Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Well Pooh. Double Stinkin' POOH!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Well Pooh. Double Stinkin' POOH! Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  06:08:18 AM  Show Profile
Ok, ya'll will never guess in a million years so I'll just tell ya. Sandy kidded last night. Yep, she finally did it. I went out there this morning and I could hear a kid. And I didn't hear her. So I poke my head around the corner and all I can see is a bunch of goats in there with Sandy. Abby and Faith and all their stinkin' boys were in the pen I had put Sandy in. So I got them all out and looked again. Over in the corner were 2 of the dang cutest little Nubian kids I have ever seen! One is a mini replica of Sandy. Exactly like her. Except for one little stinkin' difference. Ok, I'll just say it. It's a stinkin' BUCK. I didn't check the other one til I had brought her some molasses water and feed. Then I reached back there between the legs. And it's another stinkin' buck. I am just amazed. BUT he is adorable. He's black with brownish reddish legs and ears. And with wattles or toggles whatever those things are. And did I mention he is so darn adorable? Oh my goodness, those ears! They are so long and soft. They were both very dry so I guess she had them in the night. But they are all fine. Sandy is not wanting them near her right side so I am thawing some of Sadie's colostrum and will feed them a bottle in a bit. But OMG! They are so stinkin' cute.

Kris, in stinkin' buck world.

Happiness is simple.

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  06:41:03 AM  Show Profile
Kristin...I can sympathize with you...yet I've never had any goats LOL! It's hard to be disappointed when those little boys are just so darn cute, huh?

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  06:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Well you can sell them. Not any good for milk or babies to one degree. But everyone knows the babies are cute then they grow up. What fun for now. It is so cool even the animal world wants to tell the new moms hi and the best to you. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.

Edited by - solilly on Mar 23 2010 06:47:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  07:12:50 AM  Show Profile
Well that totally stinks!! We were all pulling for you to get some does. But you are right, does or bucks, either way they are still darn cute!!!!

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  07:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Oh you poor thing!! I am soo sorry Kris. Are they healthy? What are you going to name them? Is Sandy doing ok? Are you ok Kris? Those are the things I always worry about first. lol
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  07:52:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Aww! Too bad they have some "extra bits" :( But good thing they are cute! That at least makes up for it a little bit!

Have you ever tried giving apple cider vinegar to the goats in their water around breeding time (like a month before and for about a month after you know they are pregnant? I don't know if it's an old wives tale or not, and I know it doesn't work 100% of the time, but it is supposed to (at least in horses) change the PH of the female's body so she is more hospitable to the girl fertilized eggs as opposed to the boys, or perhaps the PH helps push towards females. I am not 100% sure... but I know we gave ACV to the mares at the horse ranch and they get more fillies than colts.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  08:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thats really intresting Alee. I have never heard of that before.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  08:20:25 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I did give them ACV. It did not work here. I have heard over and over it's the buck that determines the sex of the kids. So next year I am going to look for a grown buck that has had does kids and go from there. Because this is getting old.

Yes, they are all healthy and running around already. The older ones are anyway. They are all outside playing in the sun and jumping on the rocks. The new kids are still in the barn with Sandy. I took some pictures. I need to see if my DD can get them in the computer for me.

I think I might just wether them all. I might keep Sandy's 2 and train them for a cart or wagon. I don't know yet. They are so cute. The black one looks just like the father. And the other one is just like Sandy. I just love those ears. Of my goodness. I think I am so allergic to baby goats though. Since they've been here my eyes have done nothing but itchy and watery and are so red. I have got to remember to wash my hands after lonin' on them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 23 2010 08:40:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  08:27:10 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am soo glad they are doing good Kristin!! To bad you don't live closer because I am looking for another buck. When Ebony gets older I am not going to breed her to her father. I think its a little gross. But I do know some people who do that and its ok with me. But for my goats I am not doing that. :) I want to see some pictures if you can post them!!! They sounds soo cute!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  08:50:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kris I am so glad the babies are healthy and mother is doing fine but I understand your disappointment. I understand that the boy is suppose to control the sex but I have used many billies and found that what the girls seem to do is throw the same sex more often then not. My Rebecca always throws two males no matter what... Maggie throws mostly twins and if they are twins then they are one of each - if she throws only a single it is a huge male. Eboney throw twins - one of each. Mother Goose has one of each but again if only one it is a boy. Esmerelda - twins one of each she has been the only one to throw a single girl. So I have just about given up on that theory... I also have not seen any change in the sexs but changing their ph. It might work for horses but I have not had any luck with that for goats and sheep. So this is when we get creative. Luckly, my males produce incredible fiber so I can still make good money off their fleece. I never eat anyone here but if you have a Hispanic community they love goat. I still get calls every year from folk trying to purchase goat meat. I did sell lamb meat for years but once I sold the flocks I will not sell goat meat... I wish you luck and give those boys a hug from me - I too get red eye's when snuggling my goats.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  3:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Well poo Kris!!

We were all pulling for some does for you! Since they are so cute, maybe you should work on the cart pulling thingy. Some people also train them as pack goats. Another option if there are a lot of hiking trails in your area.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  4:56:39 PM  Show Profile
Great suggestion Candy

I have two large wether Cashmere goats who not only make the most incredible fiber but they are also great packers. My sons loved to hike/camp and rock climb so I purchase paneers and hand carved wooden harness and set out training. They really love it and work their hearts out. At night they would come into the tent with the boys and where used as pillows, heaters and guards.. My goat boys sure miss the adventures and workout - I just do not have the time to take them by myself because who would feed and take care of all the other goats who are at the farm....

I also have a friend who uses her big guys to plow her garden, pull a cart with supplies and is a great draw when she has open houses - they pull a cart with kids and folks pay her for that...

See a whole new business for you...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  6:39:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kris, Say it isn't so.
Oh well, there is always next year!
Hugs,
Gena

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  7:49:36 PM  Show Profile
oh kris, so sorry....wow..... when i read the posts i thought hey good idea....put them to work. they could pull the drag through the poop in the field.there is always work to do. i bought a boer goat for a friend for ginger. she could pull a train.she has only been here a few days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  8:06:49 PM  Show Profile
Grace, the Hispanic people here want large sheep. They won't even look at goats. There's a family that comes here every year about this time looking for sheep. I have sold older ewes to them. I keep trying to sell them goats but they don't want them. It's strange. And they want chickens, too.

Gena, I don't know if I can go through this again. It's too heartbreaking. If I do I will look for an older buck that has thrown more does than bucks.

I do think I like the cart pulling for the goats. Do you think they can be trained to pull a plow if there were enough of them? That's a thought.

Sherrye, I'm so glad you found a friend for Ginger. Now she won't be so lonely.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  03:58:44 AM  Show Profile
So sorry Kris! I will be thinking of your herd and wishing for some does for next spring. It was great to read about all of this as it unfolded.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  04:05:49 AM  Show Profile
Kris, you listen here. You cannot give up. We need to get you a different buck to try. Do you have any friends that you could borrow the use of their buck? That is really the best way anyway. I should be talking to myself too. Almost everything I read says to not keep a buck.
Don't you give up. You will feel different in a couple days.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  08:30:29 AM  Show Profile
Gena, I will not give up. There has to be some girl eggs in them somewhere. So we will keep trying.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Well Pooh. Double Stinkin' POOH! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page