Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution--anyone watching?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution--anyone watching? Next Topic
Page: of 6

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  09:16:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by jclambert

Boy, does this hit home with me. Not to offend anyone, but I get so mad when I'm buying groceries and see people with their carts full of frozen pizza, FROZEN PANCAKES! (that one really amazed me), and all that other garbage. Then they pay with food stamps. I really think if someone gets food stamps they should be required to take a nutrition and cooking class. Most of these young people don't know how to prepare a real meal and their money would go so much further with fresh ingredients, not to mention being healthy. What channel is Jamie Oliver's show on? I would love to see it.

Judy

*Love one another*

I'm right there with 'ya Judy!! I always feel I should take them aside and talk to them!! I would probably get arrested though!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  09:16:20 AM  Show Profile
The show is amazing. My daughter is the head 'lunch lady' at her kids school and she would love a change to healthier, fresher foods. A lot of beaurocrasy tho!! Sorry, think I spelled that wrong, Lol!! She loves the show too. Maybe if we all make changes, it will get better. Not sure how things got sooo bad either. And I am guilty too, of taking the easier route. Trying to do healthier as well. Have a good day, ladies!!

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  09:17:34 AM  Show Profile
This show has me thinking (and thinking) and all my co-workers talking (and talking :)) and I think it's wonderful!! Like I said, I've always followed Jamie Oliver and I love his approach to cooking...being easy on the eyes doesn't hurt, either, but I searched back in my store of memories and I remember that I took my lunch most of the time....mom said that the only day I "bought" school lunch was Friday, which was homemade pizza day. We had an Asian lunch lady, Sumi, who made the best pizza on the planet. So Friday it was. The other days, I took my really cool Tupperware lunchbox with a variety of little containers full of fruits, veggies and dip and always a sammich. Mom also said that I went through a phase where the only sandwich I would eat was fried balogna (burnt on the edges) with white bread and yellow mustard. She said that lasted about 3 months and "boy was I ever glad to see that phase go!"

And then, I remember not eating lunch at all. By the time I got to middle school, I was so self conscious and awkward that I would get so nervous that I couldn't possibly bring myself to get up in front of the "whole" school to get in line in the cafeteria.

My mom's other argument with school lunches? Too fast. And it carried over into my homelife. We would sit down to dinner and it was like a race for me to be done. At times, when I'm busy at work, I still eat WAY too fast and wolf down my food like a feral cat. When she catches me, she still blames A.M Yealey (my elementary school).

I feel like the majority of the problem with what Jamie Oliver is confronting is just ignorance--and I don't mean that these people are stupid, it's simply that this is the only way they've known and their parents before them. Now, I'm not saying that my Grandmother had convenience pre-fab foods, but she did use fatback in her beans. So, it's learned behaviors, just like almost everything else.

So, how do you break the chain? I think what Jamie is doing is a great start. Just like the Humane Education programs we did at schools with the shelter where I worked....get to them while they're young and you can change the way of thinking--about themselves and about others.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  7:57:53 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I think by doing what we are doing - talking about it. I can only speak for myself but whenever I have a customer ask me about why I am an organic fiber producer it is my way to educate them as to the benefits to the animals, ourselves and our plant. I also offer printed information if they wish and also when I do shows and such I have printed information that they can take away with them and share with others. Too often we think that everyone knows this stuff and just does not care but I have found that very few know this stuff and if we take the time to show a better way then we can really make a change. When I start my farm 14 years ago I was the strange lady with the Funny animals who does not do things they way everyone else does - now I am not the lone voice and I have been able to change many folks to a different way. I know sometimes it is easier to throw our hands up in the air and just say every man for themselves but every man does effect our life too.

I love that we are talking and we just need to keep that going. Love hearing from such wonderful, caring folks - this thread has given my strength to keep teaching.. Thanks for doing that ladies.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  04:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Love it, I'm hooked!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com

My Etsy store:
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  09:14:44 AM  Show Profile
I started making my little granddaughters lunch this week. I know I should have been all along. But her mother... So the day before last my Dd came to get kansas and I said I need to make her lunch, she said she eats free lunch at school. Why should we spend money on lunches? Oh my goodness, I just about lost it. But I didn't. I told her that I would buy things for her lunch, I don't mind at all. And Kansas said she wants to take her lunch. She gets to go right in and sit down and start eating. She won't have to wait so long in line and then not have time to eat. This way she goes right in and gets to eat everything. So last night I made her lunch and put it on her car. Kansas did say she can't have any peanut butter because there's one kid in the school who is allergic to peanuts. That's strange. Anyway, my DD said she was telling the people she works with about this and the school lunches and they all said I was crazy, there's nothing wrong with school food. All their kids eat it. So look what I am up against. I think family can be the worst to turn around. I am still going to fix Kansas' lunch.

And my DD gets food stamps. So she can afford to buy good food. She just won't do it. I try. I tell her she can use whatever is in my freezers. But she'd have to COOK it. Oh my. And who has time to actually COOK food. I guess the best way for her is just to show her. Not tell her. Sometimes the best way to preach is by not preaching at all. Just do it yourself and maybe they will see it's not so hard to do.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  09:23:18 AM  Show Profile
That's right, Kris...Grace has a very good point--the way we can keep the momentum going is by talking about it, and living by example. I realize that it's hard, working and cooking, and making ends meet and trying to find the time and energy to do it all. I know. I really do know...but I look at cooking, and planning meals as an investment in our future--energy, health, and, hopefully, if I do it right, it's an investment in our planet, too.

I commend you for making Kansas' lunch. You're right--you don't have to. You want to. And I think it's so important that she actually has the time to sit down and eat her meal instead of going through the line. Don't forget to put a note in her lunch :) Mom always did that for me...what lunch lady gives you a happy note, I ask you?

I love to cook, and I love to see Jus's face light up when something is good...it makes me want to do it again tomorrow night and the next and the next. That's been going on for 10 years, so it isn't likely to stop.

Now...how to tell the people that you love who care for your children, "please don't give her chocolate and sweets all day because she throws up on me after spending the day at your house..."

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  2:33:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kris I am so sorrry to hear that your attempts to assist your family is not going so well. Your heart is in the right place so keep it up. I know that living by example will be more effective then words. When I worked outside the home and had small children the crock pot was my best friend, weekend prep day also was a must, and lastly my kids even when they where in preschool assisted in making the meals. My mom tells the story of giving me a bowl and some wet lettuce while I sat in the high chair - my job was to tear the lettuce for the evening salad - I did the same with my boys and now even with their busy lives they prepare 90% of their own meals from scratch.

The thing with the peanut butter is Nuts - at what point are we going overboard and not making folks response for themselves. They had a table at the large schools where those with allergies ate and usually a parent volunteer kept watch. If a parent is really concerned then why are they not also teaching their children to not except food from others.

As for people feeding chocolates well I have been trying to get my Mother to stop doing that too - I am going to be 51 and she still thinks I will eat chocolate like she does - no matter what I say, no matter how many shows, studies, talks we have - still her idea of showing love is giving me another box of chocolate. Well, I keep trying and when she is not looking the box finds itself in the black whole of the universe.

It is like Easter - it now revolves around candy and chocolate bunnies and the oh so pointless pepps...

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  06:06:01 AM  Show Profile
I want to make an apology here. I know there are people who get food stamps that really need them and use them wisely. I just get so angry with some people (my niece mainly) who should be working but doesn't and gets them and blows the money on stuff like crab legs and other expensive items. She then lives off her dad the rest of the time. Oh well, my venting is over now.

Judy

*Love one another*
Go to Top of Page

roseella
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

32 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  12:21:56 PM  Show Profile
I have been watching Jamie Oliver and think it is very timely. We have grown children now but we tried to watch out for any junk food and not have it as part of our eating habits.

Peggy

http://myviewpaintingstoo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  12:44:15 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I hope I didn't make you feel like you had to apologize. My DD blows hers too. It really does help her out alot because she's doing this on her own with 1 daughter and paying child support for her 2 oldest. So I am glad she gets a little help with the food. I just wish she would think more about what she buys. She just doesn't get it.

Grace, I am not sure I understand why the whole school can't have peanut butter or nuts. There are signs on all the entrances saying they are a nut free school

Welcome Roseella! Glad you joined us here. I agree with this being timely. Lots of people starting to realize the way they eat is not right and they should change.

I have not eaten out for a whole week!! I've been broke, too. But I will not eat anything I don't make myself anymore. I have made that pledge to myself.

I am so excited to see tonights show.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  12:54:11 PM  Show Profile
Kris I am with you - I have not been excited to see a reality show ever but I am getting my seat ready for tonight.

I have not eaten out for almost 9 months and then it was only because my son wanted to take me to dinner before he got married - kind of a last time as just him and me... Even then it was at a resturant that only is local and organic.. I have not eaten in a fast food or chain resturant for almost two years now. I know for some that really makes me strange. Nor have I had soda pop for over two years.. Another thing is if I read corn syrup in any of the list of ingred's well it will not be going home with me. It may sound hard at first but like anything if it is worth it you adapt. I live by the saying "Out of sight, out of mind" If we did not watch all the ads, see all the neon signs we would have it loss it's grip on our minds.

Can't wait for tonight and then to read what you all thought.. A treat of Organic White Popcorn with Organic local butter - see we can treat ourselves.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  1:17:22 PM  Show Profile
im glad i saw this on here. ive looking forward to the show tonight all week and totally forgot it was coming on.

Karen ^_^

www.miss2missus.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  8:33:13 PM  Show Profile
O.K. I am ready to push that one lunch lady (Alice) in the frezzer and shut the door. I think she has eaten one too many frozen chicken nuggets - maybe she had mad cow - or at least that is the way she is acting - one mad cow... Sorry, a cow is sweet and has a purpose..

I was so proud of the teenagers cooking - My Goodness, I would be worried to pull that dinner off with experienced cooks but way to go kids... See if we expect more from folks they will rise to the challenge. However, Alice and that radio guy must be locked up and in the freezer with their beloved chicken nuggets.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  9:17:54 PM  Show Profile
Yep, I agree, Grace. What a stubborn lady she is. I loved that he went into that high school and found those great kids and did what they did. Good for them! I hope he got the funding he needed. I'm sure he will eventually. Guys like him don't give up orback down. They keep plowin' through. He'll get to Alice too. And the radio guy. They'll be on his side.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

podsandpetals
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Cindy
Genoa NY
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  2:03:05 PM  Show Profile
A little story about chicken nuggets- My daughter and son had them one night when we ate out at a resaurant. 2 hours later my daughter broke out in a terrible case of hives all over her body. When I took her to the Dr. the next morning they suggested going to an allergist suspecting a food allergy. The allergist needed an ingeriedient list from all that she ate that night. The resaurant was great and gave me what they could but didn't have the info on the chicken nuggets. Back at the allergist he tells me that he really can't test for any ingeridients in the nuggets because there is so much crap in them it would be like shooting at a dart board in the dark. (Everything else she ate that night tested negative.) It had to be some food addative in the nuggets. I make boneless fried chicken at home- Chicken, whole wheat flour, salt, pepper, garlic and poultry seasoning.-6 ingredients and nothing to fear! (Sorry about the typos and spelling I'm rushing) -And school luches- oh gosh I could rant for ever- My kids don't eat them. My sister has breast cancer at the ripe old age of 39- a neighbor whos 42 also does! Hello- maybe there is something in our food?????? Or goverment only listens to big business who is only interested in it's bottom line! There is no one out there protecting children - we must do it! -Cindy

Check out "Support a farm girl night" http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38448

www.podsandpetals.etsy.com
ebay seller podsandpetals
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  03:07:37 AM  Show Profile
I missed it the other night's show, hope that it will be on again. It's really opening our eyes about these important things. I never realized what all is in the foods that I eat. Makes me want to research and think about everything my family eats.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  04:36:02 AM  Show Profile
I'm late to the conversation here..... we've been recording the shows. Now watching it as a family, even my hubby. Which is HUGE for us. He's usually the one who's hard to persuade when it comes to changes. He's actually asked me now to start packing him a salad for lunch at LEAST 2 times a week! Talk about a revolution!

The show has been the topic in our house for days now. Especially yesterday at Easter dinner. Sad when children do not know what a tomato is.

I've been changing our "diet" to a more natural, clean way of eating. Weeding out the processed foods. We're almost there. Glad to say that by watching this my hubby is more on board now! Even my kids. They're hearing it from someone else that the junk is not good for them.

quote:
O.K. I am ready to push that one lunch lady (Alice) in the frezzer and shut the door. I think she has eaten one too many frozen chicken nuggets - maybe she had mad cow - or at least that is the way she is acting - one mad cow... Sorry, a cow is sweet and has a purpose..

I was so proud of the teenagers cooking - My Goodness, I would be worried to pull that dinner off with experienced cooks but way to go kids... See if we expect more from folks they will rise to the challenge. However, Alice and that radio guy must be locked up and in the freezer with their beloved chicken nuggets.

We couldn't agree more!!! The radio guy & Alice make us soooo angry! People are afraid of change. I think the radio guy might be a tad bit embarrassed of his town? I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  05:54:37 AM  Show Profile
Wasn't that a good episode???

I rushed home from running around doing errands for Easter to sit down with Jus and little Violet to watch it. I TOO wanted to hang that lunch lady, Alice...seems like she'd shoot down just about anything that wasn't in her control or her idea. The Food Service Director is rather ridiculous, too...I know she has guidelines and "checklists" but that the government classifies a frozen, crinkle cut french fry as a "suitable vegetable offering" is just idiocy! I love how, after their exchange about the veggies, Jamie said, "Right, I'm off now to go wreak havoc over here, then!" and off he went!!

On Saturday, Violet and I planted our onions, peas, mescalun salad greens and leaf spinach, and picked our violets for Violet jelly. And now, I'm headed over to Jamie's website for some recipes because it's grocery week ;)

Go to Top of Page

RochelleS
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Rochelle
Muscatine Iowa
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  06:25:46 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I am so happy to hear about others watching Chef Jamie..isn't he amazing ? Living in Iowa, my husband and I stared in utter disbelief that 6 year olds couldn't recognize a tomato,too! Yes,Alice & Radio guy irritate the pants off of us,but hats off to that sweet elementary teacher who took things into her hands,embracing the opportunity for a "teachable "moment. Didn't you just love it when the kiddos got to show off their newly acquired knowledge for Jamie? I'm sure there were plenty of educators across America giving a collective " whoo-hop" on that one !
(And,yes, I will never look at chicken nuggets the same way again...)
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  09:15:41 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful to read your thoughts and how this program is changing your way of eating and consuming. I have a question for someone out there - do you know where I might find a list of the countries that do not allow GMO's ? I had in one of my monthly mag's I think it was "Yes" that listed them. I think that was the issue I lent to someone which has not made it's way back here. I have been reading thru tons of goggle listing but I am not finding what I was looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  2:39:41 PM  Show Profile
Perhaps this link will provide the info you seek, Grace. http://www.psrast.org/gefree.htm and a second one is http://www.twnside.org.sg/title/service21.htm both of these lists provide info also on various laws passed in some countries.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  2:53:50 PM  Show Profile
I think the radio guy is secretly on Jamie's side and is taking the opposing viewpoint to get people in the town talking and thinking. At least, I'm hopeful
This show is just the best. Those teens were amazing and the interesting thing is that they would probably not be friends if they hadn't been put together by Jamie and now they all seem so supportive of each otehr. It made my heart happy to see that.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  6:25:10 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Sheri - that was just the thing - I sometimes have the worst look finding things on the net and then other times it is spot on but THANKS!!!

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  7:12:24 PM  Show Profile
Candy and Judy....DITTO!!!!! Last yr in May I was in

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution--anyone watching? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page