True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Majal
Ashland KY
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  8:48:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi farmgirls!

I'm 23 and single. I just started my first real job a few weeks ago and now I feel like I can be realistically working towards my farm dreams! My goal is to own about 5 acres and have a little farmhouse with chickens, goats, maybe a few sheep or a cow and a big garden for myself. What I am realizing however, is that buying a house and being strapped to a hefty mortgage payment for 30+ years isn't for me. Especially with my meager writer's salary.

So I have an idea- save up for those acres (which I think I could do in about half a year or so) and build the house myself. Admittedly, I don't know how to build a house. But I have been looking into traditional home building methods like the cob house and little cottages. I am a young woman and single- can I do this? I really hope so. I figure I just take baby steps. Order some books on the subjects. Save up for my land. Things like that. Learn as much as I can.

Any suggestions, stories, or advice would be so appreciated!

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  9:00:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Majal:
Welcome to the site. You'll love it here. There are so many wonderful women who can give you such great advise. My husband and I rebuilt our house twice. We had to gut the entire house after two floods. With the help of only one carpenter, we rebuilt our house ourselves. Where there's a will, there's a way. Sounds like you have the will, and I know you can find the way. Stay positive.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ritagail
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Ritagail
Bartlesville OK
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  9:04:48 PM  Show Profile
I'm sure there are other women on here who will have more practical info. What I want to say to you is that if this is your dream, GO FOR IT!!! One thing you might consider doing is starting a scrapbook, or even a digital diary/scrapbook. Each time you find something you think fits with what you want to do, ideas, ads, articles, images, etc., put them in your scrapbook or files. Build up your library. Also think about other skills you can learn that will earn you income while you are living on your land.

And realize to truly be independent you will have to endure unpleasant "chores".

But don't lose that starry-eyed dreaming just yet.

;)
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  9:09:01 PM  Show Profile
I believe you can do this and who knows, maybe someone may join you in the plan by the time you get to it. Or you may be able to work out bartering for help with the work of building. We had great help from an artist friend who had studied architecture and a practical old farmer who could do a lot with almost nothing. It is a sign of strength and determination that you are ready to do this on your own and there will be people out there who may be excited about helping you.

If you are buying land without buildings and can have that paid off first it will be a great step in the right direction. We did that and when we were ready to build we had a place to do it. We did a lot of reading and planning and were ready to build our octagon when we had a bit more money saved. We got a loan for about $5,000 and did almost all the work ourselves. Our neighbors built a pole building first and lived in it while building the house, it became a combination workshop and animal shelter when they got to the house.
You are wise not to get tied to a big mortgage. Even if you make a living writing, it will probably
be avariable income. When you have money save what you can.
Good luck!

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  03:56:50 AM  Show Profile
That sounds wonderful! You cam surely do anything you put your mind to! I have a friend who built a house one paycheck at a time. Each month she did a little bit and finally a few years later she has a beautiful home that is 100% paid for! That's how they did it in the "olden days". I think it's a great plan!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  07:43:10 AM  Show Profile
Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! What a good dream you have and I say "GO FOR IT!!". Please get the book Country Women by Jeanne Tetrault and Sherry Thomas. It is excellent and will really help with building structures. And lots of good advice. Good luck and you came to the right place for info and friendship. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  08:04:24 AM  Show Profile
I'd suggest looking for a book called Handbuilt Homes. It would be about 30 years old so you might find it in a library or a used book site. I haven't seen the creativity in anything since that one. It was an inspritation when we built.
Oh, by the way, did you know that woman were the plumbers in ancient Rome and did some amazing things?

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  08:23:11 AM  Show Profile
If you dream something fiercely enough, your dream can come true.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  09:59:14 AM  Show Profile
Hello Majal,
And Welcome to this corner of the world.
My husband and I bought 17 acres got it paid off then had our little house built. We didn't get started seriously until we were 55 so if we can do it so late in life, you with your most productive, energetic,healthiest years yet to come can surely do it!! I know you can girl. Keep us all updated on your progress.
N@n in Ark

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  10:00:35 AM  Show Profile
Hey Majal--a thought before building a house--make sure the land is zoned agricultural. I've heard of people buying a whole lot of acrage--15 acres...which they thought was big enough for a farm, but it was mostly forested. They came to find out they couldn't cut the logs and the land was zoned for hunting! So be careful.

Your dreams sound like mine--I'd want to build with straw bale and cob...once you get the money together and looking at property--you might want to see if there are schools or contractors that do such green building that might use your "project" to show to students. Might save you some money. There are usually people who will pitch in to help--so I think you should go ahead and move forward with your dreams!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

NEXT RADIO SHOW: Jan 31st ~ Heather Smith Thomas, author of "Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle" and "Storey's Guide to Raising horses" If you like horses or cattle, JOIN US!
Go to Top of Page

kentuckywoman
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Majal
Ashland KY
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  10:06:34 AM  Show Profile
This has given me so much encouragement. Thank you all!!

I just ordered a bunch of books on Amazon and Half.com including the book 'Country Women' that Marybeth suggested.

Farmtopia- I am so happy you mentioned that. I hadn't even thought about the possibility that land would not be zoned for agriculture out in the country, but you are absolutely right.

Cindy Lou- I couldn't find Handbuilt Homes on amazon or ebay, but I will keep looking!

Many thanks!
Go to Top of Page

HorseLady
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Rose
Irwin PA
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  6:52:01 PM  Show Profile
There is alot of info out there about building your own home from a kit. These are smaller ones, generally. A good source is Countryside Magazine. I think it's a great goal, but I wouldn't rush into anything. You are still rather young.

Hug a horse or a dog today!
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  07:17:21 AM  Show Profile
Majal, my daddy always told me that if I could dream it, and was willing to put forth the effort to do it, I could achieve anything. It was good advice in my childhood, and continues to pay off today. I say go for it. Start saving, start researching (I strongly agree with Zan - zoning and other obstacles could rear their ugly heads), and go full steam ahead. We all have faith in you. And keep us posted. Especially if you find yourself getting discouraged, we'll all help you get over it and moving in the right direction again!!!!!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  07:36:13 AM  Show Profile
I have done many things people said couldn't be done! Back in the old days people had barn raisings! Maybe you could put one togther with local people. Who knows,maybe some farmgirls could come out! Work toward the goal!!!

Michelle

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  04:22:00 AM  Show Profile
Sounds awesome! I would agree with checking on zoning, etc. for the land you want to buy. Currently we have a bit of land (13 acres) so people often think we can do all sorts of things with it...but its in the city limits so there are SO many things we aren't allowed to do. You would hate to get a piece of property and then not be able to live out those dreams! :) Good luck!

And no...to answer your title, you're definitely not insane!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  05:57:03 AM  Show Profile
I think saving up and living mortgage-free is a great idea.

Make sure you check out the code laws in your area for the building itself though. If you're going to use building techniques that aren't the norm for the industry, you may run into some problems with building inspectors and home insurance. Better to know in advance and head them off if possible.
Go to Top of Page

KaleidoscopeEyes
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Stephanie
Amesbury MA
20 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  4:39:45 PM  Show Profile
Definitely go for it!

I am in a similar situation as you are... I am a 20 year old city girl who has been in love with the farm life for all my life. My boyfriend and I are going to save up and do whatever possible to make our dream a reality. For example, we'll be staying on 24-arces of his family's heirloom land for the summer, camping out in a small canvas tent, and working the land to get experience.

So my advice would be to do whatever possible to get hands-on experience. There's a lot to learn about the country life (I've been reading everything I can get my hands on also!) so the more you do, the better. Maybe get involved a local community garden. We also joined a "Meetup" (www.meetup.com) group about urban homesteading to learn a few tricks. It will also give the opportunity to meet like-minded people ;)

But go for it! Good luck and keep us all posted!!!
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  9:12:45 PM  Show Profile
You have a wonderful dream. You are so smart asking for collective experiences. I am a Planning and Zoning Commissioner. Too ofen I see people not doing their homework before committing dollars. It is so heartbreaking when someone buys and then learns after the fact that they made a huge error with their decision.

Dawn

Small farm farmers rock!
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  04:41:09 AM  Show Profile
Majal,I'm only 14, so I can't give you a lot of advice about home building, but you need to go for your dream. There's no reason why you aren't entitled to go for your dream. That's not insane, it's what our country was built on: hardworking people who had a dream and went for them!
God's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  05:19:55 AM  Show Profile
YES YOU CANYou are right pay off the land first. Call the county tax accessor and see if there is any way you can keep your taxes low - we found out that if we had not built our home and then our barn on concrete slabs, the taxes would be lower, see how much land you need and what you need to do to get an agriculture exemption. It could be a simple as growing hay on your land, and here we are paying $8.50 a square bale at the feed store. Ask around, barter where you can, and most of all you go Farmgirl

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  06:02:11 AM  Show Profile
The Planning and Zoning gal has given you really good advice. Look before you leap. I have finished "phase one" of my dream to teach. I got the master's "phase 2" is to pass the teaching tests. I have to take two of them. "Phase 3" is to get a spot for Aug. Planning is very important. Make you goal attainable in small phases so as not to get discouraged.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  11:03:40 AM  Show Profile
I'm 25 and my boyfriend and I dream of a little cottage on 20 or so acres out in the country. He wants a tractor and a woodlot, I want a kitchen garden, a couple of chickens, and a mini jersey cow. But we, too, know the burden of being saddled with a mortgage. His parents designed and built their own house, but I'm not sure I want to go that direction.

HOWEVER, Mother Earth News has done several articles, how-tos, and such about single women and others who have built their own houses. Check out http://www.motherearthnews.com and search "how to build a house" and you'll get 100 results. Not all are for houses to live in, but they've got articles on log houses, timber houses, rammed earth houses, adobe houses, etc.

You can do it! But I agree, get the land first. And GOOD LUCK!

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  11:25:53 AM  Show Profile
Majal, welcome and your dream sounds like my dream...GO FOR IT!!! Live your dream =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

jelliott
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Jennifer
Athol Idaho
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  11:54:27 AM  Show Profile
Keep on taking those baby steps and someday you will run. It will happen, just keep that dream going. It will be the bestest feeling in the whole world when that dream comes true and you are running.

Keep us informed. God speed.

If music be the food of Love, play on. Wm. Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

Rueby
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Jerusha
Atlantic PA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  5:58:46 PM  Show Profile
I don't think it's insane at all. There is also a neat home building material known as hay bale house. The whole house is essentially made from hay bales and it insulates itself, is virtually fireproof and is beautiful Do a google search for images and you'll see how neat these houses are. I would love to build one.
Go to Top of Page

Kyria
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

Kyria
Carthage TX
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  6:19:22 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely you can do it! Another great resource is the Backwoods Home magazine. www.backwoodshome.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Is this insane? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page