Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution--anyone watching?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution--anyone watching? Next Topic
Page: of 6

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  2:25:12 PM  Show Profile
Last night, I had a really great experience food-wise...we were invited to a couple's home who grow NOTHING but organic foods, beef, eggs, etc. They make most of their living by selling @ Farmer's Market and, in fact, he is the president of one of the FMs. Now, I grow a LOT of stuff (I even butchered my own turkeys this year...woohoo!!!), but they have a big leg-up on me, especially in the greens department (kale, etc). We ate grass fed beef strips, a millet/carrot/parsley casserole, and a kale casserole. It was so good! Naturally, my DD wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole ( I did bring along a PB&J w/ organic PB and J :) ) but, oh well!

I caught the tail end of the show the other day, and I could tell from the 3 minutes I got to see that I wasn't a fan of Alice, lol. But, some people just do NOT want to know, or care to know what we're eating, and they think we're trying to be some kind of elitists by promoting organic/home raised foods. What???? Isn't that what most of the country did until like about 50 or 60 years ago? They should be fighting tooth and nail to preserve farmer's rights, and to educate people about the REAL problems with foods today. Most people have no idea what a GMO is, or where their eggs come from, or what goes into meat/milk.

I agree, it is high time for a revolution!!!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  3:54:05 PM  Show Profile
Ya'll , I am so happy. I went by my daughter and her fiance's house and they had plowed up BOTH sides of their yard and are going to start gardening!! They are both so excited! Me too. They have been watching this food revolution and have seen Food Inc. I am going to order meat chickens and she wants some! This is just amazing. I am so proud of them both. They have really been watching what they eat and really turning around here. The neighbors were stopping to see what they were doing. It was so cute. Everyone should plow up their front yards and garden. They may be starting their own food revolution right in their own neighborhood.

I can't wait to see tonight's show.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  4:15:08 PM  Show Profile
I have watched a couple, and will watch the rest. After watching Food Inc, Supersize me, and the couple Jamie episodes, I am all the more determined to go organic all the way. I even ordered his book today.

Planted some of my garden today, with organic seeds, found someone who sells organic eggs, and delivers to your house, as well as organic goats milk. I have always tried to feed my family well, always from scratch, fruits and veggies. Now it is just going to be better and more of the same. My local farmers markets opens next month, can't wait!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

http://www.iglitteredthecat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  05:32:15 AM  Show Profile
Well, what did ya'll think of Miss Alice? And I was so sickened to hear the government says they don't care about how much sugar is in milk as long as the kids get the calcium. Oh my gosh! Just another way they are screwing us. But I was happy to hear the principle of the elementary scholl when the hospital ad. asked how the kids liked the food and what he thought. The principle said the kids behavior had improved alot since they started eating the fresh homemade food. DUH! And they got the colored liquid crap out of there! Yeah for them! That's a huge step. And the teacher that told her kids NOT to get the colored milk. She needs an award for that. And the kids got the white milk! Wow. Teachers do have a big impact on those kids.

Kansas was watching it with me and she said she never gets the other milk just the white milk. Good for her. I just wish they could have the "real" milk. And she said she wished Jamie would come to her school.

I was not really sure about the US Food part. I am still leary of where all that food comes from. I know it's probably from conventional farms. But at least it's pretty fresh without all the crap added. And there are 60 more wearhouses just like that all over the country.

They've been showing the previous week before this week's episode. But I missed the flash mob scene. I wanted to see it again. It was so amazing.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  06:58:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Hey Kris!

That is AWESOME about the "kids" starting a garden! Maybe they will start their own food revolution!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

tnts momma
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Anna
Visalia California
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  07:05:59 AM  Show Profile
We need more people like Jamie. He is trying to do something for our country that he does not have to but the kindness of his heart is telling him to. There really is a problem here in the United States with respect to how folks eat. Don't get me wrong because I understand that sometimes, it is much easier and cheaper to go through the Drive Thru at a fast food establishment and order. I am the first to admit, I am guilty of this. The economy is not a big help either. I just hope and wish more people would tune in to this show and really see what does go on. I am just one person and cannot wave my magic wand. What I can do is encourage my fellow sisters to tune into his show and let your friends and family know about this. We have to stand up for our family and children.

Anna

Farmgirl Sister #1397
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  07:13:05 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kris I was confused about the US thing - drink calcium no matter how much sugar is attached??? I guess they have not read all the studies that show calcium is absorbed from other sources quicker in the system then thru milk. Besides how can you call it milk when you have added sugar, food colorings, preservatives and such to it. Not to mention all those plastic containers. But I guess we are to handle one problem at a time.

I still think we need to place Alice in the freezer - her expressions and vibes she give off - I would hate to have my children view that each day - would it kill her to just think outside the box a bit. Really in the freezer with her Ice Age Thinking..

I loved the "Healthy Fast Food Truck" that is such an incredible concept... My gosh I was so excited to see that and think there was hope. I must say when the showed previews of next week my heart sank. How could folks let that fail??? How can you go back when you have been shown the light - see this is why I like being with animals better the people - an animal learns by mistakes - humans seem to just take the lazy way out. Jamie has shown that his way is easy, healthier, cost effective and gives you a better life - well maybe the saying "Survival of the fitest" is true. My heart breaks for the kids who are left in the hands of the weak adults...

I know in TV land they will have to end it on a high note but why do we have to have such drama??

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  08:08:33 AM  Show Profile
Grace, but they are the same people that say a french fry is a veggie! So how can we trust that? How can people trust the government to tell us how to live and what we can eat? And where to get our vitamins and menerals. They are also the ones that said raw milk was bad for us and started the whole pasturizing thing. Oh my. What are we going to do?

I just talked to my DD. The one who has the new garden in the front yard. I asked her what her neighbor said as I was leaving yesterday. They told him what they were doing and he just shook his head. How sad is that? Geeze, now he has to look at nice beautiful veggies growing in the front yard instead of a lawn and a lawnmower. Sigh.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  08:35:10 AM  Show Profile
I was kind of leery of the US Food Company, too. But they can only stock what the people order. They are not there to educate the public. But the fact that he showed Jamie all the fresh food that is available was great.
If jamie just keeps plugging away at those who make the decisions and spend the money, maybe they will "get it"
But, if the front line are people like Alice.... we're doomed
Love this show.
Hooray for the teachers who encourage the kids to make good choices. Of course, those little elementary kids will listen to their teachers. They still think they are the greatest at that age.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  09:22:35 AM  Show Profile
I can't believe the flavored milk thing. We never had flavored milk in school and the kids drank the milk. I was glad to see the high school kids take a stand for the better food. I guess when given a real choice, the kids will favor change - especially if it bucks the system....!! I know when we were in high school, if it meant that we were going against the "ruling class" that is what we would choose. I guess teenagers haven't really changed all that much.

I agree with you about Alice. With a negative attitude like that she shouldn't be preparing food for children. I believe that our intentions are important, and if our energy isn't good then we are putting negativity into what we are preparing no matter how healthy the choice. I think it boils down to people are afraid of change by and large, even good change. Most people are creatures of habit and it takes time and repetition to change habit and build new attitudes. Look at the difference with the elementary children when the adults interacted with them, encouraged them and educated them along with just feeding them. Attitude is everything.

I was glad to see the healthy "fast food" too. Perhaps there is some hope that we can change this road we are on. But it starts with the mind, and then has to reach into the heart for it to be anything long lasting. Look how long it took to get DDT off the market - corporate America isn't going to go down without a fight. But WE decide where the market goes by what sells. In this country that's where the power lies - money. We have to put our money where are heart is.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  4:52:16 PM  Show Profile
How great was that? I like that they showed "back to back" episodes so folks could catch up if they're just tuning in. Jamie is just incredible in so many ways...I love how he sat down with the hospital board and after realizing that they were all about "perception" he simply said, "how can you help ME." And, Grace, the "gut truck" with the healthy food was just incredible! Can you imagine that going to steel mills, construction sites, colleges, etc? And yes, even the hospital. I noted that there were quite a few folks standing in that line (who worked at the hospital) who were overweight, though my mother was a nurse and she said all the nurses she worked with were just awful when it came to caring for themselves.

One step at a time, and if we all do one thing, we make a difference. Awe inspiring. I've asked for 2 more of Jamie's cookbooks for Mother's Day, so cross fingers! My husband teases that I just want Jamie to call me a "foxy chic"!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  6:16:46 PM  Show Profile
I was at Earth Fare today getting some groceries (spent way too much. Yikes!) And at the meat counter I met the nicest lady. She was there with her husband and 3 daughters. She's a teacher. We started talking about food and this show. She's been watching it and talking to her kids at school. That was so neat. I love talking to people about things like this. There are alot of very smart people that want to see change and are doing it.

Sheri, I agree. You said that very well. We are creatures of habit and it takes alot to get that thinking changed.

Like Jonni says, one step at a time.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  9:17:34 PM  Show Profile
I just finished watching all the episodes on Hulu, as I don't have cable. How great!!! I think Jamie is if nothing else, shaking things up, and that can be good. Especially the fact it is on tv, where millions can see.

Change, your right Sheri. We like our comort zones, and foods. Even though I am making my own changes in the way I want to eat, I am finding it hard to give up a couple things, by finding healthier replacements. I am trying to not beat myself up when I eat something not as good for me, because of habit, cause I know I will only make it harder for myself if I do. I have 49 years of habit and mind set to change.

As for Miss Alice, well, I am glad she seemed to soften a bit at the end of the 5th show. There will always be Miss Alices in the world, we just have to duck feather them.

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  11:14:16 AM  Show Profile
I was very impressed with the teacher who told her students that they had to take a white milk at lunch (these little ones looked like gr 1 or 2). At that age teachers (and parents) certainly can tell the kids what they should grab.

I'm not impressed with Alice(and she's not the only lunch lady out there like that) who seems to be negative at every turn. Yes cooking from scratch would be a little more work than slicing open a chicken nuggets bag and dropping them into boiling oil, but it's called planning. Once you dump all the ingredients into a chili, sloppy joe or spaghetti sauce pot it pretty well cooks itself. I wouldn't be surprised if schools asked for parent volunteers to help with cutting veggies etc. for the noon hour that they'd have many people come out.

It was interesting to see that the warehouse stocks healthy alternatives for schools but it's the SCHOOLS themselves who are being lazy and choosing the poor choices to serve kids. I bet a lot a parents didn't realize that was the case.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  08:04:25 AM  Show Profile
Phew! I had to get caught up with ya'll.... I've been sick for a week and haven't felt like being on the computer. BUT, a couple pages back someone posted about 'over-reacting'. Darnnit I think we have a RIGHT to over react. I think we have a RIGHT to be kicking and screaming and fuming about what we are presented to eat. And then to top it all off, I own my own farmers market on my property and I've got the Monsanto's now telling me what seed I should plant? Its all connected and I'm blazing hot about this topic.
Lasts weeks episode with the hospital boards had me rolling. Jamie kept interuppting and flat out was like "so what can you do for these schools?" It was a simple question that kept getting "politic'd" to death. I loved the healthy gut truck... I should do that. I should do county fairs and whatever.... that'd be an easy investment really. A concession stand, a conversion van...
Anyhow... Alice.....why I oughta...... did you see the previews for next week? They go back to their old ways! ARGH!
Its really up to each and every one of us. Don't buy the packaged stuff. Supply and demand, If demand is gone, then there will be no supply of it. I go to several different grocery stores and I think all the produce managers run for cover when they see me. Cuz I ask questions they can't answer, I inform innocent by standers and if something looks nasty, I call a team member to go get something fresher. I'm very lucky that I live close to an independant store owner that farmed for a living. 90% of all the veggies are grown in my county. I love that little store. Not much of a selection, but I really don't need it.
Sound off girls....I'm on Twitter and retweeting Jamie's words!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
www.onefunkyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
~Heaven doesn't want me, and Hell's afraid I'll take over!~
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  10:36:50 AM  Show Profile
I have not been on line in a long while.. but read a lot & have watched Jamies show... I agree with him.. He has a lot of courage to take on the Revolution project.. Way to go!

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen
Be sure to check us out
http://www.Klamathfallscharmingchicks.blogspot.com and my personal
Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  10:40:09 AM  Show Profile
I thought you would all like to know that my daughter came home from school last week (she's in 1st grade) and told me that they had to try different fruits and veggies. While she didn't care for the broccoli, she did like carrots, and naturally all of the fruits. YAY!!! I was so happy to hear that this went on at school. I think I'm gonna call the teacher today and thank her! :0)))))))

a

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  10:56:25 AM  Show Profile
Something that struck me was, with all the grief different people gave Jamie, 'why are you here', 'you'er giving us a bad wrap'; Did he just sneak into town and set up 'Jamie's Kitchen' in the dead of night when no one could see? Did he just show up at the school and say he wanted to change things? Where the people really concerned they were on tv? I think not. Jamie would have had to talk to someone to get this going. He would have had to get permits for the kitchen, permission to go into the schools, and yet everyone seemed so suprised he was there. The radio guy, would have had pr stuff come across his desk before hand. There had to be a story or 2 in the local paper about him coming. So, why have so many acted so affronted by the whole thing? People are weird.

I wear my cap around my waist.

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  11:34:56 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'd only say that it IS a reality TV show, after all! Who knows what the real truth is? Are Alice and the DJ being coached into being obstinate, for the sake of ratings? I mean, how would we really know? If Jamie just coasted into a town and everybody was like, "Oh, Ok! We're gonna do everything you say!", do you think as many people would watch? Just something to consider.

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  09:05:15 AM  Show Profile
Pretty incredible stuff,ladies. I was up at our local Borders bookstore and they had a table a hardv=cover books...yup,there it was Jamies Food Revolution..only 1 copy left in the store !!!! Awesome !!!
The whole flaovrd yukky colired milk thing. My little sis and I were talking about about "back in the day" in elementary school when we had "milk breaks" mid-morning. Anyone else out there have those in their schools ? They would bring in wire crates with glass 8 oz bottles of white milk from our local dairy . The huge "treat" was chocolate milk on Fridays complete with a gold paper cap seal . My point is that the good locally produced white milk was the norm not the exception and our mindset was not directed to the assumption that chocolate milk should be consumed regularly.
I went to Wanda Urbanskas SImple Living website and brushed up on the "nothing is too small to make a difference " philosophy just for the encouragement that we are all in this food revolution together. If anyone else is interedted ,check it out. It would be a nice read for this week with Earth Day coming up on Thursday 4/22. Wandas shows have, I think, all been braodcast on PBS stations. She's right in there with Jamie as far as thinking out of the box from the mainstream of living .
I LOVED the flash mob thing and wished I had doen the shopping on Firday afternoon so I could whip up that stir-fry...yum. Can't wait for the grand finale this week...stay encouraged sisters we are changing the world one home,one dish at a time !!!

Rochelle

"Nothing is too small to make a difference."
Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  06:10:22 AM  Show Profile
After seeing the trailer for the season finale I am really excited to see how this ends...or should say "begins" ??

Rochelle

(Sorry about all of the typos in the last post gals... I was wrting way too early and without my bifocal contacts in...tee-hee !!! )

"Nothing is too small to make a difference. "
Go to Top of Page

HorseLady
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Rose
Irwin PA
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2010 :  7:22:11 PM  Show Profile
I hate to see the show end. It was a very eye-opening show in many ways. Rather shocking at how kids are eating and this is our tax dollars at work! But I think it starts at home. Not a simple problem, not a simple solution. Kids nowadays think nothing of going to McDonald's several times a week for meals because this is where their parents take them, they think this is normal. Even in a regular restaurant, did you ever see the kids' menu? Hot dogs, chicken fingers, fries, mac and cheese. Do they think children aren't capable of eating real food? Very complex problem, and I think a complex solution that involves all of American society, private citizens, and government. Can't see it happening..........

Hug a horse or a dog today!
Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  05:29:59 AM  Show Profile
We can only hope,Rose. I agree it really begins at home and I think that was part of Jmaies point of actually going into a private home to help them rethink there own eating/shopping habits. The schools are the real "toughies" with budgeting,etc. Just be encouraged and do what we can do in our homes and communities.

Rochelle

"Nothing is too small to make a difference." - Wanda Urbanska
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  4:47:46 PM  Show Profile
The last show airs tonight. I urge everyone to go to www.jamieoliver.com and sign his petition. He still needs more names.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 23 2010 4:49:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  8:38:19 PM  Show Profile
Well, I am taking Alice out of the freezer - Good for her - she saw the light and is passing it foreword...

I must say after Thursday being Earth Day we also need to teach parents to stop purchasing those Lunchables because they are horrible food but also all that plastic wrapping. Also, all those jello cups - read what goes into jello and you will not eat it...

But what a great start and I sent that petition site to just about everyone I could think of. We need to stand up and show we what a change!!!

First reality show I ever watched and a darn good one.. Thanks Jamie.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution--anyone watching? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page