Page: of 3

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  04:56:55 AM  Show Profile
Do you have any food rules? Nancy made me think of this below. I posted a recipe for honey butter, and she said she'd try it on some muffins. I thought,muffins? I'd never put it on muffins; it goes on toast and English muffins. But then I realized my hubby would put it on muffins; so I realized I had a Meaningless Food Rule.

Do you allow your food to touch on your plate? Do you eat something special on New Year's Day for luck? Is peanut butter NOT for breakfast? Do you have any food rules?

Can you eat Ben and Jerry's straight from the carton, or does it have to be in a dish? Does a sandwich always require chips? A steak always require a baked potato? Are there certain Untouchable cheeses? Can you eat a tomato while you stand in the garden, or do you have to wash it first? Does steak require potato? Do you refuse anything with artificial sweeteners? Do you need popcorn with a movie, or it just isn't right?

Let's hear them! What are your food rules?

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  05:30:50 AM  Show Profile
Funny you mention this, I'd been thinking about one of mine lately. I refuse to buy any kind of jelly or jam that isn't sweetened by 100% fruit juice, in other words, I avoid the kind with high fructose corn syrup......

And yet, I eat ketchup like it's going out of style whenever I get fries or tator tots. Hmmm. It hit me the other day, what is my problem? Why am I not consistent?

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  05:51:54 AM  Show Profile
I have this habit of of mixing all the foods on my plate into one food. Before you get grossed out let me clarify that this does not pertain to all foods. Some things just don't mix. One of my biggest ones is mixing my corn with my mashed potatoes and when I ate meat I used to pile the potatoes/corn onto the meat-like meatloaf or a burger. Hubby is now mixing his corn and potatoes together. But here's my food rule dilemma-he does it in restaurants. In restaurants I'll usually just dip my potato thats on my fork into the corn but he just plain mixes them before he'll eat it. I'm not sure how this is viewed by other diners. Granted, I'm just now getting him to put his napkin on his lap so I doubt I'll be able to discourage him on the other. Oh, well, hopefully we won't see anyone we know.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  06:01:11 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca
We are trying to avoid high fructose corn syrup and tras fats.
I just found a ketchup with no corn syrup. Check for either low carb ketcup or organic
As for other rules we will eat eggs for supper and peanut butter for breakfast what ever we have time for and the kids will eat!
Major breakthrough in my house My kids will now eat asparagus and brocolli ( they like it plain) and if anyone covers something besides the typical hamburgers and fries with ketcup and I cooked it hurts my feelings!

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  07:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
My rules are:
Ice cream has to be in a tea cup. That way I wont eat too much. LACTOSE INTOLERANCE!!!
Peanut butter - never - unless its in a cookie
I don't eat anything that hasnt been washed.
I eat raw peas.
I eat raw eggs. I know, I know. Not a great idea. But let me clarify. I eat whipped raw eggs. Whip the egg whites, beat in the yolks, add some vanilla and brown sugar. Still sounds gross when you think about it. It was just something my parents did. Havent done it for AGES.
The only corn I eat is popcorn - all other corn HATES me.
I only eat catsup on a hot dog...a turkey hotdog. And certainly not on fries...yuck.
I prefer baked yams over regular baked potatoes - no one else in my family will touch a yam. Weirdos.
I seldom eat bacon but if I do it has to be very friendly (crisp)!
I am a HUGE fan of oatmeal...undercooked and ONLY the old fashioned kind that resembles horse feed. And only after lunch...no breakfast oats for me.
I do NOT eat dried beans of any sort. They hate me as much as corn does.

Hubby has texture issues. Nothing mumbly. Or gooey. No puddings, gelatins, oatmeal, creamed cereal. But he can eat his weight in mashed potatoes. Go figure.

We all eat LOTS of raw veggies.

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  08:23:56 AM  Show Profile
"Old food" which is what I heard someone call leftovers and packaged foods once. I've come to see there's something preferable about fresh foods over stored foods. We buy only fresh baked breads, fresh fruit and veggies, cheese and meat. Almost nothing I buy is packaged. Our cupboards are usually "bare" because there's nothing much to put in them. I don't like to have a bunch of cans and boxes. I shop every three days or so and get enough fresh food to last three days.

The weird things is: we spend about half as much on food now and we eat better than ever.

Basically if it's not a real food, I don't buy it. Rice and sugar are the main exceptions I can think of (as they have to be packaged).

Junk Food Disclaimer: That doesn't mean I don't love things that aren't technically "food". Give me a hot dog, chips, and a Coke any day! But I tend to buy those while I'm out. I just don't keep them around the house.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  08:56:22 AM  Show Profile
Great topic!!! Here are my food "rules":

Always mix corn or peas with mashed potatoes.
Must have mashed potatoes with sauerkraut and sausage.
Have to have cottage cheese with spaghetti or pizza -- along with a tall glass of milk.
New Year's Day -- ham, beans, and cornbread.
Ketchup only with french fries and the fries have to be eaten with a fork.
No messy food such as ribs -- don't like the mess on my lips and hands.
Coffee has to be the first cup out of a freshly made pot. And I have to have my hazlenut creamer.
Don't eat leftovers much -- leave those for hubby.
No artificial sweetners in anything!
Movie without popcorn? No way!

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Apr 25 2006 08:57:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  09:31:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by therusticcottage

No messy food such as ribs -- don't like the mess on my lips and hands.

That's just sad!!! I rank ribs up there with luxury in life. In fact, when my hubby & I are having a romantic evening in, ribs are a definite must!

Okay, I just thought of some more--
I think that any food is okay for breakfast (anything that won't eat me first--including ribs, potato salad, etc)
I LOVE cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, turkey, gravy & dressing on a roll (like a sandwich) at Thanksgiving! HEAVEN!
Milk goes with pizza regardless of what my husband thinks of it!
I would rather have baked bean goop on my grilled burger than any other condiment. Yum!
I usually eat cottage cheese with crushed up barbeque chips in it. Don't laugh, it's really good.
My sister and I like tostidos-like-chips dipped in plain sour cream.
A slice of cheddar is the perfect accompaniment for a raw apple.
I love mustard on corn dogs--which reminds me of something my son said when he was about 3 or 4 years old: "God gave man a brain so that man could make corn dogs." LOL!
My husband has influenced me over the years that chicken fried chicken is much better than chicken fried steak.
Hellmans is preferable to any other kind of mayo, and Miracle Whip is like flavored vaseline--fake & artificial.
All holiday meals must have a relish tray.

"I prefer baked yams over regular baked potatoes - no one else in my family will touch a yam. Weirdos." This is cracking me up! I love yams too and no one else really likes them but me around here either. Oh they are so good!
My children are right there with you on the oatmeal, except for they would eat it 24/7. They don't like it processed either and prefer it with nothing more than a little bit of milk to cool it.

They just ran an article in the Daily Oklahoman about Okie food preferences. I can boil it down (pardon the accidental pun) to the essentials--must have gravy, deep fried food is always good, jelly on cornbread is awesome, ketchup is a vital part of beans & cornbread. Many people (not me) like cornbread crumbled up in their glass of milk & eat it with a spoon.

Finally one more rule that's mine---NEVER make fake mashed potatoes, that's just wrong and against nature. Make it real or do without. And I make them with real butter and full-fat sour cream, so there!

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  09:38:02 AM  Show Profile
my family & I love eating a meal that is "supposed" to be eaten at a different time like breakfast for dinner, dinner for breakfast. We do it a few times a year, breaks up the boring meal thing. We plan it together the day before. Weird, I know but fun.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  10:20:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
Oh, corn mixed in mashed potatoes, so yummy! but i have learned even though all of my family does this, you can only mix your own, i can't mix before it hits the table. my husband makes it a big deal, first potatoes, then sweet corn, the colby cheese then he reheats it so it all melts together!
We dont have much ketchup around, i forget to but it, now i can it, and forget it is in the basement...so my kids put ranch dressing on the nastiest things. Can you imagine stir fry with ranch... that is just bad. but the rule is youeat what i choose to cook, hubby says let the kid (just one starts it) fix it her way, but she must eat it!

-Tami
now ladybugsmom7, the newest farm girl Danielle elizabethwas born March23, Danielle Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  10:45:27 AM  Show Profile
I have meaningless food rules all over the place.
I havn't heard this one yet...you MUST have salt on watermelon and cantelope and grapefruit. My kids all do it now too. I grew up eating it this way..husband thinks it is weird. (this from a man who LIKES liverwurst!!!)
peas and mashed potatoes for sure mixed up!
When you have pork you MUST have applesauce (home canned)
sour cream with ANY mexican food
we don't use much ketchup but I bet I eat my weight in mustard every year..and that is ALOT!
We have breakfast for supper about twice a month...the kids love it!
I am the only baked yam eater in my family..but I hate candied yams and the rest all love them!!
Yes, steak must have a baked potato.
Ham on Easter, Black eyed peas and greens on New Years, turkey on thanksgiving AND Christmas day, tamales on Christmas eve, Beanies and Halloweenies on Halloween, hot dogs and homemade rootbeer on the 4th of July, and when my side of the family barbques anything we always have barb qued sweetbreads for an appetizer. Everyone loves them before they find out what it is (a gland..ugh!) and then it is too late to go back....
Big family get togethers not on a big holiday at our house are usually Enchiladas or a barbque..with a huge green salad with everything.
I will eat stuff not washed from my own garden but from no where else.
No mayo, miracle whip or like that....yuck!
no hot tuna. It is supposed to be cold.
I love cottage cheese with tomatoes and cukes but not with fruit. lots of salt and pepper too.
sharp cheddar cheese and granny smith apples are made for each other.
We LOVE ovaltine..but mostly drink it cold.
NO artificial sweeteners..I can't get the icky taste out of my mouth all day if I drink any.
I drink more water than most people..and so do all my kids...husband, on the other hand drinks gallons of Dr. Pepper..which I like for an occasional treat..but not more than once a week ...usually longer ..that is a rule. The kids never get soda but get lemonade or homemade rootbeer on special occasions. They drink water and milk and oj mostly.
No messy foods in public. I LOVE ribs..but only at my house

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  12:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
My sister's and I used to fight over "the gunks"...the first few gulps of milk, freshly opened (You know how the first time you pour it goes "gunk, gunk, gunk"? ..and then never again. Yeah, that used to be a big deal in my house. I think that pretty much set the pace for my food rules most of my life. Luckily, it translated into "fresh is better" in my adulthood. Somehow though, I am still able to be very creative with leftovers & enjoy them. I don't really have any other food rules that can be considered rules, they are just preferences. Avacados make everything better. Goat cheese makes the world go round. Etc

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  12:43:40 PM  Show Profile
I have plenty of weird food favorites, but I can only think of a few rules in my household.

My husband has to have a beer with his pizza, and I have to have a Coke (not Pepsi). It just doesn't taste right otherwise.

When we go to the China Buffet, everything must be eaten with chopsticks. Even the ice cream. This was my husband's rule, but I'm coming around to it.

In the spring, we must get local strawberries. In the fall, we must get apples. I can't bear to let the seasons go by without getting in on the archetypal fruit.

We only buy ice cream in the pint size or smaller. If it's in the house, we will eat it til it's gone.
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  12:57:09 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

I havn't heard this one yet...you MUST have salt on watermelon and cantelope and grapefruit. My kids all do it now too. I grew up eating it this way..husband thinks it is weird. (this from a man who LIKES liverwurst!!!)

My dad always had salt on watermelon and apples and cheese.
Apple pie is good with a hunk of cheddar to go with it.
My mother eats pickleloaf! NASTY!
I think that my dad's side of the family must be the only people who put sugar on their tomatoes. gag!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  3:16:18 PM  Show Profile
Jenny -- forgot about the salt on watermelon and canteloupe! YUM! Hellmann's Mayo out west is called Best Foods and it is the only kind that I will buy.

Another yummy one is a bologna sandwich with Lay's chips on the bologna -- mustard too.

Rebecca -- my dad put sugar on his tomatoes and cottage cheese - YUK!

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  3:25:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
[i]

Rebecca -- my dad put sugar on his tomatoes and cottage cheese - YUK!

Not a bad idea! Sugar counteracts the acidity in tomatoes, Many good cooks add a little sugar to tomato sauces for this reason. Before I realized why I did it, I always puts some BROWN sugar in my spaghetti sauces and chili. I really miss the "depth" of flavor it seems to add.

One of the most wonderful dishes I've ever had was "Stewed Tomatoes" as served at a now-defunct restaurant in Baltimore that specialized in plain German food. The tomatoes were over-the-top sweet. I've never been able to quite duplicate the texture and flavor of this dish. I wonder if any of our Midwest farmgirls (of German extraction) might have an old family recipe to share. Hmmm?
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  3:55:55 PM  Show Profile
I eat hot dogs the same way my grandfather did- with mustard and celery salt on an untoasted bun. It is the only way to eat them!!
I also mix my mashed potatoes and corn. Thank you for affirming my position ladies! I can now show proof to my children that I am not as wierd as they think I am!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  4:06:23 PM  Show Profile
Great topic! I will not, absolutely under ANY circumstances, eat leftovers. Yuck yuck yuck. Makes me shudder just thinking about it. :)

My blog: mycountryhome.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  05:25:34 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone else like spaghetti sandwiches? My mom said I got that one from my grandmother but I don't remember. I do know I'm the only one in my family that does it. I think it originally may have started with leftovers but now I sometimes make the spaghetti just so I can have a sandwich. You have to have the bread buttered so the hot food melts it-yummy. Now I use soy butter but it still works.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  09:45:40 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Destiny~

Does anyone else like spaghetti sandwiches?

I usually take my roll (unbuttered) and open it and put spaghetti on it and eat it like that. It's pretty good. The tougher the roll the better.

Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  3:02:32 PM  Show Profile
My food rules are few, but I take them quite seriously...

* Ketchup only goes on a grilled cheese sandwich. I eat my fries with mayo.
* If I'm having a baked ham, there must be scalloped potatoes.
* Toast with peanut butter and bacon is tasty (honest)
* No pop in our house, and chips are only for road trips.
* Potato salad can be eaten no earlier than Victoria Day (the week before Memorial Day)
* Cream corn goes with mashed potatoes (as most of you have already mentioned!)
* I don't eat chicken wings. Too much work for such little food.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  3:56:49 PM  Show Profile
My food rules.
NO EGGS ever.( Allergic)
I hate processed meats.No bologna,hot dogs, Ham,Deli Turkey( what is that jelli stuff anyway)
Love seafood of any kind.
No Old corn on the cob( it has to be picked fresh at the farmers market)Difinately not from a grocery store.
No artificial sweetners ( they make me blow up like a ballon)
I wash all veggies and meats.( I have seen the power saw the butcher uses to cut the beef up)I am afraid of bone chips.
I love salt and pepper on cottage cheese and will only eat with veggies not fruit.
No salt( or very little) I blow up with too much.
Can't get enough chocolate.
No beets.To me they taste like dirt.
Oatmeal has to be the old fashion kind with butter, sugar and milk.
I didn't really think I had many food rules until I typed them all out.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  5:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Black pepper on pineapple.
Chocolate is a food group.
Cottage cheese with pickled beets or grated carrots and sunflower seeds.
Bread and grains must be organic (after seeing a chemical bill from a wheat farmer..good gawd).
Love all produce except parsnips (yik!) and is all organic whenever possible.
Butter, never margarine (I trust a cow before a scientist).
Love most ethnic foods, ie. Greek, Mexican, etc.
Sour cream mixed with the salsa for nachos (looks grim but tastes great!).
Can't believe people really eat olives...I figure they must smell and taste different to other folks than they do to me!
No deli or luncheon meats.
Oatmeal with chopped apples and cinnamon.

I feel giant food companies should be sued for what they sell to consumers labeled as food and that fruit-flavored drink boxes and breakfast cereal with chocolate & marshmallows should, by law, be made to be shelved in a non-food section of grocery stores. Ok, off my soap box!

D

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - DaisyFarm on Apr 26 2006 10:18:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  7:46:13 PM  Show Profile
Coke, not Pepsi
eat first the thing I like least on the plate
don't mix the foods on the plate (if I had wanted it mixed, I'd have put it in a casserole dish)
nothing on the steak, except maybe salt, and it should be bloody rare
McDonald's french fries are the only fries worth eating
breads are only a vehicle for whatever goo I want to eat
chocolate is a food
you can't say yuck at the table but if you tell me it's not your favorite, I won't make it again

the next two are from me and my daughter both:
licking the plate is a sign of a sensual person who knows how to enjoy life
who needs a knife when you can just stab the meat with a fork and gnaw off that?

(my husband hates the last 2)
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  8:49:32 PM  Show Profile
Allison -- no way!! Pepsi, not Coke!!!

Pork Chops -- gotta pick them up with your hands and chew the meat next to the bone. Guess that breaks my rule for no messy foods!

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2006 :  10:04:46 PM  Show Profile
butter and brown sugar on oatmeal..and cream!!!
never margerine..ONLY butter

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Meaningless Food Rules Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page