Page: of 2

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  08:19:57 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Anyone else feel like this? I think I would fit right in with the pioneer era. I love wearing long skirts and dresses with my apron over them. I love doing things all by hand. I love baking and cooking our own food. What can I say?! I am an old soul! I wish we had quilting bees and tea partys and dances like they did. Don't you think it would be fun to have a farmgirl quilting bee or tea party? Or even dance? I am just not really into the things teen do today which I think in sertain things is a good thing. I do like to go to movies with my friends, I like to spend the night with them, and play dress up and have fun playing around with make up. lol Yes, even at 15 I like to do those things. :) So if you feel like you are in the wrong era what era would you be from?
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  08:48:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Channah -

I think a lot of us feel the same as you do - we are all pioneer women at heart! I

Luanne
beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  08:55:48 AM  Show Profile
Channah,
I used to feel and think that way too. I love all the things that you stated. I would have conversations with my Lord and say things like, why couldn't I have been in those times. Well, one day... after a long while he answered. He revealed to me that if I was born in those times both my first daughter and I would both have died during childbirth, due to complicated delivery. I had labored (full labor)for three days Then my second daughter would not be born due to me not being around. With that realization, I am thankful to be of these times with the modern medicine for C-section and being blessed with two blessed girls!
So now, I enjoy these days with the technology and heart of a country girl... farmgirl. I can still wear skirts, I can bake and cook my own food. I attend tea parties or create my own. They still have quilting bees in some small towns. If not, start one! I still play dress up! You bet! my Granddaughters will expect me to be part of their world!
So, we can still do all things that were done "back then"... after all...we're MaryJanesFarmgirls!!!!!

So... live today with your heart and desires!!!
:o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Karrieann on Mar 23 2010 08:56:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  08:55:52 AM  Show Profile
Me to sweetie! we are all tough but sweet pioneers at heart!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  09:33:44 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Karieann, I love thinking what it would be like to have lived in a different time but, I do enjoy a lot of the freedom and conveniences of today. I think God places where we need to be and am just happy and blessed to be here. I think sometimes we do not live in the moment. I tend to take things for granted and then see people who are suffering and think how ungreatful of me to not revel in what I have been blessed with. It is fun to day dream about being born in a different time though.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  09:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Very true Karrieann. As a matter of fact neither me or my sister would be here. My mom had to have C-sections for both of us. I am so sorry if I sounded ungratful. I guess I would love to go back in time and see what it was like. We can all dream!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  09:58:37 AM  Show Profile
I have felt like I was born in the wrong era my whole life. That is why I like it here so much. There are so many other ladies who are like me. Everyone I know thinks that I am so weird and so old fashioned, but that is who I am.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  10:03:48 AM  Show Profile
I had a similar experience as Karieann. My son would likely not be here and neither would I. I agree though that there are things from the past that we can appreciate and marvel at (and it would be fun to time travel to visit) but I like the right to vote, the civil rights, the advances in medicine too much to actually wish I lived in the past. Besides, if we lived in the 1800s we'd never have the Internet and we wouldn't be chatting from Pennsylvania to Washington and everywhere in between! :-)

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  10:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I was born in the wrong century too. I have felt this all my life. I loved Little House on the Prarie as a girl. This is what led me to Civil War re-enacting and that is where I met my wonderful hubby.

Yes, I had my daughter c-section. But if nature had been let run its course, I wouldn't have had too. They had the date wrong and I knew it and kept telling them. So one never knows about that.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to keep that dream alive. We all have that pioneer spirit!!

Have a wonderful day.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  10:17:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
I agree with everyone here! I love wearing my dresses around the house and my aprons too!

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/

Check out my ETSY store too! I'm loving it!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Claudiascraftshop
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  10:24:07 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes I wish I could go join an Amish community. I don't know necessarily about the pioneer days because it seems that homesteads were very separated. I would love to live the simple life of the Amish though, and love the thought of quilting bees and family get togethers and baking days and teas. All of that sounds wonderful. I would love the quiet of it and the tradition. But, then again, I think I might get lonely without my MJF friends LOL! Might not be so bad if I had wonderful get togethers to look forward too though.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  10:41:25 AM  Show Profile
Channah...
never did you sound ungrateful! We love our day dreams. I think many of us would like the other eras, because I believe we value the "values" of the times gone by.

:o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  11:29:43 AM  Show Profile
I have to admit to being a bit used to the modern conveniences, as far as creature comforts. But yes, I feel like I could have been born earlier too, possibly back in colonial times. I would dearly love to attend things such as quilting bees, barn dances, and tea parties. As a teenager I never really fit in with the things that teens were doing back then (the late 70s and early 80s). Yes, I did sleep overs and make up too. But I loved reading about colonial and pioneer times and I dreamed of going back in time as well.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  12:14:48 PM  Show Profile
Me too, me too!!! Both me and DH feel we live in the wrong time period.... we both have trouble fitting in to our age group. I think most people our age (20-30) don't know what REAL fun is! getting out there and being with people and doing things, like crafts, dances, tea parties, everything you gals mentioned. Working with your hands and minds.... I watch old movies and just mope, wishing I could live like those people! The parties they had in Gone With the Wind? FUN!!! I don't know what time period I'd like to live in, but it's certainly not this one....

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  1:27:04 PM  Show Profile
I too agree about my two children and myself may not be here today, because of difficult labor. They both had to be turned and I'm almost sure they didn't do that in pioneer days. I can pretty much do all they did right here where I am. But I do like the thought of horse and buggies. The tea parties and quilting bea's. The problem now is there's so many choices as to what you can entertain yourself with. Back then the parties and bea's were about all they had. Now a days, so many couldn't even imagine the fun and enjoyment involved with those activities. And you know the ladies looked like ladies. And the gentlemen treated them like ladies. It's so sad where the clothing has gone to now. But in our hearts and minds and our ability to make that life true today is in our grasp. Let's not let the times today stop us. Channah you just keep on living the way you enjoy it. Dress up and make-up! You are a very fine young woman.
Blessings, Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  2:13:02 PM  Show Profile
Much agreed, Brenda.... I wish women nowadays were more feminine! Maybe we've lost some of that femininity through women wanting to join the work force and being treated like men? That's kind of what I believe... and in the process we've lost what being feminine is all about. I think we can be delicate flowers AND strong! Like those beautiful, hard working pioneer women who still fixed their hair and wore dresses and heeled shoes while milking the cows, churning butter, and pumping water from the well... Yes, Channah... you are a very fine example of a generous farmgirl... keep at it!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  2:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
That is the number one reason that I loved Civil War re-enacting so much. I was treated as a lady. I enjoyed dressing up and going to the balls and teas, or just sat out under a tree stitching or just chatting. But when I did the nurse bit, I went around on the field. I was with a doctor, but the guys still treated me like a lady.

I almost could not believe what I looked like dressed in a period ball gown and my hair up with long curls. It was so comfortable and me!!!

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  2:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I think being Amish would be fun too. It is fun to just dream though! Again I am sorry I sounded ungratful. I really, truly am I just think it would be fun to live in a diffrent era. Thanks for sharing ladies!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  2:57:17 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Sorry girls my era is Victorian. That dress, those tea parties, those dinners etc. I would still be the flower garden person, the craaft person for there were lots of samplers etc done by ladies of that day. Well I can still dream and have fun. Yes once in a while I even make me one of those large fancy dresses to wear at home. Like I said one can dream. My dreams are in the color I paint them. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  4:00:24 PM  Show Profile
I belong either during the pioneer times or during World War II. I think it would be so much fun to ration, plant Victory Gardens, and do everything they did. Channah, I do think it is true that all of us belong in some other era.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  6:44:06 PM  Show Profile
Boy, Channah, you really do create some thought-provoking questions! For me, I love the 1940's. Love the music, how feminine and glamorous women were, the milk glass, things with 'cherries" printed on it, aprons from the 30's and 40's...I have a friend who calls me "50's wife" because I love all things "domestic". But, aren't we lucky we can make farmgirl friends on our modern computers!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  7:19:42 PM  Show Profile
I would love to live in a diffrent era. I think its just in our blood. We cant help it. Tasha Tudor lived as if it was a different era. We can to, up to a point. We have to choose that point. At least we have others that think alike. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  7:24:10 PM  Show Profile
When I was a teen, I used to wish I'd been born at the turn of the twentieth century. I would have loved having Teddy Roosevelt as the president, going to a state fair and seeing Dan Patch race, living in a simpler, kinder time---now I sometimes wish I could go back to the Middle Ages--knights in shining armor, King Arthur, Robin Hood--though they seem worlds apart, both were eras where women were treated with courtesy and respect. I enjoy all the comforts and conveniences of this modern age, and though I'm in favor of women's rights, I wish there were more real men out there. I wish we lived in a society that allowed men to be men and women to be women. Sadly, I doubt we'll ever have that type of society in this country again.
cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  06:33:52 AM  Show Profile
When my girls were young we would have one night a month when we used no electricity. I would cook dinner in the fireplace and we would eat by candle light and read my lantern light.
I think I could have lived like that all the time
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  07:58:33 AM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
I definitely could live in the pioneer era as well! I'll be 21 in a few days, and I never did any of the things "normal" teens do, not to mention those my age...and as far as turning 21, I'd venture a guess it will be much different than most! I guess we (my family and I) live like we're in a different time period that we are actually in!!! It's not so bad! :) Sounds like you and I are a lot alike, Channah!

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  08:33:43 AM  Show Profile
My sister and I have had this conversation several times. We're having our own "quilting bee" tomorrow - just the two of us. We're getting together once or twice a month to help each other or do fun things. We decided that this summer we would have our own dress up tea party and just do some fun things that we envy the pioneers or victorians for.

I'd like to be a pioneer lady and be one of the first to see the "new country". Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be the first person to see a new land. Just enjoy the original, unspoiled beauty.

Channah, you're so right about the long skirts, etc. Fashion can be fun, but sometimes its stressful, too.

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Born in the wrong era. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page