh goody, goody.
My DH rescued me from my lack of violets dilemma. He went down to mow our son's lawn while he is on vacation, called me on the cell phone and said, "Nan, what do violets look like". He knew I was pining for a batch of violet jelly. What he described certainly sounded like violets, so I quickly drove down to have a look see. My son's yard is full of violets. I had never seen them there before, I believe he has always been too quick to mow and I have always missed them. We picked to our hearts content and the violet tea is steeping now. Violet jelly is on the menu for tomorrow evenings meal!!! What joy.
N@n

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  4:14:33 PM  Show Profile
Yippeeeeeeeeeee!

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  08:29:52 AM  Show Profile
Karrieann- I made 4 pints of violet jelly using the recipe you recommended and it is delicious! My yard and my mom's yard next door are now devoid of violets. :) Thanks for sharing.

Karin

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
www.athreadofred.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  08:34:53 AM  Show Profile
hahahaha Karin! Wonderful!
...just want to add this in, Thanks to FebruaryViolet for gettin us involved with this delightful fun!

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  09:16:56 AM  Show Profile
Nan, what a great hubby you've got! That's so sweet of him. Have you made jelly yet? I am getting ready to go pick in a few minutes. I am making bread and granola right now. And it's raining. So me and Kansas will pick violets and dandelions in the sprinkling rain! I am just going to go barefoot but I will put on a rain jacket. Then later this afternoon it's jelly time! Mt parents are coming this weekend. So I am baking today. I found a good recipe for lemon thyme shortbread I'm also going to make. Can't do much outside so might as well bake.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  09:22:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh my! What a beautiful color! I have never heard of violet jelly before. I have made rose and lavander. I have a wonderful, very fragrant violet in my garden, so next spring....!!!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

http://www.myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com/
http://www.iglitteredthecat.blogspot.com/
http://www.glitterandgrunge.com/ (turner hill studio)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnerHillStudio/
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  10:21:43 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to try this. I make a lot of jellies, but I've never tasted violet jelly and I have a lot of wild purple yellow and white violets here. I'll only use the purple ones and see what it tastes like. It's raining here today so I will have to wait until it's dry.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  7:03:07 PM  Show Profile
I also made the violet jelly tonight. It turned out really good and so purple. I found the liquid pectin. I think I will start using that from now on. With the powder it's hard to get it all stirred in. But the liquid dissolves right away. No problem. It jelled real fast too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  05:11:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm sure this question will be asked a million times if we don't have a clear answer, as I'm still confused!

From my understanding, you do NOT pick the petals off of the flowerhead, you simply pick the flowerhead, with as little stem as possible. Correct?

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  05:23:11 AM  Show Profile
That is how I made mine and everyone loves it. That is also what I have seen on three different sites. Just the stems are removed. Now dandelion jelly is different, if you want to try that, it is petals only used.

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  05:25:33 AM  Show Profile
I already did :) It turned out great! I just wanted to get a clear answer for the violets, as in this thread, and the dandelion jelly one had questions regarding how to pick the violets. :) Thank you!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  05:33:49 AM  Show Profile
Megan, my husband was actually the "picker" but we used the whole flower head (for the Violets)...

Made two more batches last night, girls, using the liquid pectin. Definitely makes a clearer, prettier jelly. But, as my husband says, "we'll have to taste it to be REALLY sure!" :)

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  07:23:15 AM  Show Profile
LOL. I'm going to Kroeger today on my lunch, I'l look and see if they have liquid pectin. :) I've got the powdered stuff at home, if they only have the powder, would 1 pack of the powder work?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Violet Jellies!.. who is making theirs? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page