Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  09:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When I posed the idea to my husband that I wanted to build a Straw-Bale house instead of using traditional construction he balked at the idea. We had several big discussions about it and he always seemed negative about it.

Last night just as I was falling asleep he HAD to come down and talk to me about an article he just read. He read that right now the mortgage companies haven't truly caught up to the alternative methods of construction and because the housing market isn't moving as quickly as it was a couple of years ago- the alternative building methods aren't getting the same appraisal value as a stick-built house.

I was confused. Why were we discussing this article when he didn't want to build straw bale anyway?

It turns out that he LOVES the straw bale idea, he just wants to make sure we are on our permanent location before we put money into it! Awesome! That totally made my day!!

We are going to buy house/land in the next 3 years but we might have to compromise and buy a smaller parcel than we will need in the future, so eventually once we are able to buy the right amount of land and we know we will be staying there for forever we are going to build my dream home!! YAY!!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  09:46:21 AM  Show Profile
Those straw bale constructions seem really interesting to me! I hope when you all do it you'll post lots of photos. Good luck to you all!

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  09:49:53 AM  Show Profile
Keeping my fingers crossed that all of your wonderful dreams come true!

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  12:25:56 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I have a friend who has a straw bale barn and house. I love the barn. It is so cozy and warm. Well, so is the house but I am partial to barns! And the other people that live on the same property are building a straw bale house. It's 2 stories. Very cute. They are doing it themselves so it takes longer. I'm going over there in the next few weeks. I'll take pictures for you.

I want to start a barn. Some day.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  1:32:18 PM  Show Profile
There's always hope:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  2:28:14 PM  Show Profile
Alee, my DH says that if you would have made it sound like it was your DH's idea, he would have bought into it right away, LOL!

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wow! A break through! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page