Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 It's so quiet and peaceful out here
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic It's so quiet and peaceful out here Next Topic
Page: of 2

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  2:29:19 PM  Show Profile
Love reading all these posts. Our windows are open, too, and today I wore flip flops outside.....the flowers are in bloom. Got the darden in, but I will also miss the cozy nights by the fire.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  12:44:09 PM  Show Profile
Great post! I love hearing what all of you gals are doing, especially those of you in warmer climates.

It's 53 degrees out here and very windy!!! It is somewhat overcast. The Meadowlark was at his perch this morning (the cedar fence post) singing so I know that Spring IS on it's way. The Bluebirds have also moved back into their homes. Almost all of the snow is melted and the Rhubarb is starting to poke through the ground, just enough to tease me :) However, snow is in the forecast :(

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Mar 25 2010 12:45:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  06:21:59 AM  Show Profile
It was very noisy here last night. Thunder cracking all over. Lightening. Rain hitting the roof like rocks. But it didn't last long thank goodness. I do not like night time storms. I am so glad we live at the end of a valley. But I still have dreams of tornadoes getting in here.

Jeannie, you have your garden all planted already? I need to move to Florida. Wow. It's way too wet here to do much except raised beds right now. And I am having a hard time keeping chickens out of them. Even with wire over them. They still sneak in.

Sharon, my hubby has been to Denver twice last week. He said it was in the 60's while he was there. But on the way there were snow storms all over. My brother and sister live in Col. Springs. I have been twice. It's very big and way too busy for me. I hope your snow melts and you can see green soon. I want some rhubbard. I might try to find some this year. I have seen it at the feed store. I hope they get some again.

Everything is SO green here. I love it. The grass is growing really good in the other goat yard. I will put them up there in a few weeks and let the back grow.

Have a great day, ya'll.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  10:15:56 AM  Show Profile
Last night, as DH and I were doing some more work on our shed (boy, am I sore today!), I took a step outside in the early evening as the sunlight was fading... I think it was the first night that had that spring feeling in the air! The birds were chirping in the late evening, the sky was clear with a beautiful moon, and two huge formations of geese were flying North. It was wonderful to feel like spring is in the air!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

CynthiaT.
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Cynthia
Alpena Arkansas
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  10:52:02 AM  Show Profile
All the critters are outside chirping their sounds. I had forgotten how many different sounds there are in the spring time. The sound of the birds singing as they fly around says it's spring to me. Almost all of the snow has melted and has left lots of mud behind. I hate the mud! I can't wait until our house is finished being built so that I can get rid of the mud! Only about three to four more weeks before we get to move in!

We are supposed to be getting mid to high 50's for the next couple of days and then it's supposed to work it's way into the low to mid 70's! I can't wait!

I love our farm. We have been traveling for the past five years on the road for my husband's job. But I finally said enough is enough! The kids and I am home for good. And I couldn't be happier (unless my husband decided to stop pipelining and decided to come home for good, too.)

I am looking forward to getting my farm back up and running. About six years ago, I raised approximately 79 bottled fed baby goats. I had a blast doing it. But, I sold them all about four and a half years ago, right before my son was born. I have missed them since the day that I sold them. I can still hear them calling for me.... Those times really made me happy.

Well, I'm off to feed the clan some lunch.

Farmgirl sister # 852
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  07:45:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Cynthia! Your farm sounds wonderful! Isn't it nice to get back to what you love? Hopefully you can raise your goats again... sounds like so much fun! I pine for 70 degree weather, too! It's just about the perfect temperature....

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  10:50:36 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, what a beautiful description. I almost feel like I am there, too. Did you get the shed done yet? I sure can tell when I have worked on something.

Cynthia, I sure hope you get some more goats. But that's alot that you had before. Did you have a dairy? That's something I would love to have if I were rich. I just have 4 dairy goats right now.

My granddaughter and I sat outside last night right before it got totally dark. It was so nice. There was a gentle breeze blowing. The moon was shing through the bare trees. We could here the frogs in the pond. Then it got a little chilly so we went back inside.

It's been thundering here and raining off and on all day so far. And cool too.

I hope ya'll are having a nice country day.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  12:32:20 PM  Show Profile
Yep, we finished the shed... it feels so great to be done with it! It caused SO much stress last summer (took up way too much of our free time so I didn't have time to de-stress; plus DH being unsafe while working on it! almost falling off ladders, etc.) But it also feels so good to get outside and get some exercise by working....I can't wait to start garden work!

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  9:22:43 PM  Show Profile
It is not quiet and peaceful here tonight. There is an old abandoned farmhouse next to us across the field. I heard some strange noises and went outside to investigate. It's a whole bunch of apparently drunk young people, guys is really all I hear, hollering and yelling as loud as they can. I guess they're having a party. It was 11:oo pm when I heard them first. It's now midnight and they are going strong. I have no idea who actually owns that old house. Someone who lives in Tn. But I hope they don't come closer. I can just see my poor goats ending up in a BBQ pit sometime during the night. This has never happened before out here and I've lived here almosr 6 years.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sbaxter13
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

susan
lakeland fl
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  6:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Send sbaxter13 a Yahoo! Message
i planted my garden 2 days ago. i live in florida on 3 acres and have 2 horses,a goat,a lamb and chicken and ducks and4 dogs.i was out there today watching my garden grow lol havent had a garden in 3 years.the weather is great susan

farm girl susan
Go to Top of Page

Donna Jo
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Donna Jo
New Castle IN
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  7:18:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by prairie_princess

GAH it's snowing again today.... :( ladies who are in lovely weather, keep posting your pretty descriptions! It may keep me warm and cozy with thoughts of spring!

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner

Donna Jo
Go to Top of Page

Donna Jo
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Donna Jo
New Castle IN
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  7:31:01 PM  Show Profile
I love Wyoming, I know it is still cold out there, but it is so beautiful and wide open. I'm in Indiana so it has warmed up very nicely, today almost 80. Our lawn mower is down too, so the grass is really starting to come on. Our adventure for the day was the neighbor around the corner stopping to tell me our horses were running thru her backyard. We have a low wet spot in the back pasture and we keep electric fence there. Evidently a deer ran thru it and we have a curious paint that found his way out and took the other three with him. Thankfully I have great neighbors and they all showed up with a bucket of feed and lead ropes and halters. I called the dear hubby and daughter home from the 4-H meeting and we had a round up and a great visit with all the neighbors. Typical spring at the Phipps Ranch. Guess who will be patching fence tomorrow...I was going to paint the new addition to the chicken house but that will wait until Saturday. Happy Spring Everyone...Donna Jo

Donna Jo
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  04:36:15 AM  Show Profile
Donna Jo, that sounds like a day at Outback Farm. Something is always happening here. My heifer Mazie was getting out quite a lot. She'd climb right over a fence and down the road she's go. But I can always get her back with an apple or two. I have 1 goat that will jump over fences. A dog also. So never a dull moment. I hope you get your fenced fixed. Last week there were about 4 horses running loose out here from up the road.

Hello Susan. I think I have been to Lakeland. Isn't it right before Jacksonville? I went down there to meet my hubby and all the motels were full because of some race going on. And I wanted to take the ferry over to Amelia Island and they were doing repairs on it. I was so upset. I'm glad you are getting some gardening done. I have started most of mine. The cooler weather stuff. But it sure hasn't been all that cool here. We've already had close to 90 some days. What kind of goat do you have? I have 3 Lamanchas and a Nubian and they have 6 stinkin' bucks.

I got woke up by a barking dog and roosters this morning. Great way to start a day.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  07:48:45 AM  Show Profile
Kristen, Did my heart good to hear your beautiful description of your outback. I don't have a farm as we are living in a condo right now Yuck.
But, we do have a motor home.
How about we come and visit and soak up some farm life for a couple of days? lol
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

CynthiaT.
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Cynthia
Alpena Arkansas
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  11:35:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh the smell is in the air! YUCK! Chicken litter! My BIL spread chicken litter over our fields and garden area and boy it's hard to catch a fresh breath of air! LOL!

Yes, it was great raising the goats. No, I didn't have a dairy farm. My SIL had a dairy and I helped her raise some nannies in exchange for 1/2 the nannies and all of the wethers that I wanted. I ended up with about 58 kids.

I can't wait until the house is done so that we can sit out on the porches and just listen to each sound and just "be"! I've decided to close my embroidery business. I've got one never-ending odrder that should be totally complete and delivered on Monday. And then the doors will be closed, except for the occasional item that I create just to sell. But I'm totally finished with taking orders for custom made items (atleast for now.)

I am going to start planting my garden on Sunday. I'm a little behind the ball but oh well! We're trying a new spot for our garden. So we'll see how it works.

I don't think I'm going to start our farm "business" right now. I think I just want to not do anything except be with my children and husband. Of course I need to figure out how to do that because I have either worked, worked and went to school, or had my business. I've never just been a stay at home mom. I just have to figure out how not to be bored.

Well, my daughter wants to go to the new house and make sure they're still building it (as she says). Until next time...

Farmgirl sister # 852
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  8:16:02 PM  Show Profile
Michele, come on down! I'd love for you to come visit. My daughter is moving out of our little house this weekend and I am going to start remodeling it as soon as possible. I want to start a Bed & Breakfast. I am so excited! I have all kinds of ideas floating around in my head. We also have a big camper. So come on down! It's just beautiful here. Great views of both mountains. You can even milk a few goats and chase some kids around. What fun!

Cynthia, if you do get bored please come to Ga. I need lots of help here and I will not let you get bored! Nope, not for one second. I have so much that needs to be done I can hardly think straight right now. I would love some extra hands. I sure hope your house is finished soon and you can start your new adventures. And I hope you get at least a few goaties. And they spread chicken manure all around us here. It's really nasty if the wind is blowing this way.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sbaxter13
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

susan
lakeland fl
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  8:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Send sbaxter13 a Yahoo! Message
hello kristin yes lakeland is before jacksonville. my goat is a nigerian dawarf,she is so sweet her name is trixie my lambs name is dixie. my graden start spourting i am so excited. i am like a kid in a candy store. it was nice talking to some one. oh by the way i made the cake in the mason jar. susan

farm girl susan
Go to Top of Page

barefootmama
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Jennifer
BLOOMSBURG Pennsylvania
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  9:49:32 PM  Show Profile  Send barefootmama a Yahoo! Message
What a wonderful post Kris!!!!and all you ladies..thank you so much for sharing your wonderful properties today..I have been working like a dog all weekend and haven't even walked through my field since thursday poor hubby and kids have done wonderfully and have taken care of the flock for me but I am looking forward to my day off on Monday..Thank you girls for making my night a little brighter with your great "pictures" of your places

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves,for they shall never cease to be amused:)
Go to Top of Page

barefootmama
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Jennifer
BLOOMSBURG Pennsylvania
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  09:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Send barefootmama a Yahoo! Message
Finally!!!!the blessed event has arrived.......A DAY OFF!! lol. I knew I was stressed when I came home exceptionally grumpy this morning after 3-12 hr 3rd shiftsin a row and very very minimal sleep.The black cloud hung over my head all the way home,got kids off to school and kissed hubby good bye for his day of hard work. Finally,out of my scrubs and contacts a slice of toast w honey and a cup of chamomile tea ahhhhhhhh. It wasn't until I dove into my morning chores of feeding the dogs and cats and started the long and daunting task of coop cleaning and feeding 40 poultry and gathering eggs that a smile slowly crept across my face and total bliss took over when I released the lasted outdoor brood of chicks and ducks into their pen for breakfast. ahhhh some times we get so wrapped up in the mundane that we forget how the small little things are so rewarding and satisfying. I was so wrapped up in that era this morning and was reminded of how much I love being home and would rather be here than anywhere else...So now this evening when all the everyday tasks are done including homework when kids get home and when hubby comes home I will apologize for "miss grumpy pants" who came home this morning and I'll be here waiting with open arms to greet my little family....Im sure some ribs on our fire pit and smores wouldnt hurt either lol.
So ladies as I sit home tonight after the kids are tucked in and Rich and I have our quiet time I'll be sitting at my fire pit on our swing maybe a glass of wine in hand and discussing plans for the future I will glance up at the stars and be thinking of where all of you are tonight and wondering what the future holds for all of us

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves,for they shall never cease to be amused:)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  4:32:35 PM  Show Profile
Susan, I love the names. So cute. It is so fun to go out in the garden and see stuff coming up through the dirt. I was planting some more this afternoon. I got 3 different kinds of beans and 2 kinds of corn planted. I have never grown pop corn and I got some from DeereDawn. I hope it does good here. So I was looking at my potato rows and saw some grren popping up!!! I was so excited to see it. I planted them on Good Friday. The onions are all up. The peas are too. I am already watering like crazy. We need rain bad. So enjoy your garden time. How did the cake turn out. It sounds so good.

Jennifer, I am so glad you have some time off. I don't know how you work those long shifts and 3rd. My hubby used to work swing shift. He was a bear on 3rd. I did not like him those days. But I totally agree with you. I sometimes get all caught up in all I have to do around here and get all ugly. Then something cute and sweet happens. Like goat kids jumping straight up in the air. Or the cow girls running. Or the horses across the field running around. I love that. And a nice cool shade tree with a good book and a glass of tea. It really makes me appreciate this place out here then. And I realize how lucky I am. So thanks for your nice day. I hope you have a wonderful evening with your hubby.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  10:41:36 AM  Show Profile
I went outside today and put up my twine fence... something odd I designed and I planted tons of flowers on tuesday. On monday I had to travel back from CT where my uncle was carting me everywhere and I couldn't understand why he wanted to (in the 50g car lord stop my heart it was pretty but not functional) I got on the train in Poukeepsie and then to Penn Station NYC and I knew I wanted to go out of Madison Square garden and get a hot dog, well I did and stood in my farmgirl circle cut skirt, with my pink shirt and hand knitted cardigan, watching the people at 38th and something run around, pulling their children. I looked at everyone like they were nuts and they looked at me with curiosity, even someone in the amtrak waiting area told their kids I was Amish... even as i texted away on my phone :). Everyone was in such a hurry! I took a picture and posted it on facebook that I wanted my cornfields back!

I stood there for about 15 minutes, 6 bums approached me asking for spare change, they looked like bums. And then a young man approached me asking for 16 dollars for the amount to get to boston on the train and I told him no, but as I was walking away an angel stopped me and pointed at him. I remembered my uncle had given me 20$ and I had spent 4 on a drink and a hot dog and so I turned around at the angels direction and handed him my 16 dollars. He did find me in the amtrack waiting area in the garden and thanked me, showing me his ticket, he said he was going home to his parents.

Very much the experience in New York City, bought a mug too, but no thank you... I can't believe I used to dream of that life. I work the land here and pick my veggies and process them so we have fresh things to eat over the winter. And if I want to sit in my backyard on a blanket I have it, no homeowners association fees, nothing just happyness here.

I am a proud farmgirl these days, conversion from city to farm in full swing

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  11:54:09 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Emily, what a great experience in the city. Don't you just know some things are straight from the Lord when that happens? I am so glad you went back and found him. Good for you. I love that. I am glad you are back home though. Really, there is no place like home. I love mine.

It's not been too quiet here. I have been tilling and planting in the gardens. It's quiet when I am planting though. I love that time. Looking at the dirt now then in a few weeks I'll see green all over the place! I love it. I am so impatient and want everything up at once then I have to start picking it. I need ot have more patience.

So I am in full swing now out there. Just waiting now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic It's so quiet and peaceful out here Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page