Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution--anyone watching?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution--anyone watching? Next Topic
Page: of 6

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  7:18:12 PM  Show Profile
oppps!!! well I will finish. I was in the hospital in May for 3 weeks. And my salary is what we depend on. Well my husband went and we got food stamps for 6 months. I was out of work for 3 months. When my husband would go to the grocery he got mostly fresh veggies and fruits. And the food stamps lasted the whole month. We didnt get that much but it was better than nothing. When I started feeling like cooking I made things from scratch. like I do now. I dont understand why people think that quicker is better. It is not. And I know that what I am about to say might make some people mad....But it is just lazy to fix prepared foods instead of from scratch.
deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  7:36:10 PM  Show Profile
I agree, Deborah. Especially when there are so many handy dandy appliances to help you cook even when you are not at home. I really hope Jamie teaches people how to cook meals while they are at work or out doing errands or even volunteering. You just cannot beat a home cooked meal. And good for your hubby for getting fruits and veggies. Most guys would not do that. He's needs a great big ole pat on the back!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  08:11:50 AM  Show Profile
Edit: Oops, noticed that the petition info has already been discussed. I did just email my school district though to get facts on where our school lunches come from (my son brown bags, but I still want to know.)

I noticed on Jamie Oliver's website that there is a petition for folks to sign that he hopes to present to President Obama. I am no reality show fan (I think they have been the downfall of television actually) but this is one show that I really am connecting with and I will watch. I almost cried when the little kids didn't know what a tomato was and all the kids that just tossed away those apples into the garbage.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/

Edited by - CherryPie on Apr 06 2010 08:28:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  4:29:17 PM  Show Profile
I agree about reality tv. Hubby & I detest it. But this show we like. I think because it hits home and is about something we care about.

The waste of food just kills me!

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  07:32:12 AM  Show Profile
well better late than never., what a great topic. i have been on the chemical food additives wagon for years like grace. since i am missing dna in my liver i am like the canary in the mine. if i go out to eat i must be ever so careful. even the freshener that produce...lettuce salad is soaked in makes me sick.i remember the smell of fresh baking bread in our school cafeteria. the wonderful smells that would fill the halls with the aroma of lunch. co.s are now cooking the food in the can. so how can that be good.? what is in the can? all box store milk is predried and reconstituted. money and greed. what a fine thread. i am with you girls all the way sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  07:44:38 AM  Show Profile
My doctor tells me: "If it comes in a box, don't eat it." I agree with him.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  07:56:51 AM  Show Profile
This all sounds so familiar....this is what the Heirloom Maven's Henhouse is all about. I sat thru last weeks episode and cried and cried. This is why I raise heirloom foods. There has GOT to be a connection between all the disease and depression and GMO's. I go into the grocery store now and my stomach turns. Just yesterday I went into Walmart (its the ONLY store we have in town to get a bra...) and there were 2 people, very over weight, waiting for those little motorized cruisers. And one of the people I saw operating a cruiser was so overweight that she was spilling over the sides. Her grandson was riding with her. Here's the sad part. He was sitting on her excess fat and his poor little legs were stretched so wide and he was complaining about how it 'hurt' him. REALLY? Make the kid WALK. To top it off, her cart was filled with junk.
I know there are special reasons to need those cruisers, but I just gotta say it. Maybe if you walk to do your grocery shopping that'd help? A little? I was so torn between anger at letting the grandson ride and sorrow for her lack of common sense.
A lot of the problem (I think) is the majority doesn't care. Everyone is depending on someone else to fix 'their problems'. So what if I'm grossly obese? I'll just rely on the next generation to pay my diabetes meds.
I tried sending Jamie this link on Twitter. I dont know if he actually got it. But I will try again.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
www.onefunkyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
~If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!~
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  10:07:57 AM  Show Profile
I know. It's like there's a pill for that, just take it and stay the way you are. Isn't it amazing that just a little change in the way we think is so good. And then a little change over there. And then maybe do without this or that. And pretty soon we are all doing so much better and feeling better. Just a little common sense is all it takes. Gee, I wonder if it's all the crap we eat that's making us sick? Huh. Ya think? It's taken me awhile to get to where I am. It's going to take awhile to get some weight off. My motabolism has slowed down a bit the older I get. I know that's an excuse but really, it has.

I do hope he gets the link, Dawn. Thanks for doing that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  11:03:46 AM  Show Profile
Dawn I am with you on this... My question is did we lose the ability to say NO to ourselves and our children. My rule was if I did not bring it into the house we did not have to worry about what we ate. I know it requires a bit of will power but you can just not go down the isle with the pop, potatoe chips, frozen pizza's, and such. Shop on the outside, teach your kids how wonderful a orange tastes or why a acorn squash with fresh baked apples and cinnamon inside it such a treat to the taste buds. That steele cut oat meal with all your favorite tops can be just the thing to get out of bed for in the morning. This is not rocket science - you just have to believe you are worth more then feeling horrible all the time and giving you money over to big business and drug companies.

I purchased Jamies latest cookbook to see if there was something to add to my recipe box - a few things but I know the perfect person to gift it to as a gift, my youngest son is a great cook but his girlfriend cannot make anything so I think it will be her gift that way maybe my son will not have to do all the cooking. Her family only eats out and something that you reheat - such a shame... But, we start one person at a time.. Happy cooking ladies. Tonight I am making me 10 herb roasted organic chicken thighs, sweet potatoe with maple butter, peas and pearl onions and for the ending a skillet carmel pear with a home made ginger snap cookie. Yummy...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  11:17:01 AM  Show Profile
Sounds wonderful, Grace. I'll be over!

I'm making my grocery list for this week and because I have so many great ideas (a couple of Jamie's recipes made the cut this week) I'm having such a difficult time pairing down my menu. I'm back to my pre-baby size of a 6, but I decided to eat well last week (no frozen Lean Cuisines, REAL food, made by me) and I feel fabulous. More energy, more appetite, more interest.

My concern is how "disinterested" we've actually become in what we consume. Would I rather sit down to homemade lasagna (done with a little planning for a Sunday meal) or a Stouffers's frozen lasagna? It's a no brainer to me. I really believe we are so tuned in with convenience that we forget what real food tastes like.

My goal this week? Don't laugh, please...it's to buy a whole roasting chicken and to NOT let the bones intimidate me. I was a vegetarian for 8 years and I've always been a little creeped out by the bones...but, I'm bound and determined to eat our food the way nature intended. I can roast a chicken for a wonderful, healthy meal, use the carcass to make my own stock and make sure I actually KNOW what I'm eating.

I feel like if we challenge ourselves (and others) a little bit at a time, we can effect change---it doesn't have to be so consuming or overwhelming.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  09:01:40 AM  Show Profile
I read there are only three episodes left, which is a bummer because I hoped it would run for awhile. I totally agree with the idea that the battle is won or lost at the grocery store - if you don't bring it home, it isn't here to eat. We had family bring over easter treats and I have realized how easily I am swayed by chocolate eggs. The rest of it is going into the trash so I don't eat anymore.

Since cutting out the processed food, I can say that I feel so much better. I haven't noticed weight loss yet (I use my clothes as the judge on that) but my energy is much better. When I eat sugar (like the easter candy), I immediately crash and just want to sleep. My biggest challenge right now is getting my hubby on board - he has the worst eating habits in the world.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  1:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by CherryPie

My biggest challenge right now is getting my hubby on board - he has the worst eating habits in the world.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225

Mine isn't horrible but, this morning, I was making homemade Almond-Poppyseed Muffins while DH was getting ready to run to town to get some cash so he could pay the farrier. He asks "Whatcha makin'?" When I tell him, he says "Oh GOOD!" Then, he says on his way out the door, "I'm going to buy me a treat when I am in town." "Like what?" I ask. He says he is going to buy an apple fritter or a donut or something. After he leaves, I get to thinking about it, I'm making HOMEMADE muffins and he wants to buy some cr@# from the store!! Some days I wonder why I even try!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  2:38:44 PM  Show Profile
I was not aware there was only three left - that makes me sad especially when it seems like the horrible shows drag on and on.. Well, let's make the most of them!

Jonni how did the chicken go??? My oldest son is a great cook but he hates to knaw on a bone of any kind - so he is with you on that one.
Just know that if you are in my neck of the woods you are more then welcome for a meal..

Spouse's eating habits are a problem but if you are the one shopping and cooking then you have the control. Maybe if you explain that you wish to have him around for a very long time that might get him to change but remember he came to you eating whatever his mother and family did so it is a matter of retraining those habits and tastebuds.

Tonight's dinner is Organic Grass Fed Corned Beef and Organic Cabbage, Carrots and Potatoes. What is great about that meal is that I then can turn it into all kinds of other meals. So while this meal took a bit of work the four or five meals I can make out of this will be quick as a flash. I think that is what folks have not been taught.

So tonight I will be in front of the TV, spinning away and trying not to yell at the lunch lady.. I think I will make some bread tonight while I am watching the show, that way for my Sunday breakfast I can make Stuffed French Toast with my home made Dandelion Syrup from last spring.. Yummy and all are invited but then it is barn cleaning.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  7:20:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, that was the coolest thing I have ever seen! I hope everyone got to watch tonight. It was so good. The mob thing was fantastic! I wish they would do a whole video just on that one scene. Way too cool. And to FINALLY get Rod on his side was amazing. But the way he had to do it made me cry. So sad. And those kids. Wow. What htey have all gone through. And to have someone like Jamie Oliver come to their town out of the blu and turn it around has to give them all hope for their future. I know he has changed the way I think.

This afternoon I had all 3 grands. I had to stop at the grocery store for a few things. Chloe wanted a peach. A PEACH! Where are they growing peaches right now? Chili. I said no. We will wait a few months and get Ga. peaches. Then she wanted blueberries. From Chili too. NO. Then the kiwi. From Italy. No. My goodness. It's just amazing where all our food comes from. Then they see boxes of Twinkies. No more anything that comes in a box. They were all very good about it too. And I only left the store with what I came in to get! Yay, me!

I hope everyone watched tonight. Like Rod said, it's not about Jamie anymore. It's about turning the town around and making a change. Good for him!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  9:09:32 PM  Show Profile
Ya to you Kris - I am so proud of you sticking to your guns. I know those peaches can be tempting but come summer when you are eating a peach it will mean that much more to you...

I agree I LOVE the flash mob - heck this gal wanted to do the dance too!! See we can make cooking fun - way too cool

I still want to shove the lunch lady in the freezer but I am proud of Rod for opening his eyes and really seeing what is going on - it is not easy to change your mind, body and years of programing.. Way to go Rod!!! I too just break down in tears when I hear the story of the girl who has been given only 5 to 7 years but this did not happen over night and her health will not correct itself overnight but you have to start somewhere.

Good night ladies and keep those positive forward movements going - farmgirls can change the world

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  10:36:54 AM  Show Profile
I saw the two episodes last night (one was a rerun). My heart just broke for that girl who's dr. said if she keeps on the path she is she only has 5-7 years left because of liver damage, that's to age 24 when your life is just starting!

I'm still flabergasted that the school system considers a french fry a veggie (well I guess at one time it was a veggie) and that they didn't count all the veggies that went into the pasta dish. I'm also disappointed in some of those lunch ladies who are fighting change, yeah it will take more planning to make things from scratch but there are many bulk type meals you can make, chilis, stews, soups, etc....

I'm also glad that Rod realized that this wasn't about "making" people eat salad, it was to save lives. There's something wrong when funeral homes have to carry double wide caskets.

I'm also glad that he showed a stirfry, those are very economical meals, they're healthy and you can be very creative. There's the myth out there that healthy eating is expensive, it's not. You can get far more veggies for the same $40.00 you spend on processed foods, same goes for stirfry meats . I think many just are at a loss when it comes to meal planning and food choices. For those families where time is an issue there's the old crockpot solution, put it on and come home your meal is made.

But ultimately it is us as parents who will have to pressure our schools for change and if they say they don't have enough help, maybe take that excuse away, set up volunteer rosters for those who have the time to help out with meal prep.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  2:57:04 PM  Show Profile
You know I think it is ultimatly up to the parents to make sure that they eat well at home, not just in school. That truthfully is what worries me. Even if the schools can and will jump on the bandwagon, if they don't eat well the other 90% of the time what will it accomplish? I guess they would at least get one decent meal. Maybe it is different othe places, but I just see cart after cart in the market filled with junk. Not just a few snacks, I mean just most all the "food" is useless calories. I have friends that are like this. If you try and say something or suggest in the nicest of ways they try something different, look out! Or even if they pretend to agree, they don't change their ways. I know I sound discouraged, but, nothing seems to change these peoples outlook even a tiny bit. I just finally gave up (after years of trying)and decided it isn't any of my business anyway. So why keep knocking my head against the wall. The Social Services were called by the school, they came did visits,sent the parents and kids to a nutrionist, monitored. No change. Is anyone else feeling discouraged about this or am I just over reacting?

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  1:20:04 PM  Show Profile
MJ it can be overwhelming to see what goes on around us but when I get that feeling I remember "I can only place my feet on the path I wish to travel and if someone joins me that is great but if not I know that at least I am following my path". After the last show it is a ray of hope that people can open up themselves to change. Now I get it that alot of the folks just came to be on TV but no matter what reason they started with - who knows they might just stick around.

Be the best you can be and that in time can change more folks then any lecture, TV show or cookbooks...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  1:33:45 PM  Show Profile
Well, you can't save someone who doesn't want to save themselves and that's a lot of Americans food-wise these days. What I find amusing in a sad way is the more we talk about weight, the fatter this nation gets. My kids used to complain about snapping beans to can every summer saying why don't you just buy them? Then one spring I ran short and did have to buy them and the kids all asked "what's wrong with these beans they taste funny!" I just held up the empty can and grinned. They never complained about snapping beans again.

I was glad to see so many come even if it was just to be on TV. If you want to make an impression on the majority of folks you have to make it fashionable - like if you don't do it, then you are not "with it" or some such. By doing what WE do we keep it in the paradigm - we keep the knowledge of how to do it alive. Teach by being a living example...

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  5:20:34 PM  Show Profile
You are so right Sheri

I am with your kids - canned veggie from the store are horrible!! No wonder folks do not eat veggie's.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  06:24:41 AM  Show Profile
What a show, what a weekend of good food the Lynch family had! After Friday's show, I was even more determined! Saturday morning, Violet and I got up early and hit a little church rummage sale up the street, and then decided to go to Tewes' poultry farm, a long-time local farm that produces hormone and antibiotic free fresh chickens and turkeys. We got a dozen brown eggs, 4 lbs. ground (white meat) turkey (we planned on grilling turkey burgers on Sunday with friends) and 6 bone in breasts, all for $20.00. It was such a nice experience~Mrs. Tewes wanted to hold Violet (and of course she let her do so :)) and Violet chased the ducks and played with the 4 rag-tag farm dogs. Violet enjoyed our outing so much that when it was time to go, she started to cry and reached out for Mrs. Tewes!!!

Grace, Saturday was roast chicken night (after the grocery shopping) and it was incredible. I really did well with the whole skin/bone thing and I absolutely, positively can't imagine doing a chicken another way. I used Jamie's roast chicken recipe from his website and it was divine. Such simply preparation and such amazing flavor.

Last night, we had friends over for Turkey burgers, grilled asparagus and twice baked potatoes. To make the turkey burgers a little more flavorful, and to sneak some vitamins in for Violet, I added chopped granny smith apples and green onions and parsley from our garden. They were a hit! The weirdest part of the night for me was watching Violet eat the fresh salsa on chips....

You know, my mom worked full time when I was small and I spent a lot of time as a latch key kid. When we sat down to dinner, it was always something easy, from a box or from the freezer or from a can. When I moved out on my own and became a vegetarian, I had to learn how to cook, pronto, and there was no such thing as a Whole Foods Market or a Trader Joe's. I guess my point is, and what we all know is, convenience foods are our downfall.

Has anyone seen the new commercial for Hamburger Helper? It shows a mother and son in a "generic" burger fast food lane, and then this plate of hamburger helper is shoved right under the woman's nose and she decides to "fore go" the fast food for a "home cooked meal". It's sad that marketers sell us a pack of dried cheese product and some preservatives and wrap it up all fancy as a "home cooked meal"!!!

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Apr 12 2010 06:25:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  06:35:50 AM  Show Profile
The bright spot in all of this is that there is a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, now. It makes it easier for one to eat healthy. You're right, Jonni, a few years ago one had to join a food coop in order to eat good food.
And, both take EBT cards and food stamps so it is a matter of retraining people's brains. TV commercials are the worst but they do exactly what the marketers set out to do. Convince the American public to buy a bunch of junk we really don't need.
The more we keep plugging away at educating others and supporting programs like Jamie's, the more people will come on board.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  06:30:29 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I just read through all of the posts and I have to jump into this discussion. We missed last week so hubby & I will get caught up with tonights episode. If I would have thought for 1/2 a second that watching a British Chef other than Gordon Ramsey would get my sweetheart to really think about what he eats I would have bought The Naked Chef a couple of years back.
My biggest hope is that all of this primetime media coverage will really get people excited. I wish Jamie would come to my town.
Jonni & Michele, I belonged to a food coop at one time,too. We now have a growing Farmers Market community in this area for which I am very grateful. They used to set up just Sat. AM but now have expanded out to Tuesday afternoons as well since there is a huge interest in buying fresh stuff direct.
You are right, Michele, this is all of us working together and supporting what we have in our own backyards to help Jamie push this life-saving message ahead.
One of my favorite shows on PBS has been Simple Living with Wanda Urbanska. I am adopting her most-used by-line from that show as my new mantra in regards to all of this: " Nothing is too small to make a difference." I believe that is how we will collectivley change the way we eat in our country...one community,one household, one grocery bag,one plate at a time .

Rochelle
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  06:58:22 AM  Show Profile
Happy to have you join in, Rochelle...and I love Simple Living and Wanda Urbanska, too! She's exactly right...nothing IS too small to make a difference--in every way we live. Can't wait for tonight's show. I am planning to can dandelion jelly when I get home from work, and make something easy but wonderful for supper to sit down and watch the show---probably use up the remainder of the fresh ground turkey and make mini meatloaves or something...Now there is something for me to actually look forward to on Friday night tv!!

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  10:06:03 AM  Show Profile
I am so excited for Friday night now - going to have my seat warmed and ready. Tonight I am serving organic smoked turkey thigh with sour dough and cranberry stuffing, side dish will be fresh spinach with pinon quick stired with olive oil and nutmeg, and the goodie to watch with the show is fresh berries and a couple of home made pizzella cookies... Again, this meal will make several others - a turkey salad and also some meat for the Sunday soup. The stuffing I add a couple of fresh eggs, some minced green onions and a handful of baby white corn to the left over and with a small icecream scoop I make nice small balls and put them into the soup to boil and I have great tasty dumpling. Firday is also juicing day. I peel all the citrus and wash all the fruits and veggies to then put thru my wonderful juicer - then I have juice for the week. All of these take very little time and are so worth it.

I still do hope they throw Alice in the freezer - I know she will turn around and shows have to have a grumpy person but she really does grate on my nerves. Rochelle I have never heard of that show - I will have to check my local listings to see if it aires here. I do not do cable or such so I just get the regular stations. Sounds very interesting and I thank you for sharing it with us.

I hope everyone has a tasty, healthy Friday and see you all by the TV tonight - that is after all our farm chores and such. Happy Watching

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution--anyone watching? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page