Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Ugh. My cats are peeing on my living room rug!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Ugh. My cats are peeing on my living room rug! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  06:57:41 AM  Show Profile
I think it's behavioral...Violet has started walking and is WAY mobile, and she loves to pet the kitties. We always make sure she doesn't pull whiskers, or hair, and that we're right there...but it obviously is offputting to to two old cats. Last week we started smelling cat pee while sitting on the couch...so I got down yesterday on the rug and there are major spots of cat pee...they have 3 litter boxes, that I clean everyday, so that's not it..

What can I do? Should I just throw the (less than 6 month old rug) out? It's all wool, and I'm just afraid that I won't be able to clean it effectively.

Jerks!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  07:03:44 AM  Show Profile
All I can suggest is that you & I go rug shopping soon. I have a 10x 15 wool rug that Willow has had many accidents on. This is what I do. I pour vinegar on, then I pour on Dr Bronner's peppermint castile soap(I buy it by the gallon) & scrub. Then I pour more vinegar, a little more peppermint castile, & scrub again. Then I take an old towel, lift the rug up & put it underneath to kind of air dry so to speak. Then have a humped up rug for a day or so. Then she does it again. Then I do prior steps again. & then I tell Jim that our rug is runied. I think it helps with the smell, but I am sure it probably still stinks.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  07:20:41 AM  Show Profile
Maybe we'll go up to Ikea. I'm just soooo frustrated. I don't hate the cats, typically, but when I got down on my hands and knees yesterday morning, I sure did. Jerks. Willow is not well, and she's older...she doesn't do it on purpose like these guys do! I have Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap in the shower. I might just see what happens...for now, though, it's rolled up and standing up in the living room. I bought Kids and Pets and saturated the spots that I found, and then let it dry on the porch yesterday. But, I still smell it...plus the scent of kids and pets! So, I'm probably just going to leave it up for the warmer weather.

They're both so old and crotchety...I might just wait until they pass to buy anything.

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  08:10:17 AM  Show Profile
That's funny Jonni, I have just about decided I can't buy new furniture until Annabelle passes (our bassett hound) What would be the point? Good luck with the kitties and the rug - I have had the best luck with white vinegar too.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  08:20:25 AM  Show Profile
Pinky does that too, since about a month! I used the vinegar method and she started licking my hands, silly cat ;( It is seeping through onto the wood, so put the vinegar on the wood AND the rug, nothiung helps duh. I clean her litter box often as well, she does the poo there, just not the pee yikes.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  08:35:52 AM  Show Profile
8Sigh* I have a cat named Bandit, he ran afoul of a harvester and is now only three legs, so I can't toss him out, but he pees on everything. Hence he lives in a basket in the master bath =( I love the cat, but I sure don't love his piddlin' all over. I had to throw out the carpet, because the other cats just kept spotting it. I wish I'd thought about the vinegar before I tossed the carpet =(

Good luck everyone, cat pee is a pain to get out of things.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  08:54:44 AM  Show Profile
Usually once a cat pees on something they will go back and do it again. They are extremely territorial and mark their spots obsessively. Don't think they will stop. You may have to remove the rug and just leave the floor bare, clean the floor so there is no smell and then see what happens. That being said they may start peeing on other things that are Violet's so try to keep her soft stuff off the floor, like stuffies and clothes, blankets that sort of thing.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  11:38:48 AM  Show Profile
One thing I do after I use vinigar and such to clean it. I then use a product like 'OUT'. It has a natural enzyme that eats up the odor naturally. Their are other products out their that work using this enzyme that you can use. The orange cleaners and stuff mask they don't eat the odor. If you have a rug thats on a wooded floor like mine you need to lay plastic under the area you are going to treat. Its important that the area stay wet at least 12 to 24 hours so the enzymes have time to work. After that let it dry and then sprizt essential oils lightly over the area.
Cats don't like perfumy things or you can buy a actual cat replent too. But I just use essential oils like lavender, rosemary, lemon, orange. Don't use pepperment or pines. They tend to attract cats for some reason.

I had the same thing happen on my braided rug. I actually bought a pet enzyme cleaner that goes in a carpet machine just for the pet pee. It worked super great. It took a couple of hours but the smell is really gone. I bought a drop cloth from the store you use to put down when you paint. It was a few dollars but did the trick.

Hope this helps.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Mar 22 2010 11:43:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  11:50:32 AM  Show Profile
I had an old cat that started peeing on the carpet for no reason, turns out she had an urinary infection....maybe that is the case with one of your cats, and the others just decided to pee there also. Good luck, there isn't much worse than that

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  1:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I feel your pain. Chip and Dale do it entirely as revenge. :( My little terrier, Minnie, hates the cats. She growls at them and shows them her teeth and gums every chance she gets. Buster just thinks they're animated toys to be chased. After these guys, no more cats.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  7:23:58 PM  Show Profile
There is an all natural enzyme product that our drugstore sells that does wonders! I have to go into town tomorrow, email me if you want the name of it (I can't remember it) and I will check the name. Maybe you can find it or order it online. It is not the Natures Miracle, but similar.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  10:34:16 PM  Show Profile
I too feel your pain. The three P's have been the bane of my pet ownership. I have two rugs that haven't been peed, pooped, or puked on. This is because I close the door and be sure that my dogs are supervised closely if they are in the room.

I learned too late that wool naturally attracts animals to use as a potty mat. My mini Schnauzer was peeing everywhere for several years. I found out that she had bladder stones. And, of course, her little bladder couldn't hold her urine.

I had a cat that was peeing on strange places such as the top of our washing machine. I found out that she had a kidney infection.

I use enzyme cleaners.

But as we all know once one does it they all do. The not so joyous part of having pets.

"though an old man yet, I am a young gardener." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  06:47:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls, truly. Some great ideas here for cleaning, though it does seem like it's just best to take the darn thing up and wait till these guys pass on. I'm with Janice on this: no more kitties unless they're barn guys/gals after they go. I love them, but I don't love the urine or the bad behavior. I thought it might be an infection, too, but Pump has been to the vet and was all clear. Seems like he's just old and crotchety, and Violet is much too busy for his liking. He spends most of his day (and night) asleep on the sofa, and he's just shy of 14. Wow. I can't believe he's almost 14!!!

Nicole, I'd love to know the name...right now I've used "Kids and Pets" and something from Petsmart that cost $30.00. It's also an enzymatic cleaner that is used by the government (and recommended by Cat Fancy)...which scared me a little, but I thought it might do the trick.

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  08:56:46 AM  Show Profile
I might suggest Oder Ban - you can find it at home depot. It works like a charm - I use it to clean all the items that come into contact with my animals and humans. Kills everything and will aid in getting that cat to stop marking. The issue is to give them a reason not too do something... So I might suggest for just a bit to place some mouse traps in those spots the cat uses = the moment the cat gets too close, snap goes the trap and the cat will not wish to keep tempting faith. I know it is a pain but it works and then you can have your rug back.

Good luck

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  09:12:57 AM  Show Profile
http://www.mistermax.com/

This Anti-Icky-Poo is supposed to work really well, though I have yet to try it.
With these last few cats, I think we've had enough of the indoor variety...

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  6:51:33 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I will run in the store tomorrow and grab the name. I have used it and it has saved so much at our house. It's not that expensive, either, maybe six dollars for a big bottle, but it sure works. Will post you the name tomorrow.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  6:52:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I didn't get a chance to get over there yet, but tomorrow's Friday and I will pop in and get back to you. Sorry, but it has been a nutty week. I haven't forgotten you!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Ugh. My cats are peeing on my living room rug! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page