Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 building a wood burning water boiler
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic building a wood burning water boiler Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  06:12:38 AM  Show Profile
Our straw provider's son, showed us his homemade wood boiler. It's outside in a shed, it burns wood, boils the water and heats it for the house. We may plan to have his help in building one of our own to heating water via wood outide. It was pretty cool to see. Some day we'll have more $$.

I also shared a solar built one to my hubby that is in the Mother Earth News magazine. Very inspiring and motivating.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  09:55:33 AM  Show Profile
Kristina: My husband built our own wood boiler and we got it for free save some welding supplies and a few parts like hinges for the doors. It was super efficient and we would love to be using it right now but we are renting in a new place and it's on propane. Later this year/next year when we move again (hopefully this time out west finally!) we are going to bring it with us because it's so efficient. In order to make it even more efficient we built a wood shed, costing us around $250 since we just bought the lumber brand new. If we had more time we probably could have gotten scrap lumber from construction companies with scraps they would just throw out. It heated the shed really nice too from the radiant heat from the water. I put my bunnies in there too because last winter was so awful. The only thing I missed about having a boiler is we didn't need to heat with the wood stove inside the house, sure it eliminated the wood mess but there is just something about having a lingering smell of an inside wood stove that just is so much more warming on a snowy winter day!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic building a wood burning water boiler Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page