Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Best way to line dry clothes on rainy days....?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Best way to line dry clothes on rainy days....? Next Topic  

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  09:14:43 AM  Show Profile
Spring is usually soggy here in Washington. I have one wooden clothes rack that I could bring indoors for drying clothes but it seems like it would take forever for them to dry and I wouldn't be able to finish my laundry in any reasonable time frame. Any other ideas? I'm trying to cut down on my dryer use.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  1:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly, I just hang my pants and shirts up on the shower curtain rod. I usually hang them in the evening and by morning they are all dry. When we lived next door in our little house I strung clothes line rope all around the walls and hung them that way. They will dry overnight in the winter with the heaters on. If you have a spare room you could do that. HAng them up and shut the door.

I use the wooden dryer for socks and undies and wash clothes.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Mar 21 2010 1:16:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  2:09:39 PM  Show Profile
where ever you hang them, have a ocolating (sp?) fan going on low, the air movement will shorten drying time, I do not own a dryer, so I have come up with some pretty good ways to dry in the winter , extremly windy or wet weather. I have line on my porch, I have a retractable line in my bath/mud/laundry room, also have used the garage with lines up also.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

birdie71
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Robin
Glendale Arizona
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  2:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Send birdie71 a Yahoo! Message
We have ceiling fans in our house here in Glendale and use them during those wet and windy days!

Robin

Farmgirl #1301
Farming in the Sonoran Desert? Hmmm?!
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  06:33:52 AM  Show Profile
I found hanging the shirts and pants on hangers works better than a drying rack. As Kris suggested use your shower rod to spread them out leaving some air space. No dryer here either and most things are dry the next morning. Underclothes over the rack may need to be turned once if you want them to dry evenly.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  03:00:33 AM  Show Profile
When I was in nursing school, my dryer quit and I couldn't affford a new one. I would wash one or two loads of clothes {I have 7 children),hang them on the clothesline if sunny and in the winter, I had lines strung all across the biggest bedroom over my sleeping kids heads! Also, I hung a lot of things on hangers. Never had a drying rack, but would have liked to had one, Guess what I bought first with my first paycheck. Kids are grown now. I always said you can hand wash clothes and tie strips of rags together to make a clothesline if needed. Kids don't need to be ratty looking. There are too many yard sales and thrift stores and anything can be a washcloth.
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  12:24:27 PM  Show Profile
I've hung them up on hangers and put them on my shower rod. I also have a retractable clothes line which I love on my screened in back porch with a ceiling fan and this speeds things up on a rainy day.
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  11:30:01 AM  Show Profile
Like katalind, I hang whatever I can on hangers then put them on the shower rod. For larger items (towels, sheets), I have a retractable clothes line that runs through my kitchen & back hallway. Company has never noticed the hook stuck into the kitchen wall for the retractable & it's been there for years. I just make sure I'm not trying to dry clothes in the kitchen when company's expected. :)

Lyn
Rural Mid-Michigan
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  4:00:35 PM  Show Profile
I have a length of plastic chain I attach to two hooks from the rafters in the basement. A hanger in each hole of the chain is perfect for keeping air flowing through the clothes and I can move it outside so I don't have to handle my laundry so much. I hate flipping loads, carrying it out, hanging it on the line only to have to hang it again on a hanger. I used to use a length of old dog chain, but as the size of our loads grew we needed more hanging space. I do the oscillating fan thing too. Sometimes I'll put a strip of a fabric softener sheet against the back of the fan and my whole basement smells like fresh laundry.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  5:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Great Tips Ladies! You have renewed my commitment to get some form of Laundry line up! I am sick and tired of using my dryer!! I love the way line dried clothes smell! I don't even mind windy days as long as the wind isn't gritty. In fact when I have a line I look for windy days to hang our towels since it takes some of the stiffness out.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Best way to line dry clothes on rainy days....? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page