Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 home-made laurdry det. in energy eff. washer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic home-made laurdry det. in energy eff. washer Next Topic  

laurloy
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

laur
slc ut
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  10:43:07 AM  Show Profile
I make my own laundry detergent from MaryJane's recipe and I've made my own wool dryer balls from MaryJane's instructions. I have great success with both! My question is this: I will buying a new washer/dryer soon and they recommend the "he" detergent for the energy efficient machines. The salesman didn't know what to tell me about the home-made detergent, but raved about the dryer balls being better than dryer sheets. (Ingredients for the detergent are Boraxo Hand soap, Borax, and Arm & Hammer laundry soda.)

Edited by - laurloy on Mar 19 2010 11:22:23 AM

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  11:05:56 AM  Show Profile
Laur
you should be fine. I have an HE washer (front loader) & use homemade. THe reason they recommend HE detergents is because other store bought detergents create many suds. Homemade hardly suds at all, so you will be ok.
Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  09:25:14 AM  Show Profile
I agree - we have he washer (front loader) and have no problem using home-made soap.
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  10:25:34 AM  Show Profile
I also have a front loader and the only difference I found is that liquid/gel homemade works better than powdered because of the very little water used. I find it dissolves better, especially on cold washes. I used to make powdered, but found sometimes there was leftover powder in the cup after the wash. Now I use the Duggar family's liquid recipe and I love it!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  11:58:59 AM  Show Profile
I have an HE front loader and have used MJ's recipes for liquid and powder homemade detergent. I haven't had any problems with either one.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic home-made laurdry det. in energy eff. washer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page