Page: of 3

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  06:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
I am typically a food seperator with a couple exceptions. I like my spaghetti or lasagna mixed with corn,chicken fried steak mixed with mashed potatoes and gravy, and then there is mexican food. It doesn't matter if it is enchalidas, chimichunga, chili rellenos, or anything else, every bite has to have some beans, rice, guac, sour cream, tomatoes, and lettuce.

I am the only one in the house that doesn't eat ketchup. I just can't stand it. I can cook with it. I have an awesome sweet and sour sauce made from ketchup. Mircle whip ruins a good sandwich. Just having it on my fingers turns my stomach. Ranch dressing is good on anything, including potatoes (baked & french fried), and pizza. And I can't eat a fried egg if I have to chase down the yoke.

There is a few things DH does that I just don't get. Ketchup w/beans and cornbread, applesauce w/chili, and salt and pepper on cottage cheese.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  11:10:34 AM  Show Profile
Gotta have:
with tomato soup gotta have a tuna fish sandwich.
with vege soup gotta have a peanut butter(and sometime jelly) sandwich.
When cooking for hubby (I don't eat meat)-gotta have:
with Pork chops gotta have applesauce and either mashed or scalloped potatoes.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  11:20:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh..with tomato soup it has to be a grilled cheese sandwich!! But..it has to be made with real butter, cheddar cheese on whole wheat grainy type bread.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  12:51:18 PM  Show Profile
Gee I remember a time living on tomato soup and grilled cheese!! Tomato soup has to have a pinch of dill in it though.

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  2:45:16 PM  Show Profile
For me personally, grilled cheese only goes with cream of mushroom soup. And of course the grilled cheese sandwich is dipped in ketchup. Yum!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  4:58:26 PM  Show Profile
Grilled cheese made from Velveeta -- I know, I know!! Don't send the food police!

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2006 :  8:01:36 PM  Show Profile
These are really funny! I KNOW I have some definite food rules! My DH says I'm really weird about meat and getting weirder. He's right. I eat very little red meat.
Never steak but love the baked potato.
Tomato soup must have grilled cheese.
Peanut butter on english muffins.
Honey on cornbread.
Apples(never Delicious) with cheese or with peanut butter.
I love all vegetables with the possible exception of eggplant.
Salt on canteloupe(never heard of it on watermelon)
Always real butter....I agree with the whoever said that about the cow and the scientist.
Beer with pizza, usually dark beer, like Black Butte Porter.
I don't drink pop. I think it's nasty and a very bad habit.
My bacon must be crisp to burnt.
Oatmeal is Scottish oatmeal or pinhead oats with a little brown sugar and cream if it's available.
Coffee..........fresh with a little milk or cream, no artificial stuff.

I think that covers it. Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  06:54:20 AM  Show Profile
Must have Italian food EVERY Sunday while watching Soprano's..
Everything is made from scratch. *except I cheat and buy store bought bread.
Never had Hamburger Helper in the house NEVER will.
Always have seafood as at least an appetizer for the holidays.
Always serve something new for the holidays.
Never drink Grape ANYTHING (got sick on a tilt a whirl after drinking grape soda fast, got off and threw up on the attendents feet (sooooooo embarrassing as a 5 year old) *except I like grape juice.
Cook outside during the summer.
Everytime we have a huge snowstorm.. I barbeque. Kids loved it when they were young, still do it.
I mix coleslaw (the Kentucky Fried Chicken type) with mashed potatoes.
Garlic was made for just about every type of meat. Especially beef.
Everyone should eat yogurt at least once a day. I make it by the gallon. Quart really.
The best vanilla, is the kind my Mother in law sends me from Germany. I use the super fresh beans to make my own vanilla, store bought doesn't cut it.

If you treat an individual as what he is, he will stay that way, but if you
treat him as if he were what he could be, he will become what he could be.
-- Goethe
www.jennywrensurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  06:59:28 AM  Show Profile
No, no, no. You have it all wrong. Grilled cheese goes with vegetable soup. Preferably, Progresso brand minestrone. Homemade will do, but Progresso is better for this application.

And government surplus cheese makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches ever (or at least it did when I was little). They should sell that stuff as "Gov't Surplus Brand". It could put a dent in the national debt.

:)
Go to Top of Page

JennyWren
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

USA
201 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  08:11:56 AM  Show Profile
I love this forum! As I was driving to the store, I thought to myself all the way there.. about these silly food rules and thought of a couple more...

Butter makes EVERYTHING taste better! The turkey is a little dry, put butter on it! You want Oatmeal? Put butter on it... You don't like the way that tastes? But butter on it! And I wonder why I have gained weight?

Rootbear floats are a gift from God.. But it has to be made with REAL vanilla icecream and Mug Rootbear....

American cheese is good.. Gov't cheese is better for grilled cheese sandwichs ..which should only be served with Tomato soup!

Such silly stuff.. Such fun!

If you treat an individual as what he is, he will stay that way, but if you
treat him as if he were what he could be, he will become what he could be.
-- Goethe
www.jennywrensurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/

Edited by - JennyWren on Apr 28 2006 10:42:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  09:31:20 AM  Show Profile
Am I the only one who knows grilled cheese goes with tomato soup?

And Kay, on Newton's Apple kids' science show one time, they analyzed coke and pepsi and I found out why I'm a coke-freak. Pepsi has added spice lavors such as nutmeg and cinnamon. I can't stand cinnamon, so I have had to conclude that I'm a snob about coke because there is a difference in taste. At least I don't feel crazy now that I understand the reason!

This is fun. I've actually been wanting to try some folks' rules on to expand my horizons.
Go to Top of Page

crazymoose
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Caryn
Auburn WA
38 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2006 :  2:59:38 PM  Show Profile
Grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup
Apple sauce with pork chops
Roast beef, cooked carrots and potatoes one night, leftovers made into homemade soup with other added ingredients
Meatloaf leftovers turn into meatloaf sandwich with mayo and ketchup
Salmon loaf good, leftovers still good
Christmas and Thanksgiving Turkey not Ham
I like yams, but not candied
Tuna salad at Christmas, looks like tuna, but is jello with nuts and candied cherries and other stuff, a dessert salad
I can mix cream corn with mashed potatoes, not regular corn
Tuna mix for sandwich is: tuna, mayo, and sweet relish. Don’t like boiled egg in it.
Tuna sandwich can be served hot with a white cheese?

When I was little the only way to eat eggs was to put ketchup on them. Now I don’t. A fried eggs need to be fried with toast; cookie cut middle out and fry together. Scrambled eggs need the cheese from the glass jar, don’t know name.
I don’t eat pancakes because my dad tried to make double a batch of it and ended up putting too much baking soda or powder in it and they were flat and smelled like fish.
I don’t really like strawberries because when I was little I had lipstick that smelled like it and thought it would taste like it, it did not. Ruined me on strawberries.
My family’s Texas barbeque sauce only goes on ribs beef or pork or chicken and must be grilled otherwise doesn’t taste right. Eaten with hands and the messier the better.

Shrimp must be breaded and eaten warm, not cold, and not where you have to peel everything off (tried it in Miss.)
After I have gone clamming and cut and cleaned clams, I will not eat them nor do I care for the smell.
The only fish I like eaten raw is mackerel
Hotdogs can only be eaten on hotdog bun with ketchup.
Yellow mustard is gross, the dark stuff is better. The stuff in Arkansas is really good.
When baking cake or brownies or the like, use applesauce instead of oil.

As for my family members: my sister eats pizza with a fork. I have an uncle who used to pinch the legs off grasshoppers and eat the legs. I have another uncle who put ketchup on everything including his ice cream, while he grew up.

I like chicken nuggets, but after working at fast food place and learning that they can bounce like those little rubber balls, I stay away from them at that particular food joint.

A & W root beer float is the best!

Has to be Dr. Pepper in a can not plastic, not diet coke. Mt. Dew in a can.

Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead. Louisa May Alcott

Edited by - crazymoose on Apr 28 2006 3:01:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2006 :  07:57:05 AM  Show Profile
DH doesn't eat red meat, however he like pepperoni/sausage pizza, hotdogs and brats, hmmm. I have a thing in my mind I can't have a dessert before I have the meal, whether is be lunch or dinner, but I'll have ice cream at an odd time of day without eating a healthy thing first - weird. Don't like raw carrots, but like them cooked, just the opposite with peas, like them raw but won't eat cooked. Homemade chicken fingers have to have mash potatoes and corn, seems strange without them. We like breakfast for dinner, DH likes pizza for breakfast. I only like mustard on a hotdog, DH likes everything on his.

Caryn, you are right - A & W rootbeer floats are the best!

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan

Edited by - asnedecor on Apr 29 2006 08:00:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2006 :  10:45:18 AM  Show Profile
I seem to be the only one who like cream of mushroom soup with grilled cheese....(whimper) :(

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2006 :  12:00:22 PM  Show Profile
I like it, Alison! I don't have a grilled cheese food rule.

Well, I guess I do; it has to be real cheddar, and extra sharp, please. On whole wheat or sourdough.

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2006 :  3:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Just a few food things I learned from an exchange student from Brazil-
they like mayo on corn on the cob
they don't have marshmellows nor do they know what a s'more is
their coffee is so heavy and dark it resembles mudd when made
they don't have blueberries at least where he is from)
and for some reason he liked mustard on everything.

I don't have food rules per say though yes, grilled cheese and tomato soup is like ice cold milk and an oreo cookie- they forever go together what a classic combination( yeah thats the commercial)

But when I taught preschool for lunch we would have hot dogs, baked beans, and chips like 4 times a month. so I would take the baked beans, crunch up the chips and put them on top and then add ketchup. that was one tasty little concoction. Oh and the number one rule at the table-
you make it- you eat it. 4 year olds love to experiment, this helps keep them in line.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2006 :  9:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Best Foods Mayo is the only Mayo worth buying. If the store is out i go with out.
I am not big on sour cream but i have to have cottage cheese on my homemade tacos
flour taco sheels are the only way to go.
The orange chedder cheese has to be melted on the taco shell in a pan so the shell is a little toasted.
I must must must have cream cheese to mix into my spagetti and the spagetti sauce is always homemade with WHOLE black olives.
Fryed chicken must be accompanied by mashed potatoes and green peas with homemade gravy. All mixed together is the best.
Previous poster is right faked mashed potatoes are just wrong.
The first "glunk" of milk is always the best.
I just relized that all of my food rules came from the stuff that my mom did growing up.

This is not a food rule but a kitchen pet peave. the oven is not a place to store dishes. Dear other half thinksit is and i alway turn on the stove to preheat and end up having to figure out were to put at lest one hot pan before i can put dinner in the oven.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2006 :  10:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
In my world grilled cheese sandwichs are made with mayo on the out side not butter.
Seafood from a resturant or store is just wrong. You want me to pay HOW MUCH for a tiny fillet of salmon that someone on the east coast put red dye #5 into not a chance. (my dad is a commercial fisherman)
coffee must be made in a coffee cone and new grounds put in after each cup so coffee is very strong.
coffee must have milk not cream and honey ( i know i am weird)
black tea must be drank with milk and honey in it ( grandma was from england)
grilled cheese sandwiches and cream a mushroom soup are the best.
Only real butter even my dog who gets her pills in butter hates that fake stuff. she wrinkles her nose
mustard is the best
dill pickles and relish are the best. non of the sweet stuff Yuck

ok i think that is it for now

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2006 :  09:57:51 AM  Show Profile
Allison -- I am a total snob too when it comes to my pop. I can drink Coke if it has ice in it, like at a drive through. But other than that it's Pepsi all the way. And no aluminum cans for me, thank you. It has to be from a bottle -- although I wish you could still get it in glass bottles. That was when it was really good!

I love toasted cheese with any kind of soup. I love mushroom soup!

Made cinnamon/sugar toast for my daughter yesterday with real butter. She actually turned her nose up at it! I keep a tub of margarine (YUK) because that's what my husband likes. This AM Stephanie asked for toast made with margarine, not real butter. That's sick!

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2006 :  1:45:09 PM  Show Profile
Barqs rootbeer is the best rootbeer because it isn't as icky sweet as A&W or Mug.
I love tomato soup made with MILK! YUM!
I agree with the statment about vegetable soup to go with grilled cheese. I love that together too.

I had thought of another weird thing. This drives my husband up the wall but MANY times a year I would be thrilled to just eat a bowl of cereal for dinner and that's it. He can't stand just doing that. It's totally nonsensical to him.

I discovered a yummy combo yesterday. I had cooked some frozen broccoli in the microwave and we also had salad. I put ranch dressing and Italian dressing together on my cooked broccoli and that was really good!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - May 01 2006 :  05:54:54 AM  Show Profile
Grilled cheese sandwhich has to have mayo on all four sides and must include tomato-grilled cheese and tomato sandwhich. YUM! I guess that's my version of the tomato soup.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - May 01 2006 :  3:09:52 PM  Show Profile
Valerie...I'm so happy you like cream of mushroom soup with your grilled cheese sandwiches too. I thought I was the only one!

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 01 2006 :  3:59:12 PM  Show Profile
I love grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. Have to dunk the sandwich in the soup, of course. I put peanut butter on my whole wheat english muffins in the a.m. Love lobster, especially the new england lobster rolls on the toasted rectangular buns. Love turkey with lots of gravy and I mix my corn in with the mashed potatoes too.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  08:53:54 AM  Show Profile
Peanut butter and Frito sandwiches...the salt and the crunch of the Fritos really makes the sandwich. My Mom thought I was nuts, now she's hooked. I've been eating those since grade school and learned that you have to pack the Fritos in a baggie seperate and add them to the sandwich when you're ready to eat it or the Fritos get soggy and there goes your crunch! Still love "ants on a log" from my Girl Scout days...had some two days ago. That's celery, peanut butter, and raisins. Yummy...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  10:27:30 AM  Show Profile
I can't tell you how good a peanut butter and frito sandwich sounds. We used to try all sorts of things in our peanut butter sanwiches and bacon or fritos (or both even better) was my favorite. I havn't had one in years. Now to get some fritos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Meaningless Food Rules Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page