Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Any Kansas girls out there?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any Kansas girls out there? Next Topic  

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  10:16:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I am new to the forum and new to the Wichita area. Just wondering if there are farmgirls close by. Let me know some of your favorite places to visit, craft places, farms to visit, etc. Hope to hear from some of you! THANKS

Janneane Hazlip
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Janneane
Fort Scott Kansas
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  12:48:30 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Linda;
I live in Fort Scott, about 3 hours from you. If you like antiques and quaint shops Fort Scott is a good place to visit and of course there is the Fort and National Cemetary #1 here so, we are just a day-trip away. Janneane
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  3:18:42 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm from Lawrence and miss it terribly, but alas..I'm in Seattle now. Nice to meet you though! :)

http://www.LilBitCrunchy.blogspot.com

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
-Anais Nin
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  3:32:17 PM  Show Profile
I lived in Kansas from 1984- 1991! Mostly Lawrence (KU grad) and then KC, MO..went to UMKC and worked in Leavenworth for a few years. LOVED LOVED LOVED Kansas and miss Lawrence like crazy!! Emme, I'm fascinated..I moved from KS to Seattle and have now Seattle in Spokane on a small farm...What you doin' in Seattle????..ok and the "lilbitcrunchy" blog makes me smile SO huge..have got to go check that out!!!!
Prayin' Granny...great to meet you!! I have family in Coffeyville (in-laws) and in Kansas City still...Don't get there often enough...

Welcome..sending cheer! ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  6:30:04 PM  Show Profile
Julia! How cool! I actually grew up in Lawrence for the most part, and graduated from KU in 94, then I got the travel bug, and ended up in Seattle, met my husband, and the rest is history. Now we've got 4 kiddos (ages 3-10), and we have 2 acres out in Carnation, about 40 minutes east of the city. My folks still live in Lawrence so I get back once a year or so, and I love it so. Its a really special place! Would love to meet you sometime! :)

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
-Anais Nin
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  10:15:56 AM  Show Profile
Emme..ok talk about BLAST from the past!

Check this out: I lived in Ellsworth dorm going to college. Then I moved to New Hampshire street..can't remember the # cross street now but it was where the OLD (original) Waxman candle store used to be on Massachusetts, right across the street from a really cool brick elementary school. Then I moved to Rhode Island street just next to the part and police station. I was married in the gazebo in that park..south park?? I can't remember the name..had my reception at the Castle Tea Room...all on Massachusetts just before you hit the stores to downtown...AMAZING to think back all those years. I have SO many fond memories!!! I still buy candles from the Waxman..in fact, I only buy candles from him...I love the FreeState brewery too. yum!!! Let me know the next time you head to Lawrence...I may just have to jump in your suitcase!!

If EVER you are out east..PLEASE come on over...I can't guarantee peace, quiet and gentility...but I can guarantee managed chaos and mischief, noise laughter and something crazy happening!! Such is life in a circus!!!

Loads of cheer your way! ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  3:14:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh my heavens! Julia, I lived in Ellsworth too. Room 940. What years were you there?? Yes, yes, I know all about everything you are talking about..the gazebo (Remember Art in the Park?) I was just there for 2 weeks in August, and I did bring home a boat load of Waxman candles in my suitcase! Thank goodness they ship now! And oh yes, Free State...Ah, the memories. *sigh* Downtown has changed some, just expanding to the street just east behind Mass, can't remember the name... Lawrence is a little slice of heaven. I'm dying to move back. When we've come over to MJF, I thought Moscow really reminded me of it, don't you think? Not sure if we're coming over this year or not, but I think we should really try to get together, don't you? Sorry for hijacking your thread prayin granny, I hope you find some local farmgirls! Julia, please email me, I think you may be my new best friend! :)

-Anais Nin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  3:15:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I just saw you said what years you were there. Well, we were there at the same time, just not at KU! :)

-Anais Nin
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  2:02:27 PM  Show Profile
Will check out some of these areas. I am slowly getting adjusted. Have never lived with 4 seasons before. It has been a cold winter!! I love some of the small shops here, and the ease of larger ones as well!
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  7:57:06 PM  Show Profile
Linda,
I've been wondering the same thing, are there any other farm girls in Kansas. And the answer is yes, I'm Lulu/Connie Shelton
and I live in Geuda Springs Ks just about 60 miles south of Wichita.

LULU

Take care and write soon.
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  05:54:46 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I came across another topic "New from Kansas" go to General Chat forum then to Welcome Wagon and to "New from Kansas". I think I got that right, anyway KanMo girl is there and looking for other Kansas girls.
Connie

LULU

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  1:50:53 PM  Show Profile
Connie, posted on that!! There are a couple others in Hutch out here. Maybe we can all meet when the weather gets nicer?

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  7:06:35 PM  Show Profile
Linda, That sounds like a good idea.

LULU

When you wish upon a star...Jiminy Cricket
Go to Top of Page

rharbert1
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Veronica
Pittsburg KS
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  06:17:13 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kansas girls I'm new to MJ and I live in Pittsburg. Hi! I can vouch that Ft. Scott downtown is a quaint place to shop. Don't forget the Iron Star - my fav!
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  3:14:27 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to our group. Have you checked out the new to Kansasforum? I think our count is up to 7 with two more in Hutchinson. Maybe we can all get together sometime. Connie

LULU

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  08:39:33 AM  Show Profile
New in Wichita. Not sure where Pittsburg, Ks??

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  12:51:49 PM  Show Profile
Linda, Pittsburg, KS is in the southeast corner of Kansas. Look at a map of Kansas and go straight east of Wichita and a little south.
Connie

LULU

Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  3:53:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kansas Girls!
I grew up in Kansas in a little farming community just south-west of Salina. I also went to Pitt-State for 1 semester..."Go gorillas!" Ha! So funny!
Anyway, Linda, you have to go to Lindsborg which is 70 miles north of you. This is where our family did everything (church, school....). It's a Swedish community with lots of charm! I miss it dearly! I live in MN now!

Are any of you ladies doing the Laura Ingalls Wilder~Farmgirls on the Loose trip? I think it's going to be loads of fun! Check it out under Chapter Chatter.

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any Kansas girls out there? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page