vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  11:28:42 AM  Show Profile
I have been keeping my guineas in the coop because there is very little for them to eat yet, no leaves or high grass to hide in yet, and they will be a good snack for all the hungry spring predators. They are almost a year old and should start laying now, but no eggs yet. A neighbor thinks they will not lay if they are confined, yet I read to keep them confined until they lay because I do not want to do an easter egg hunt everyday. Anyone know?
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  5:16:23 PM  Show Profile
Guineas do not like to be cooped up. They will dig into the dirt and eat all kinds of bugs and grubs etc. They do not seed tall grass to feed. In fact most of the time when it looks like they are eating grass they are probably digging inbetween. If the only thing keeping you from letting them out is that you think they won't find food - let them out!!!! Leave some feed where they can getit if they need to but you will be surprised at what they can find!

The other issue is light. Do they get any light in the coop?? They will need about 14 hours of light to lay.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  7:36:51 PM  Show Profile
Jane, I have raised guineas. They have survived with no feed from me. They only would lay eggs in the spring. Then they would lay wherever they wanted to. Some of them layed in the nest boxes. But mostly in the field right outside the fence. They would lay about 20 eggs then start setting on the nest. I finally gave them all away.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Will guineas lay cooped up Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page