Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution--anyone watching?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution--anyone watching? Next Topic
Page: of 6

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  05:38:22 AM  Show Profile
OMG! I am disgusted! I cannot believe the US GOVERNMENT is at the bottom of this whole thing! Well, yes I can really. They are doing this to us. They are the ones in charge of deciding what those poor kids eat and they are the ones who put it on those plates. How can they sleep at night? I hope everyone who works for the almighty USDA watched this whole series. I quit trusting government a long time ago and this just seals the deal for me. I hate ot be so anti whatever about this but really. And those "parents" that gave their kids all that junk instead of the good food that is now available should be slapped! Honestly, how do they think that chips and glow-in-the-dark jello and candy and those awful plastic trays with that so called food is a good substitute for the lunches they have now? Where have they been? And the fizzy pop! That's too funny.

I was very happy to see Miss Alice had changed so much and was ready to help Jamie. I knew she would. She has a good heart.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  07:13:32 AM  Show Profile
I know how to change it. HeHeHe. I tell people what's in that fast food and that hamburger "meat" and what's in those boxes of pre-fab "food."

And the baloney that it takes longer to fix real food? What's the difference between fixing Tuna Helper and getting out real whole wheat noodles to boil and opening a can of tuna?
Really.

Well, this started happening a long time ago [funny doesn't seem so long to me though]. Women where being told that convenience foods where the way to go and that the woman who used things like canned soup to make a meal faster where modern homemakers [they also touted the savings that came with packaged foods - an eronious yap today]. Cookbooks went on to develop recipes that used canned and eventually boxed ingredients.

Susie Homemaker could be real proud of the fair she produced for her family and she did it fast enough to be able to do other chores before hubby came home. See a trend here?

Thing is, there wasn't that kind of crap in the pre-fab foods that there is now.
I look at that boxed stuff [because it would be nice to be able to do quickie instant when I'm working two jobs and would like some choclet cake] but there's either no food listed in the ingredients or there's so much garbage that I can't have it.
And every bag of potato chips but "plain" has MSG in it. Then there's corn syrup or a derivative used in place of sugar. And then lots of salt to counteract the sugery taste in all this stuff. Yuck!

The human body is a wondrous machine, finely balanced, needing a good mixture to work properly. When it is shorted on certain ingredients [like the vitamins and minerals from real veggies and fruits] or given an excess of other things, it malfunctions. The immune system is suppressed when it doesn't have all the wonderful goodies it needs.

Now I'm not preaching because all vegetables taste like construction materials to me, but I know what will happen if I don't eat them. And for growing children, the absence of proper food has such horrible results on developing bodies and the formation of cells and the basic building blocks.

Wonder why we have problems with road rage and other emotional disorders. Obesity, corn syrup anyone? Cancer? Dementia?
Add that to a youth oriented culture with no memory length and I see the setup for social trauma or weakness to another outbreak of something like that 1918 flu epademic.

The biggest thing I see is that people aren't paying attention. They aren't looking at what the consume, where it comes from, why they are doing it [because everyone else is? Huh?]
That's the easy road. But you know, there's a proverb about that somewhere....

Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  07:50:34 AM  Show Profile
I think a lot of the problem boils down to community. I really think we have lost that connectedness. Half the time people don't even talk to each other anymore they text. It creates insular little bubbles and keeps people apart to the extent that we've lost the notion that we are all in this together. We can change it. It's not the government, it's us. WE decided by what we buy. If you can get enough people on board, then the plastic food they are selling won't sell, and it won't be worth their while to make it anymore. Have you noticed the commercials for high fructose corn syrup? Enough people are saying they don't want it in their food anymore that it's making a difference and they are trying to convince people that it isn't bad for them "in moderation" - that it's the same as sugar. So already it's starting to make a dent in their market. I hate to say it, but people are like sheep (not to insult my sheep...) but if one gets scared, the whole group bolts. If one thinks it's okay, the whole group does. The more folks that think it's okay, the more the rest of the "herd" will think it's ok too. Everyone wants to fit in and be "normal".

Kudos to Alice to jump in with a good heart and attitude after all the hate mail. The more it becomes "normal" the more apt it is to stick around. The USDA will change what it subsidizes if no one is buying what they have. Unfortunately it is all about money. Most schools can't afford the change. There it is, the paradox. We can get laws changed but it takes WE to band together and these days with the political climate so divided I don't know that it would be possible.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  12:31:50 PM  Show Profile
I didn't see the finale, was all wrapped up in Glee. Hope they rerun it.
Just got back from the grocery. They had antibiotic free, vegetarian whole chickens for about $3.50 each so I stocked up. When i got in line, the lady in back of me had a cart full of Lunchables, & 2 plastic containers of strawberry "Nestle Quick" or whatever. Nice wholesome eating..YIKES!
Go to Top of Page

HorseLady
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Rose
Irwin PA
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  7:08:52 PM  Show Profile
Article today in our local paper from an obese family. The mom never took responsbility for feeding herself and her family junk food but then went on to blame the school for allowing her son to eat chips and candy for lunch and wants them to monitor him in school. She says she's too busy working to make good food. Don't you think that all this "busyness" is part of the big picture/problem? When did everyone get so busy that they can't spend 30 minutes making a meal? When Jamie's show was starting, they showed a local school with all the packaged crap they get for lunch and they actually had a packaged PB&J sandwich. I think it's just laziness , too, on the lunch ladies who know it's easier to heat up crap than actually cook food. I think that's why Alice, on the show, was so resistive. It involved work.

I do think that Rhonda really wanted to put the processed food back in the schools in Huntingdon and I bet it will reappear because they have all that store house of "food" that she claims she can't send back. The horrible thing was after all this, she had actually ordered processed crap for next school year, which she didn't have to do. She claims she will cancel the order, but I wondered, why in the world did she do it in the first place?

I hope Jamie does some specials now and then to update everyone. They really condensed 3 months worth of work into a few short weeks. I'm sure it was much more difficult than what we even saw on tv.

There's so much talk out there, but little action....................

Hug a horse or a dog today!
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2010 :  7:38:31 PM  Show Profile
Saw something on Yahoo today where Jamie went back to Huntington 3 mos later & nothing had changed. Very sad
Here is link
http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/jamie-oliver-failed-change-huntingtons-eating-habits-04-25-2010
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  07:56:33 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HorseLady

Article today in our local paper from an obese family. The mom never took responsbility for feeding herself and her family junk food but then went on to blame the school for allowing her son to eat chips and candy for lunch and wants them to monitor him in school. She says she's too busy working to make good food....

This made me laugh out loud! I work full time, drive to pick up my baby girl from Nana's, then home, make a homemade dinner, give her a bath, get her ready for bed and THEN sit down at 9:30 or 10:00, go to bed and get up and do it all over again!! On Sunday, I managed to make homemade bread (without a bread machine)for the week, clean my house, do laundry, cook dinner (what? Again???) and take care of my little one. That a WOMAN and a MOTHER can't accomplish this is ridiculous...lazy and selfish, really...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  10:09:07 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the link to sign Jamie's petition. I've been a big fan of his for years. I believe he is on the right track and hope he succeeds in his mission. I always send my little boy's lunch every day to school with him. I buy organic only for him since I know the school can't afford too.

As for what schools serve to the kids at lunch, that is up to the school district on who gets the contract and for what kind of food. My ex-husband was a lawyer for a school district and the school board made all the decisions regarding contracts for everything. Hopefully school board members are really listening and will change their ways too.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  12:36:36 PM  Show Profile
That's so crazy to blame someone else for your families health. No one is too busy to cook real food. That's just crazy.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  1:04:06 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda is the one in the last couple of episodes who got on my last nerve. Her reasoning makes no sense to me. Go, Alice! I love you!!

Did you see the little girl whose lunch consisted of 2 baggies of chips and 1 baggie of jelly beans? I mean, seriously? What kind of lunch is that? I was so glad to see people come around. I'm afraid though that the parents who have allowed this to happen to their children will not take any responsibility on their part. I have a friend who has been huge since we were 13 and her mom was always making excuses. Her mom got so big she could barely walk! The thing is, we were really poor growing up and ate a lot of beans and corn bread too, but get off your butt and do something!!

DH and I are going to see what we can do. We live in 1 school district and have a grandchild in another here and the other grandkids are out of state. But like DH said, we are taxpayers and we have a right to know how our money is spent and if we don't approve, we also have the right to demand changes.

GO JAMIE!!!

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  1:19:13 PM  Show Profile
Beans and cornbread aren't bad for you...in fact, beans are one of the healthiest and low fat things you can eat (the fatback is what kills you!). I've said it before--it's ignorance, and a lot of just plain ole laziness. I can't for the life of me figure out how a "lunchable" appears appetizing to a parent. Does cheese really come in that shape? Turkey and ham, too? The question I ask myself right now, as a mother, is, "would I eat it?" And if I won't, then Violet isn't going to.

I like your idea, Kay...if you don't like how your tax dollars are spent, speak up. It's a good lesson for all of us who have school aged children, soon to be, or grandchildren.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  7:38:34 PM  Show Profile
When my sons where little we made lunchables before there was such a thing. They would help me cut out biscuits we made from scratch, then with the same cookie cutters they would cut out quality cheeses and meats. Then they could add whatever else they wanted, homemade mayo, good mustards, homemade pickles and so on. They would then pick which fruit, veggies and homemade cookie or quick cake. They loved cooking from a early age, they ate what they brought to school and now as grown ups they have the skills to eat from scratch.

I think too many folks where never shown a way of managing themselves. I with you - I worked two jobs, went to college, managed a infant and household. Did it without take out, drugs or help but then I saw that everyday growing up so I thought that is how life worked. I know we can not do it all but I think we can make much wiser, informed choices and for goodness sake be an example for your children not an excuse.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  7:53:31 PM  Show Profile
Grace - that was just normal. We now have this weird new normal where every part of life has to be instant. It never dawned on me to do it any other way. The same with cloth diapers, homemade baby food, etc. I could have bought disposables but we couldn't afford them. The ladies from my Mom's grange threw me a shower and gave me dozens of them - they thought it was great that I wanted to raise my kids the "old way". I don't think people know how to do it anymore. My daughter cooks for her friends in NYC and they are just so bowled over by it. She bakes bread, and cooks from scratch.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  08:11:13 AM  Show Profile
Call me silly but Sheri my heart just sings when I hear you daughter cooks from scratch - I guess for me I look at it as you taught your daughter to find a path that honors herself, her health and the earth. You did a wonderful job at teaching her and I hope more mothers decided to care for their children and for the earth. I am very much a women's lib lady - but I taught my sons that is it everyone's work to care for the home, the kids, each other and the planet. I thought that was what we marched for all those years ago - that we would put no limits on our sons or daughters but rather we would show them all the paths. So far I think all most folks where shown was the fast food lanes....

Keep up the great work - showing and teaching by example.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  08:26:43 AM  Show Profile
Sheri & Grace, I know what you mean about the homecooking thing. My son & his new bride have had a couple of dinner parties and the new "trend" is to have everything made from scratch...imagine that !!! : ) My son was brought up in a home where virtually everything was made from scratch but this is like a whole new world to a lot of these young adults. Even though the food was loaded with calories and fat, I really think the movie "Julie & Julia" has inspired a lot of this with the Gen-Xers. However, I do see a huge difference here in this area with our younger set...they are truly interested in a healthier version of many of those classic dishes. My darling daughter-in-law nearly passed out when she saw some of the original recipes calling them " a heart attack waiting to happen" nad then proceeded to see what could be reduced or found for a more healthy/responsible ingredient(s) without sacrificing taste.
My 30-something niece and her husband have actually begun having regular weekly meals with their friends centering around a TV show...no kidding !!! The only rule is that everything has to be fresh and made from scratch. They did a whole Italian thing for several months while watching The Sopranos !!! ( Maybe not my idea of group TV viewing, but at least it got them all cooking. ) Since then these gals have really committed to scratch-cooking for their families...and most of them work outside the home as well. In turn this has equally inspired the afore mentioned daughter-in-law & other assorted nieces ( alll in their 20's) as they watch Chef 30-Something niece cooking up a storm ! It has even gotten to the point that when she hosts a home party for candles,cookwear,etc. everyone gets excited if it is at her home because they know what great refreshments she will serve. How encouraging,ladies, so take heart...Jamie has lit a fire. Even though it may take awhile to be fanned into flame, at least the match has been struck and it is spreading from coast to coast.

Rochelle

"Nothing is too small to make a difference. " - Wanda Urbanska
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  10:34:04 AM  Show Profile
That is incredible Rochelle - I love it!! I love that folks are meeting at their homes instead of a resturant and the theme idea is a great way to get the ball rolling - heck, whatever it takes. Great Job and I thank you so much for sharing that with us. I guess we just need to hear more of those types of sucess stories to keep us going on.

Many thanks - I must admit I have never seen the Sapranos but I did purchase the DVD of Julie and Julia because she was my role model growing up and I still watch her on PBS. I loved the way she taught us - a great inspiration.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution--anyone watching? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page