Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 It's so quiet and peaceful out here
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic It's so quiet and peaceful out here Next Topic
Page: of 2

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  5:26:45 PM  Show Profile
I was just outside planting some cabbage and brocolli (?) with Kansas. We picked lots of nice juicy new grass for crazy Mazie. We looked at all the apple and pear trees starting to bud out. Then she had to go in and get ready for bed.

I went out a little later and planted some spinach and lettuce in one of the raised beds. All the chickens were getting ready for bed. The goats are all happy with their new kids. It was just becoming twilight and it was just beautiful and quiet and peaceful. The sky is beautiful. It's just right weather wise. Perfect evening. I love it out here in the "outback". All's right in my little piece of the world. I am so thankful for this place.

What's it like now in your neck of the woods?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  5:35:26 PM  Show Profile
Kris: What a wonderful description of a happy and full life! Your post was nice to read. I'd have to explain my house and surroundings the same way. Peaceful, but I have a dog and cats around me. Life is grand. Thanks for sharing your world with us.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  5:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
It is a very nice nite and day here as well. I understand the planting bug. Because we will be on the road most of the summer we will not do any planting but the dh still has the bug. This will be the first time in ocver 20 years we will not have a garden. It will do well for the soil to rest a while longer. Plant well with the thought that some can not or chose not. Take care Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  6:05:11 PM  Show Profile
I enjoyed pulling weeds this afternoon, or chicken salad as I have taken to calling it, and right in the garden with me was 8 chickens, 2 dogs and a cat. All just within arm's reach of me. I loved it. And tonight, when I shut the shickens in, I got there just as they were cooing "good night" to each other. It gives me a wonderful sense of well being.

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  7:16:55 PM  Show Profile
Nice description, Kris. I swear I could hear crickets while I read your post.

Today was a gorgeous day here, too. The morning started off with "milking" a new mom......not really milking, more like getting kicked and squirted. My teenagers and I played with all the baby goats and then later while I was holding one, she fell asleep in my arms. I didn't want to wake her so I had to take a nap, too! Ha Ha

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  7:28:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the post Kris - I can almost feel myself planting on a beautiful quiet night. It is still a little chilly here so will have to content myself with thoughts of nights to come
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  9:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
It was beautiful today! It was so spring like! It sounds like you had a wonderful day Kris!! I am very happy for you my friend!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  05:24:13 AM  Show Profile
We too enjoyed the beauty yesterday. We took a walk in the woods then I came back and sat on the porch and listened to the birds and crickets sing their night songs. Dylan my youngest went and perched himself in a tree and enjoyed the sliver of a moon. So all was well in our neck of the woods too. Aint spring grand? Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  06:49:11 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad everyone had a good day too. I just love to be able to live way out here in the middle of nowhere and be able to hear a cricket or a frog or the birds twittering. I swear sometimes I even hear the worms moving around. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful days with me.

Today is a totally different day. The tree trimmers for the power board are in the neighborhood. They are actually in my yard right this mibute trimming some of mine. I asked for a load of the mulchy stuff, too. But that is very noisy. And also a neighbor has a bulldozer doing work for the people up the road. I like the sound of bulldozers though. And tractors. So today is a bit noisy but it's ok. There's always the peaceful evenings now to look forward to.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  07:41:32 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I long for a day like that! Hopefully soon. My daughter and her 2 little ones are staying with us this week. I have run myself to death. I am getting ready to take Conner to the Dr.
I hope everyone has a great day!
I hope I will tomorrow.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  08:26:10 AM  Show Profile
Gean, I hope he gets better, poor kid. You need a rest, too. Maybe ya'll can go sit out under a tree some today. Get some fresh air and sunshine.

I love the sound of kids laughing and playing outside. I miss it when they are not all here. But Kansas makes up for it with her very loud voice. She is constantly talking or singing. I love it.

The tree guys are gone now. Back to normal here again. I am so ready for some more goat babies.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  09:08:44 AM  Show Profile
It's a beautiful day here as well. Sun is beaming. I sent the kids off to school and went for a run and now getting ready to go outside. Planting some annual seeds in the greenhouse and potting up some more perennials to sell at our annual plant sale in April. Still no seeds sprouting in my garden but it has only been five days. The birds are chirping away, and early this morning when I went outside, coffee in hand, about 6:30 am there were three momma mallards and a daddy mallard at the back of the property along the creek eating away. The dog didn't even chase them, which is a first. It has been a perfect morning. Enjoy your day everyone.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  10:40:36 AM  Show Profile
I have opened my windows!!!

Ingrid, sounds like you had a great morning. I wish you luck at your plant sale.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

MommaJ9
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Kimberly
Longview Washington
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  1:29:02 PM  Show Profile
I've opened mine too!

I spent yesterday cleaning flowerbeds, then last night enjoyed soaking in the hot tub under a clear sky filled with stars. The frogs were singing, the rooster was crowing (he's not a fan of daylight savings time), and I could hear the cows moving around. It was a perfectly perfect night.

Farmgirl #783
http://jabezfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  1:39:25 PM  Show Profile
Hopefully, we can get the lawn mower going, otherwise I have the old fashioned rotary mower to push around =)
We live up a small rise from a bend in a creek and in the spring and summer and even into autumn, we like to sit on our porch and listen to the water, the frogs and other night sounds...count the stars and look for falling "wish" stars =)

Thanks all for sharing, especially you Kris!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  5:24:03 PM  Show Profile
My little bit of heaven comes from watching the animals. Last night I introduced the mini to the rest of the equine herd and became totally stressed as one horse was very agressive towards her.

Today, a different story as we watched the horses peacefully exist together in the pasture. We all stood in the sun, soaked it up and gave each of them a good brushing and watched their heads drop lower and lower until something would jolt them awake. We plopped onto a hay pile and watched the springtime activity until a dog or two joined us and all took a little nap. We barely broke freezing but with the sun out we can fake spring pretty well.

Welcome Spring!

Penny
www.peafarm.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  5:26:50 PM  Show Profile
Annika, our lawnmower is broken. So I have been letting the goats out there to eat the nice new green grass. They love it. And it's cheap! The only thing is we have 3 really old apple trees that they love much better than the nice new green grass. So I have to be out there to make sure they stay away from them. I wish I could let the cows in the yard, too. How lucky you are to have a creek right by your porch. That sounds so nice and relaxing. I hope you get your mower fixed soon.

Kimberly, that sounds like a great evening. Wow. Lucky you. Is it that nice in Washington right now?

It's been another nice day here. Having goat babies. I was going to til in my garden but I can't get the little tiller cranked up. The rope is too tight. I need a man here! Oh well, it would have ruined the peacefulness anyway.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  7:09:00 PM  Show Profile
It's lovely reading all of your posts, especially the ones in the warmer parts of the country where you're enjoying spring weather and planting and enjoying new baby animals! I'll still have a couple months left of cold transition weather and won't be planting till about May. Did plant tomato and bell pepper seeds indoors this week, though! Pretty soon it will smell like plant life in my front sun porch!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  7:42:10 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, if you had been here today you would have seen some snow. And it's cold! It sounds like you have your garden plants started and they will be in the ground soon. I wanted to plant some potatoes, onions and peas Sat. but the tiller would not start. Then it rained all day Sunday and parts of today. It will get done. Just not now.

I hope you have a great spring.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

LBP
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Linda
Goodview VA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  05:16:13 AM  Show Profile
Fell alseep last night to the soothing sounds of the peepers "trilling"in the pond. I love to hear them.
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  11:55:20 AM  Show Profile
Ohhh I can't wait still very chilly here.

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  12:07:27 PM  Show Profile
GAH it's snowing again today.... :( ladies who are in lovely weather, keep posting your pretty descriptions! It may keep me warm and cozy with thoughts of spring!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

CynthiaT.
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Cynthia
Alpena Arkansas
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  4:06:03 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies! I'm new here. I just dropped in and was reading your posts. I'm sitting here watching the snow melt and the birds singing. I am doing some research to figure out what to do to make a living with our farm. I currently have an embroidery business that I'm about to close. I want to create products from our farm to sell. I'm wating to learn all that I can about raising cows, raising chickens, and gardening so that I can sell products from each. We own 160 acres in the Ozark Mountains in Northwest Arkansas. I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm trying to piece it all together to know where to start and what to offer.

Farmgirl # 852
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  8:59:32 PM  Show Profile
Linda, what are peepers? Ar ethey frogs? We have a pond in the middle of the field next door that's in the trees with cattails all over it. I can hear what I thought were frogs now. But is it? I love to hear them anyway, whatever they are. We have lots of frogs here. They love to lay their eggs out back near our bedroom. And when they jump up on the windows at night I want to kill them! But I like them across the field in the pond.

I hope all the snow and cold goes away so ya'll can enjoy the spring. We had a little snow here Monday morning. Thank goodness it didn't stay long. But the weather guys are saying we could get more next week.

Cynthia, welcome. I hope you can come up with some good ideas so you can make a living on your farm. And it's a big farm. Wow, 160 acres. I would love to have that many. We have 3 here. I have market gardens. I also have dairy goats. I would love to have a "real" dairy here. But right now I have to do it under the table. But I am a rebel so I don't mind. Just have to be very careful.

It was a beautiful day here. Had the last of the goat kids last night. So now we have 6 stinkin' bucklings. I am getting to hear the baaaaas of all those cute little boys calling for their mommas now. I love that sound. And they all look so cute playing on the rocks with the green grass in the background. So pretty. I love this time of year. All the new grass growing. I do not like the pollen that's all over right now though.

I hope ya'll had a great day.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  11:47:29 AM  Show Profile
Ha ha! I was wondering what peepers were, too! I was just too embarrassed to ask... thought I should know what they were.

Welcome Cynthia! It sounds like you have quite the endeavor on your hands, but a wonderful one! I wish you luck and hope someday I can have LOTS of land to work with, too. Don't hesitate to get on here and ask questions or just vent your frustrations... it's no fun to be overwhelmed! I've found it's the best thing to do sometimes, just get on here and ask the ladies what to do and they always deliver helpful advice!

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  12:12:26 PM  Show Profile
I put my 2 lawnmowers to work today. I let Mazie and Roxie out in the front yard to eat the tall green grass. Talk about some quiet mowers! They are great. Until they start tearing off chunks of the apple trees. Why in the world did the people that lived here before us put apple trees in the yard of all places! They had acres and acres to put apple trees and they plunk them in the front yard. And he had goats too. Maybe that's why there are only three trees now. So anyway i had to put them back out in their own pasture. Then I let the goat mommas out with the stinkin' cute little buck kids following them around. Too stinkin' cute. And they are so quiet too. Until a kid can't find momma.

So it's a nice peaceful day here. But that will all end in a few minutes when Kansas gets home!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic It's so quiet and peaceful out here Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page