nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  11:49:53 AM  Show Profile
I just ordered 5 araucanas who will be hatching May 24 and I pick them up May 25. I already have 9 hens, 1 roo, 3 ducks and 2 guinea hens, (one of which should be thrown out on his ear). I really hoped one of my girls would get broody and sit on her eggs, but I am inpatient and want more to add to my flock but if a baby happens along the way with one of the olrder gals, that is still fine by me. I know the newbies have to be bigger before putting them in with the older gals. Can anyone give me some life experience/guidance on this?

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  3:19:21 PM  Show Profile
They need to be completly feathered and 3-5 months old, in other words about the same size as your other hens, then mix them in together at night. Even so, there will be squables to re-establish pecking order.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"

Edited by - 1badmamawolf on Mar 26 2010 3:20:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  3:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Hey Kim,

I was always told that the new chickens need to be at least as big as the existing chickens before adding them to the flock. I also try to do it in the evening after the existing flock has gone into the hen house. Supposedly, they all wake up in the morning and say "Hey, where did you guys come from!!??" LOL! There will be still be some pecking until they get the new pecking order figured out though. My chicks from last fall are finally getting along pretty good with the older hens and we introduced them into the flock about 4 to 6 weeks ago.

P.S. Teresa, I think we were posting at the same time!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.

Edited by - Candy C. on Mar 26 2010 3:20:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  6:32:06 PM  Show Profile
My girls free range. When I got chicks they had their own house and pen that bordered the coop and night run area of my grown girls. They litterally were neighbors. As they grew they talked and interacted through the fence. Once my chicks were laying eggs I let the two flocks mingle in the yard during the day for about a week. This helped them figure out the pecking order and they still went to their respective pens at night. After a week I moved the "chicks" in with the other hens at night. I left them cooped for 36 hours so they would know this was their new home. I then let them range and closed off the other run. Most went to the coop the next night. I had to carry a few lost birds to their new home for two nights and they got it figured out. Thtas what worked for me!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  7:22:51 PM  Show Profile
Candy, I think you are right, and we posted pretty much the same advice,lol.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Adding new chickens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page