Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 13 months old and finicky...what am I doing wrong?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic 13 months old and finicky...what am I doing wrong? Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  07:06:43 AM  Show Profile
Our pediatrician said that "between the age of 12 months and 15 months you'll want to pull your hair out!" and I'm thinking this is true. Violet has turned into the most finicky eater on the planet...we transitioned very easily to cows milk at 12 months, and sippy cups. I'd like some help from you gals, because aside from being frustrated, I'm a little worried about her nutritional intake, too.

She used to eat veggie purees and fruits, and when she was a bit older, she would eat a bit of chicken or pork or whatever we were having. Now she flat out refuses anything even remotely close to "solid food" with the exception of macaroni and cheese. I keep introducing foods to her like cheeses, pieces of apple, etc..and she squishes them in her hands, or pokes them until they're inedible (or gives them to the dogs ) and I get pretty frustrated. She won't even try them.

A typical menu for Violet is like this:
Breakfast:
organic cereal bar, 7 oz. organic whole milk
or steel cut Irish oat meal (dh says "once I get it into her mouth, she eats!") so that's a struggle, too.

lunch:
usually some pasta thing because that's all she'll eat, and an organic yogurt

dinner:
I try to give her what we're having...but end up being really frustrated and go back to yogurt or something like that.

So, it seems like all she eats is dairy and carbs, with an occasional fruit or veggie (within a carb). At my mil's, she eats a grilled cheese for lunch, which is great that she's eating, but it's still bread and dairy.

On the weekends, I do make her smoothies with organic yogurt, milk, and blackberries, which she LOVES. Is there something I can sneak in there that will help with her vege intake?

Help. Please.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  07:18:51 AM  Show Profile
From a mom who has raised 5 healthy kids.... Let her eat what she will eat. Put in in front of her. If she doesn't want it, she won't eat. If she does, she will. And best of all.... she will survive!

If you can hide things in her food, go for it. If she's just eating bread, then bread it probably what her body needs right now.

If she loves smoothies, then give her smoothies. Put out some carrots, broccoli, etc. and dip or peanut butter. Not on her plate, but just away from her. See if she asks for it.

Trust me. She will be ok. I have had kids go through phases where the only thing they would eat was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for weeks at a time. When that phase was over it was something else.

SHe is just a kid. This to shall pass. The big thing to remember is to NOT let it upset you!! If you let it upset you and she senses it... then it becomes a power struggle. Not worth that!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  07:19:26 AM  Show Profile
how about a v8 type juice? Tori is my picky eater and it is rare I can get fruits and veggies in here, even though when she was smaller she would pig out on them.
I talked to the nutritionist and she said that as long as I can get fruit and veggie juice in her, then she is still getting her right amounts.
8oz.=1 serving of fruits or veggies.

You just need to be careful and make sure you get the good stuff because if you have to do it that way and you get the concentrates, it is a lot of sugar intake for someone so small.
Hope that helps!
hugs
Jessie

"I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go." ~Abraham Lincoln

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  07:43:48 AM  Show Profile
My sister really struggles with her oldest. there are days where the only thing he will eat is a few crackers and MAYBE a granola bar. Of course your doctors advice is always best but her doc said that since he was a healthy weight that she shouldnt really worry. Just have some foods available to her all the time so she can eat what we want. From what I understand kids really "graze" more than eat meals. They seem more in tune to what their bodies need and truly only eat when they are hungry. As adults I think our idea of true hunger is really skewed!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  08:27:52 AM  Show Profile
I've got three kids and they all have gone through picky stages and survived. I agree with Angie's suggestions. Just put it on the table and she will eventually start eating it. She won't starve and kid's seem to have the instinct for what they need. With mine I could always tell when they were in a growth spurt because they would only eat certain things, like carbs and dairy. Don't stress about it she will be just fine.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  08:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
A food battle is the last thing you want. My daughter grazed. I gave her health food in small bits. She ate when she was hungry. They end up ok. But don't let it be a battle.

Her little brain tells her when and what to eat. It is best to let it tell her. She'll have less problems later.

Some days they eat like they can't get enough, other days they go on air.

Lots of prayers for you.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  08:48:33 AM  Show Profile
Kids are smarter than the adults. My doctor said my baby will eat what she needs and the move on to something else. when my oldest was about that age all she wanted was vanilla cookies and NO MILK. As long as you don't make a big issue out of it she will---believe me---move on. Introduce and don't make a fuss if she won't eat. Making it a battle only gives her problems later on. Just relax!! MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  08:55:04 AM  Show Profile
Alright, gals...seems like the main theme in your posts is to not make a big deal out of it. I guess I need to control my "control freak" that says she needs to have "so much this, so much that"...I do feel like a hypocrite because we grow our own veggies and I eat pretty healthy, and she won't touch anything good for her with a 10 foot pole!

She is more long than lean, but always has been. I'll keep putting the food near her and see what happens. When she's REALLY hungry, she kicks and "hoots".

Not to be too gross, but he stool does seem to be affected...she just doesn't have easy poos (more like rabbits!) so I worry about that part--too much of these two things, but not enough veges to keep things moving through.

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  09:36:10 AM  Show Profile
My kids when they were little , would graze thru the veggy gardens, and since I grow and raise everything organic, its fine. My youngest got finicky, but if he was allowed to pick it himself, he ate it. I would hide good stuff in his food that he would eat, sometimes that meant mincing it. But like all the other girls said, she will eat, when she is hungry and this phase will pass, and she will go on to one worse, just kidding.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  09:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- I remember this stage with Nora. She still does this to use every couple of months. Like the other ladies said- just keep offering her a choice, but don't make a big deal about it. One thing I learned is that babies have so little control over their lives and when they don't want to eat a food and it is forced on them by the adults in their life can set you guys up for worse battles in the future. I read a study that showed that kids that had food "forced" on them as a kid were more likely to have eating disorders later in childhood/adolecence because somewhere in their mind they equated food with control and what they eat is one of the few things they can control.

Nora will go through carb cycles, then she goes through a fruit/veg cycle, and then she usually goes into a protien cycle. Then right before her next growth spurt she eats anything that will hold still long enough! LOL

Are you giving Vi a baby vitamin? If you are truly worried about her vitamin intake you could start her on a baby vitamin. That was one thing the pediatrician recommended when Nora was about that age just to make sure she was getting all of her vitamins even when she wasn't hungry for a variety of foods.

Oh and if she likes pasta sauces like spaghetti- one thing we do to always make sure we are getting enough veggies is we make a mash of carrots, celery, onions (and other veggies depending on the sauce) in the blender and add that to the sauce. If you blend them up really well it just thickens the sauce, adds great flavor, but the kids don't realize they are eating "veggies"

Another option is to give her like a whole carrot to let her "munch" on in play. She might like a cold carrot and her little teeth will just take off smallish pieces (of course supervision is a must). She might eat more than you or she realizes if she views it more as a play item than a food item. :D

Hope that helps!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  1:39:07 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I did baby vitamin drops and still do vitamins with Bri. That way I don't worry about it.

If there is stool issues, offer more water. I used to offer flavored water. It is easier to get them to drink it. Bri is on a bottled water kick since her Aunt drinks bottled water. I just keep filling her bottle over and over. That way we aren't adding to the landfill. We have a filtered water dispenser in the refrig door. So she loves the cold water.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  03:13:34 AM  Show Profile
All 3 of my girls did this alot. My youngest is now 16 monthe old and going thru a peas only faze. It comes and goes with her. My 15 year old was watching her yesterday and called me in a panic. She said Martha hadn't eaten in three hours and was crying and she knew she was hungry but wouldn't eat anything. I had her check Marthas gums and sure enough they were swollen. A dose of baby tylenol and 30 mins later she was eating ice cream and pudding like crazy and all was fine. Maybe your little Violet is teething and mac & cheese is soft enough to not hurt. You could always finely dice very well cooked soft veggies into the mac & cheese. My girls love broccoli, carrots, and peas in it all at the same time. The texture change of her favorite foods can throw her off as well. Try mashing them up with a fork right in front of her and tell her what it is and that mommy is mashing it just for her. That works with my Martha most of the time. I also could ask my sister for the website she uses if you'd like. Her son decided last month if it wasn't chocolate he wasn't intested. She made brownies for a week that had spinache and blueberries in the and you couldn't taste them at all. I loved those brownies. Moister than mine ever were come to think of it.

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  06:34:14 AM  Show Profile
I must admit, I giggled to myself a little bit when I read your post. But, only because I've 'been there, done that'.

My oldest (who is now 6) used to eat EVERYTHING. Seriously, the child could eat an entire pan of green beans or peas to herself when she was about Violet's age. When she got to be about 2 or 3, it was "no, no, no" to anything but chicken 'nuggets' (ugh) and french fries and sweets. Obviously, we had to make a compromise, because I wasn't just going to feed her chicken and fries! So, I would make her foods that I knew she would eat (like spaghetti, etc) but I would also make new recipes a lot. Anyway, it boils down to this: I didn't stress over it. I knew she would eat when she was truly hungry. When you get upset, Violet knows it, and of all times, dinnertime should NOT be stressful! :0) She will come back around again, foodwise, I assure you and she certainly will no starve herself! As long as she is gaining weight, and is playful and energetic, don't worry, mama! I know as mama's our job is to worry, but don't sweat the small stuff (and this is definitely small stuff)

You can see by the responses that we have all been there. Keep doing what you are doing. You sound like a great mom who wants the best for Violet. :0)

And, keep putting those new foods on her plate and don't say a word about them. One day, she will get curious and try them for herself. Yes, it may take months, but oh well! I now have 2 girls and I am dedicated to making sure they are getting great nutrition. They MOST CERTAINLY do NOT eat everything that I make, and that's ok! Because, they do eat things like fruit, cheese, and yogurt. And, hey! They looooove my meatloaf! Score one for mom! lol. I did make them try one bite (because they are 4 and 6 and they can openly communicate whether they really liked it or not) and they loved it. Sure, they soak it in (organic) ketchup, but that's ok.

You're doing just fine. So just relax at mealtimes and enjoy!

Also, I got the book "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld. I think you'd really enjoy it! It's how to sneak in veggies into kid's food. I made the girls some burgers and added in pureed spinach and carrots and they NEVER suspected a thing! :0)

Edited by - msdoolittle on Apr 09 2010 06:36:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  9:27:01 PM  Show Profile
I started telling my daughter at that age... but this is your favorite?! Then she didn't know what to think, because if mommy said it, then it must be true.

She is now just about to turn 3 and has figured out the goats milk motzerella :)

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  08:02:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the responses, girls. I've been doing exactly what you said: not making a big deal. I put food out, and if she picks it up and tries it, then "yay". I am still putting together smoothies, and putting veggies into sauces and things like that.

Something so funny (and exciting to me!) happened last night with her, though...we had friends over for a little party, and my husband made salsa. We were all sitting on the porch, and I put the small salsa bowl out with a larger bowl of chips. Rosemary picked up a chip and started dipping, and SO DID VIOLET!!! And then, Violet CONTINUED dipping her chip :) So, instead of having a "quadruple dipper" I went and got her a little bowl and she continued eating the chips and salsa, dipping, then licking all the salsa off and then dipping again. It was too cute. And SO surprising!

Gave me a glimmer of hope :)

Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  08:21:46 AM  Show Profile
My oldest lived on peanut butter for almost a year. I took her to the Dr. and he said not to worry. They won't starve themselves to death at that age, they will eat. I tended to give them just healthy stuff and if they ate they ate if they didn't they didn't but I didn't resort to giving them unhealthy things just to get them to eat.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  3:10:26 PM  Show Profile
Since she likes smoothies what about adding things into those like flax seed oil and spinach?

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  05:49:32 AM  Show Profile
Yay! My youngest loooooves salsa. That is so funny! "Monkey see, monkey do", right? Lol.

Adventures in Homesteading!

www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  07:47:02 AM  Show Profile
I think it also no so much about what to eat but the delivery of it my daughter gives the girls a toothpick for stabing and eating and the kids thought how fun. apple slices/celery for dipping in peanut butter. Chips/crackers for anything tuna salad/egg salad/any kind of soft meat dip. She also gave them their own small table and retired the high chair. My grand girls drink lots of water. And they all get a vitamin.
I think trying to hide stuff is tricky at best because there little taste buds may just revolt and you might have a bigger problem.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  10:16:25 AM  Show Profile
My two year old can be a little finicky. But I try to just keep introducing new things to him and sometimes he eats and sometimes he doesn't! haha I've found that I can hide a lot of veggies in pasta as long as they're covered it marinara sauce. I figure the best thing we can do as parents is just let them see us eating and enjoying veggies and other healthy foods and hope that they get the message. Also, my little boy seems to be really excited this year about things growing in our garden and I'm hoping that helps some with getting him to eat some veggies.

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  10:18:19 AM  Show Profile
Also, I have had some success with my little boy drinking "green drink" as long as it's in a sippy cup and he can't see it! haha It may just be veggie juice, but at least it's a veggie in some form.

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

nanny
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

cyndy
st eugene ontario
Canada
9 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  10:41:16 AM  Show Profile
After raising 5 kids , I have come to rely on their own wisdom , with your guidance of course , a baby will take what they need , just keep offering her everything in small doses .stop worring , this to shall pass . i promise, it seems that you are offering her some very nutritious choices , just keep it up , and enjoy , Nanny
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic 13 months old and finicky...what am I doing wrong? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page