Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution--anyone watching?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution--anyone watching? Next Topic
Page: of 6

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  12:29:04 PM  Show Profile
It is a great show. But until we can rid our country of GMO's we are not going to help ourselves. Europe and Great Britian do not allow GMO's
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  1:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
As horrified as I was about what they eat, I got teary eyed when I realized they don't even know what a knife is. They eat with their fingers and never need a fork or knife! And when the adults in charge took time and initiative to interact with the children and encourage them to try new foods and showed them how to use a knife, they had almost immediate success. How sad that no one thought of that before, and that it just doesn't happen at home. When did that break down? My poor dh nearly had a stroke at the sight of all those untouched apples just rolling off trays into the garbage.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  1:41:31 PM  Show Profile
I know Janice!!! That was the worst for me, was the apples!(& the ugly salmon colored chicken goo,blech) I was thinking of all the yummy applesauce I could make..or pies, or even feed my goats & chickens the leftovers.
Yikes.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  1:50:43 PM  Show Profile
I with your DH, I was screaming at the waste. When the boys and I moved out here into this little country school I immediatly joined the PTO - I was to PTO President in our last school. Well, we started a program of separating the trash and the usable food was taken away by a pig farmer, the breads and some fruits where taken by those of us who had chickens and then there was just the paper items which was sent to a recycling place. But the School Board in their great wisdom came and shut down that practice. Then when we tried to have more local foods the School Board brought in Taco Bell and such predone food in the name of fiscal cutbacks. Now my sons always brought their own lunchs but I tried for years to get the School Board to listen to reason - heck, reason was not their motives, rather what they got paid by companies to have their products in the schools was their motives. Please, those of you with kids still in school - FIGHT this!

I also agree a million percent with Deborah - if folks do not stand up against GMO's we are sunk - for years I have been telling everyone I come in contact with about this - I know I sound like a nutter to them but I keep trying. I have folks watch the Food Inc and other DVD's I have to let them see for themselves. I must admit I have even thought of leaving this country because I want to be able to feel like the food I eat have not been genetically played with under the protection of the USDA and government bedfellows. I do not like being threatened by the USDA to have my farm shut down unless I use their selected products and seeds, or if I do not fill out their survey boxes they have the right to come in and shut me down - where is this the American Way?? If I sound like I am mad as hell and do not want to take it anymore your right. This Colorado Gal is fed up - I am thankfull that at least I know that their is a group of gal's who feel the same way and that I am not a nutter....

Thank you for making me feel like I am not the only gal standing up and saying NO MORE!!!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  2:14:52 PM  Show Profile
That's the most scary part about the school food is the USDA is in charge of it. And a "nutritionist"? I for one do not trust them. I was sick at all the waste, too. BUT no restaraunt, school, fast food place can give away the scraps anymore. If they are caught they can be shut down in a second. I have asked several places if I could come get scraps and they flat out say NO! Now that is a shame. It is all thrown away. Which most of it should be thrown away. But I have gone through food scraps before when I had pigs. This farmgirl is not above digging through food scraps.

Dawn, I wonder if there is some way to let Jamie know we are behind him? I know this was filmed back in the fall and he's off on other things now. But he is taking up a petition to go to the White House. We all need to sign it. That's one way to show support. But how can we let him know personnaly that we are behind him? Any ideas?

My daughter and her boyfriend watched both episodes last night. They are just as amazed at this too. I am so glad it's finally sinking in with them. Now if I can only get my other DD with the 3 kids to see it. They just went out and got pizza after church and I had my grass fed pot roast with carrots and onions, mashed potatoes with real raw milk, homemade coleslaw and pineapple upside down cake made from scratch for dinner. They did eat half the cake. It does take time to cook like this but get those kids in there to help! All 3 grands helped cook breakfast this morning and ate every bite. It does make a difference.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  3:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Thank you so much for posting this topic. I too have been upset with food in the schools for over 25 years. I tried to work with them and got absolutely no where! I totally agree with all of you, and I am so glad to see so much support for this. I too am very angry about the education 'our' children have received via the lunchroom...it is appalling! I have been on what most would call a 'health kick' for almost 35 years. Even my family thinks I am odd. However, what goes around, comes around, this way of eating in the US is slowly killing us. I recently watched Food, Inc. even though I was aware of a lot of this I found it appalling and passed this on to my daughter. I was finally successful in getting her and her husband to watch it. Her husband is a meat and potato kind of guy so he was in the 'need' a bit more. I guess what I am trying to say here is that we need to educate our families as best we can and share what we know about all of this.
Kris, I am heading over to Oprah to sign up to support Jamie. Thanks.

A person will be just about as happy as they make up their mind to be. Abe Lincoln Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  3:58:16 PM  Show Profile
Kris: ha! If only ya'll REALLY knew me. When someone wants something known I am the megaphone. I'll find a way to let Jamie know. I think if a lot of grassroot projects knew about the MaryJane Farmgirls...well, there's a force to be reckoned with for sure!

I signed the petition. I am looking for a link to get Jamie's attention. I have to research a bit but I will post here when I figure out how I want to word this.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
www.onefunkyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
~If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!~
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  5:24:42 PM  Show Profile
Sadly so much of this boils down to cost. & so many meals are subsidized. & even sadder..the G in GMO is government.
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  05:12:36 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I saw this episode this week end. I was very apauled at the cooks at this school, and everyone in the town for that matter. More or less saying, don't help us, just leave us alone. The thing I see about the overall issue, is that, if you eat healthier food, you don't need as MUCH food! The school could possibly come out about even, or at least not much over budget. Those children could be satisfied on a little less. Food that is good for you is much more filling. Some of the portion sizes seemed rather large for such small children. These kids would feel more like paying attention, and have more energy, and stay focused on school work with better food. Everyone and every thing being more productive. "Train a child in the way he should go", and change the entire school or town. In my opinion, children eating nothing but carbs, are going to be cosmotos afterward. I have been there and done that, and for myself, looking back on my own school day's, (ok, way back) I had a very unhealthy diet due to lack of parental participitation in my food. I NEVER stayed focused, and was a very poor student. Eating healthy now proves to me, that children that are fed GOOD food, will be more productive in everything they do. My own children were excellent students and very intelligent, and I made sure they ate proper food. Our society needs to stop being so lazy and settling for what is EASY!!!!
Just my thinking!
Sheri

1 Cor 3:6...God made the seed to grow....

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...

Edited by - Lynner on Mar 29 2010 05:15:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  06:12:35 AM  Show Profile
Well! I really didn't think I would even get a glimmer of interest when I posted this...not because you all aren't sensible gals, but I just figured it might not be your cup of tea. I'm so glad to see that it is!!!

And, not to "un-promote" Oprah, but you can go right to Jamie Oliver's site and sign the petition, get recipes and learn more about Jamie and his movement, here in the US and in Britain, too. Don't think the Brits don't love a bag of crisps!!!

http://www.jamieoliver.com/

We're not online on the weekend, but I am so happy to find this thread still buzzing this morning. I read each post, all the while shaking my head and saying, "yep, yep"...

Janice-poor David! Watching those apples fall into the garbage can...it's incredibly ignorant, and you would think that an adult would say, "what's wrong here?" I even found the superintendents to be a bit "wishy-washy" in regard to sticking to the program. It was as if they were afraid of making better choices for these children...afraid of parents, afraid of....what, really?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  07:55:37 AM  Show Profile
I thank you for posting this and I have taken action - signed the petition, sent it to everyone I knew, posted it on my blog, and even purchased his latest cookbook (his books are never available in the library - been on a waiting list forever). I know that most of us on MaryJane already practice this style of cooking and living but this has shown me again that it is up to us to show the way to those who have not had the chance.

A perfect example was about six years ago at the high school they where doing the hatching egg project - I got a frantic call from my son because the teacher was letting kids take home the chicks and they had no clue. I jumped in the truck, drove like a mad women and got to the school. When I arrived the teacher was passing them out like they where candy. I stopped her and asked did she even get parents permission, did the kids have a way to care for them, she said she had till the end of the day to get rid of them and she really did not care what happened to them - experiment over. One of the girls who was planning to take it home to her mother's apartment asked me "Is this where chicken McNuggets come from". I admit it I went nuts. I grabbed the chick and yelled "Everyone put them down". I had my son run to the principle and I told him that if the chicks did not come home with me I was call the ASAPC and make a big fuss. Needless to say home came 45 chicks and I proceeded to call all my 4H kids. The came that day and took home 6 or so chicks which they raised, loved and cared for... We have to do better - We just have too!!!

Thanks Again

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  08:14:39 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad, Grace, thank you!!! You're right. It's our responsibility to spread the word. And, if we only get one person to think, that's one more than there was before!

It's so very sad to me to think that we can't comprehend where our food actually comes from, or how to make sensible choices when we are presented with a) or b). We are a nation of "easy".
A few weeks back, while driving on a backroad with a friend, we passed a sign outside of a farmhouse that said, "fresh eggs"...and I asked her if she wanted to stop--I ALWAYS need eggs :) She initially made an excuse about "what if they're not home?" and then, "I don't want to just waltz in on anyone...that seems weird." and finally, "I don't think I'd like eggs that aren't from a store. How does she keep them cold? How do we know that they're safe?"...We had a long discussion about eggs at Kroger...needless to say, if she does go back to the store, she's for sure buying cage free, organic eggs from now on :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  08:31:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Wow, Grace. Thank goodness for you! And who sets the standards in schools, anyhow? Why did those children HAVE to have TWO breads???? Why???

Okay, I understand about everybody working, etc. But I've always worked. Usually more than one job. And when my son was in grade school and taking ice skating lessons, we got up at 5:30am, I fixed slow cooking oatmeal and the dh made fresh juice. Then my ds and I got in my car and drove to the ice rink where he had lessons and then I dropped him off at school and I went to work. I took his skates in with me and dried them off. This morning, I had a discussion with a professor about the loss of PE in schools. He insists that kids won't get exercise if they don't do it in school. What?

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  08:49:34 AM  Show Profile
I missed it but, want to watch it. I heard about it on KLOVE radio station and how the church was working to change the community and then they were contacted to do the show. I hope it is a wake up call to many families. delicia
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  09:49:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jonni, for that link. I will check it out. I do thank you for posting this. It definitely was a huge wake up call for me. I went today and got fruits and veggies and organic animal crackers and I am going to make Kansas' lunches this week. Also got organic apple juice boxes. I am also going to make come crackers so got all the stuff for that. Anyway, spent lots of money. I can't wait to get my gardens going. And fresh strawberries! And apples and pears. Oh my!

Good for you, Grace. That would have been a disaster. I really hate when they do the "Easter" chicks and bunnies and ducks. I know that most of them will end up dead in a few days. It's so sad. But for teachers to do an experiemnt like that and not have a plan for when they hatch. Good grief!

Jonni, I have a friend who will not eat fresh eggs if they have any red veins or streaks. She throws them away. So she just buys the store eggs. It doesn't bother me at all. I'm so glad I don't have a weak stomach.

Sheri, I totally agree with you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

DyaLynn53
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Dianne
Roseburg Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  10:05:38 AM  Show Profile
Fantastic topic and thanks for the link to Jamie's page, I too will sign that petition. It will take a lot of work but there is reason to hope; the health of the nations children is a subject that First Lady Michelle Obama is also passionate about and the White House vegetable garden was planted with the help of a local school because of that passion. In Berkley Ca. Alice Waters started the Edible Schoolyard project in 1995 because of her passion for a local middle school to teach kids where their food comes from and the relationship between food and health and it is a project that is spreading www.edibleschoolyard.org; having a television program about the subject will raise awareness to an even higher level. Has anyone seen the documentary "Food, Inc."? I haven't had the chance to yet but I've read about how eye opening it is about the food industry. Maybe PBS will broadcast it, I know it's available on disc.

Farmgirl Sister #682

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  11:16:54 AM  Show Profile
Well, we watched it and DH and I were both grossed out really badly about the chicken patty demonstration. And then the kids wanting them just because they were hungry. I really don't think those kids understood, but then with a cook like Alice, and some of the those parents, how could they. We have decided that nobody in our home, even if just visiting, will be allowed to do chicken nuggets or fast food at all. DH and I discussed this and we didn't really learn nutrition in school. I learned cooking in Home Ec and all we ever discussed, really, was counting calories - which I hate!!!

I felt really badly for the little boy who is on the verge of diabetes, and I looked at his little sister and just shook my head. She is so big for a 4-year-old. When Jamie asked her favorite meal for the week and she said "pizza" and then her mom said no, you know something is up. You can tell by looking at those parents that nutrition is not high on their list. I hope this was a wake up call for them.

I will keep watching this. I have grandkids in school in Texas, Arkansas and here in OK and I will be raising a stink with them. I realize that we didn't get the best food in school as kids back in the '60s, but it was really good compared to this slop. We didn't get to choose our own lunches until we were in high school. You know little ones are not going to make good choices, they're going to take sweet and what tastes good to them. They're going to pick what their parents cook and lot of them aren't into nutrition, either.

I was shocked that those kids didn't even know what a potato is. I can understand not knowing eggplant and broccoli at that age, but potatoes and peas? Carrots?

I think PE needs to be put back in school. It was a requirement years ago. Nowadays, both parents work so the kids come home and lock themselves in the house and never go outside. They watch TV and video games. When my brothers and I were kids, we came home and did homework and chores and then played outside until either one of our parents came home or it got dark. I won't by video anything for my grandkids. And when they are with us, we are up and about and doing things. No CDs, DS, video games, etc. In fact, I lied and said we didn't have Cartoon Network on our TV. Sad, huh?

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

DyaLynn53
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Dianne
Roseburg Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  1:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Kay, I was shocked by how big those kids were too; just couldn't believe it when I heard he was a sixth grader and she was only 4, and I don't mean just their weight but overall. My husband said that some of that comes from factory-farmed chicken, beef & pork, the poor animals are fed so many growth hormones and that carries through to whatever eats it. We talked about when we were elementary kids in the early 60's, our lunches probably weren't the best nutrition wise but we never had flavored milk always a pint of whole milk and the only processed food "patty" I remember getting was fish sticks on Fridays oh and I know we had the instant potatoes. (hated them both) And while I know the vegetables were out of a can we did get green beans, corn, spinach and mixed vegetables. And exercise; we had to take PE right through my senior year in high school and at home we were always outside until mom called us in and we did the same with our kids. We gave up our tv when the oldest turned 2 and we didn't get one until the youngest was in high school. Oh they sometimes complained because they couldn't join in on their classmates discussions about tv programs but they got over it without any damage and I honestly don't remember them complaining all that much. Sometimes I honestly think that the biggest "enemy" of the family is the big multi-national corporations;their only "conscience" is the bottom line, how many dollars they can rake in. I'm talking about the top executives, not the regular people who have to work for them, they barely earn a living wage these days. OK, getting down off my soapbox now!

Farmgirl Sister #682

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  12:24:22 PM  Show Profile
Dianne I am with you and please stay on that soap box. I think that might be part of the problem - we are bullied into not having our say - we have allowed others to speak for us and they have failed horribly.

Also, I think we are made to feel like we are terrible folks if we don't give our kids all the electronic gadgets, mall crawls, aimless vechicle driving, consumer drones that are being passed off as living a good life - what life? My youngest son when he was in high school was asked by his teacher "How many of you eat dinner once a week with your parents and family?" Do you know he was the only one out of 45 students who raised his hand. When the teacher asked him which night of the week - he replied "Every Night". The teacher told him that he was the first student in three years that had ever done that - my son said he was looked at like a freak. That just should not be. Now I know we can not always do that but that should be the goal. Even when I traveled to shows I would arrange to call which ever son was home and talked to him while we ate - it may have been long distant but we thought it was important to connct.

So stand up on thos soap boxes - which is better then any prepackaged cereal box out there and let us take back those things that we seemed to have lost. Now, I am off to make me lunch - on homemade bread.

Grace Gerber

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  2:05:49 PM  Show Profile
I think the one big change in schools and even hospitals is that nothing is actually made in their kitchens anymore. I went to grade school in the fifties and our cafeteria made their own food. When I had my first baby in 1966 the hospital also made everything themselves, right down to homemade hot choclate. Now everything is catered by some company nothing is made from scratch anymore. Just like the Jamie Oliver show showed us. The schools are bad enough. But, it's not just the schools.The majority of bad eating stems from home. If it is quick and easy and cheap it is served. So it is truly a way of eating now. So many families have to have both parents working, the kids have a zillion and one sports and other activities going on. No one on a whole really eats together much anymore. It is a changed world. Let's face it. I think if there is any change to be made in our diets the changes have to come from home first and foremost. You can send the healthiest of meals with your kid to school, but lets face it, that doesn't mean they will eat it. That has been be going on since forever. My kids and I always ate together. My husband worked the b shift, but on weekends we all ate together.It is a huge and horrible problem. We have a friend that has 2 morbidly obese children. One is going on 12 in June, That one weighs 300lbs. Is 5'6" tall, yes, you read it right, 300 lbs.. The little girl is 7 and is not very tall, she has to weigh well over 100, and I do mean well over. They have had nutritionist upon nutritionist talk with them. No good,they still eat everything wrong. But, the parents honestly think they are doing all the right things. There is no change, I think they feel if they don't give them "treats" they aren't being good to them. So I can see first hand what anyone who is trying to help is up against. It is sad, but all we can do is as my Grandma used to say, start with our own families and our own little corner of the world and change that. If everyone did that, just think of all the changes that could come about. I guess it's like Jamie said, one plate at a time. Maybe he got that from his Grandma too lol!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  2:14:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
If any of you went to the schools and seen how the lunch room and lines are set up you would see why the kids are so fat. They have pizza, soft drinks, chips etc. Very little real food and all of it is canned and processed to the point most dogs would not even eat it but parents and kids don't seam to care. Then you have the kids that will not eat at all because they know it is not good for them. I think it all starts at home. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  3:09:36 PM  Show Profile
Was visiting my son and daughter in law (26 & 24) this weekend and we were discussing this svery thing. I reminded my son about his middle school days when he complained tthat he was the only one of his friends that had to eat dinner as a family every night. Well, we continued to eat as a family and he got over it. I reminded him that he came home from a school party in kindergarten and told me that all they had were really bad muffins with this sweet goo on top of them. Well, until then he had never hada cupcake. Saw no eason for it when he was happy eating whole grain muffins. He asked me to bring fruit kabobs to a 2nd grade party. The teacher told me none of the kids would eat fruit and drink cider bacause they always had junk snacks and that orange swill that Mcdonalds provides practically for free.
22 kids chowed down the fruit and the cider and wanted more.
My son is now a chef and doing his best to promote REAL food
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  4:56:05 PM  Show Profile
I saw another of Jamie's shows the other night. It was about chickens and how they're grown. He visited a factory farm and then another operation that was in accordance with the ASPCA The poor frakenchickens in the factory farm grow so fast their little legs can't support them for long (a chicken that matures in 35-38 days is that normal?! Not!). Not to mention they were missing big patches of feathers and looked like they had swellings all over their bodies. Compare that to a "normal" chicken why do we stand for this?

Factory Farm is not a nice concept, animals are not machines and shouldn't be treated as such.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  8:16:37 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I do the same and when I tell people what companys are doing to our food they cant believe me. And when I tell then that we are 1 crop away from starvation. They still dont believe me. And I also tell them that the government pays farmers not to grow crops. That they make more money not to grow than they do when they grow crops to sell. I am not sure where we (our country) is going by doing this to the people except to control.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  06:05:19 AM  Show Profile
Boy, does this hit home with me. Not to offend anyone, but I get so mad when I'm buying groceries and see people with their carts full of frozen pizza, FROZEN PANCAKES! (that one really amazed me), and all that other garbage. Then they pay with food stamps. I really think if someone gets food stamps they should be required to take a nutrition and cooking class. Most of these young people don't know how to prepare a real meal and their money would go so much further with fresh ingredients, not to mention being healthy. What channel is Jamie Oliver's show on? I would love to see it.

Judy

*Love one another*
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution--anyone watching? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page