LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  1:14:40 PM  Show Profile
I'm jumping the gun of course, but I am thinking that in about 6 months I will be swimming in eggs! I decided a good thing to be doing when I have extra eggs is to be making my own mayo.
I absolutely love home made mayonnaise and tried it a few times over the winter with less than satisfactory results.
I right this minute have 3 egg yolks in the bowl of my food processor warming up to room temp. Have the mustard and grapeseed and canola oils ready and so will try it again.
I cringe every time it doesn't work, because I feel it is a waste of a lot of money to throw it all out.
I will post back here on what happens, but in the meantime, I am looking for all you wonderful cooks to tell me how you make your mayonnaise!
Any and all tips appreciated!!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  3:30:37 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I'm back!
No tips yet?
Hmmm, does anyone make their own mayo? I don't like the ingredient list in the store bought, that's why I want to make my own.
Okay, so it turned out pretty good. Maybe it is too cold in winter to make mayo.
This is what I did:
I warmed up 3 large egg yolks to room temp. Added 1 tsp. mustard to them and turned it on in my food processor. Mixed well.
Then I slowly drizzled in 1 cup of mixed grapeseed and canola oils. When it started getting thicker, I poured in another 1/2 cup. When it was thick enough I added a big splash of lemon juice and some salt and pepper.
It came out nice and thick.....maybe a little too thick. I had to add more salt, and to me it tastes a little, well, oily.
But, I will definitely eat it!
No preservatives either!!! :)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  3:59:15 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I have tried different oils and can only get safflower oil to work for my recipe. All the other oils are runny where the safflower is nice and think. I love it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  4:12:24 PM  Show Profile
I've never made mayo. I'd like to try it. If I'm ever looking for a recipe of perfection, I always look to Alton Brown. Here's his for Mayo:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/mayonnaise-recipe/index.html

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  5:24:05 PM  Show Profile
I tried the recipe from Alton Brown's show Good Eats. I only did it twice, but it worked well. I wish I still had cable JUST for Alton Brown!

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  5:54:56 PM  Show Profile
OMGoodness Amy, I wish I could get rid of cable, but I can't because of Alton Brown! Well, for the food network in general, but I especially love to wind down at night to some "Good Eats". We hardly ever watch any TV, but we have cable purely for the fact that hubby and I will watch food shows at night in bed LOL! I think with people currently dropping their cable services for online shows, if the cable companies were smart they would start offering customizable cable. There are many stations that you can't watch online and food network is one of those. They could charge $5 a month per channel or something like that and they would probably make good money that way if people chose two or three of their favorite channels for a lower cost, rather than dropping it all together.

Sorry...back on topic LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  06:40:17 AM  Show Profile
I make my own and it always turns out great. IMO, the trick is to drizzle the oil in SUPER slow. I do mine in our blender and it always comes out nice and thick.

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  06:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We make our own mayo here and it is SOO good! Yummy! Here is the recipe I use and we have used both olive oil and soybean oil
http://homecooking.about.com/od/saladrecipes/r/blcon64.htm

It's SOO good! You'll never want to eat store bought mayo again!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  09:02:33 AM  Show Profile
I made mayo this weekend to eat with artichokes, and I did it by hand with a whisk. In the past, I've tried the food processor method many times and always failed. Using the whisk took a little arm power, but it turned out beautifully! Light and fluffy and everyone loved it! I used garlic, fresh squeezed lemon juice, alittle dijon mustard, and spanish extra virgin olive oil from trader joe's.
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  1:12:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mamarude

I made mayo this weekend to eat with artichokes, and I did it by hand with a whisk. In the past, I've tried the food processor method many times and always failed. Using the whisk took a little arm power, but it turned out beautifully! Light and fluffy and everyone loved it! I used garlic, fresh squeezed lemon juice, alittle dijon mustard, and spanish extra virgin olive oil from trader joe's.

This is similar to the recipe I use but I am going to try dry mustard instead of Dijon next time.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  1:28:13 PM  Show Profile
I really need to try making this. We don't use alot of mayonnaise so when I purchase a jar it takes us (just the 2 of us) a long time to use it up, it usually expires before we do. I like being able to control quantity and what is in it. Thanks for posting this thread Brenda.

I love Alton Brown too! You can get little snippets on Hulu.com

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need your best mayo tips!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page