farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  06:09:48 AM  Show Profile
This weekend is when we are turning part of the barn (12x20 barn shaped storage shed, actually) into a chicken coop. I have some questions.

The guys want to put up a full wall making the back 12x6 area into where the chickens are. That has currently been where our dogs are when they have to be locked up outside (We have other areas for the dogs as well, don't worry!) so we just need to do a few modifications! I was thinking just fencing to the ceiling would be fine, but the guys said said it would be more heat efficient (cold MN winters!!) to put up an actual wall. They were going to put heat lamps in (for winter) and said that would be better in a smaller area, since we don't currently heat the entire barn at all.

There are two windows in the barn but if the full wall goes up, the windows won't be where the chickens are. We do have a door that will go into the wall that has a giant window in it, so the chickens would get light through that, and also the bit that comes in through their little chicken door.

We are planning to let the chickens run during the day and lock them up at night. Do the coop plans sound ok so far? Can someone tell me about ventilation? We want to make it warm enough/cool enough for them so the guys are all about making it tight, but I keep reading they need decent ventilation. How do you make it warm enough for 30 below, but enough ventilation so they don't get sick? Ideas?

Also, I know as far as nesting boxes, you only need one for every 3-4 chickens. I have the measurements....but how far to then need to be off the ground? Do you need something for the gals to be able to get into them (steps) or do they just fly up there?

As far as places for them to roost, I keep reading they need to be rounded "poles" or at least 2x4s with the edges rounded off. My mom says that it doesn't matter, they will roost wherever they can.

Thanks in advance for the answers to my many questions!!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  06:35:20 AM  Show Profile
Amy, it sounds great. But they do need some ventilation. MAybe some cracks between the wall material? I was going to say just to not put the wall all the way to the ceiling but then heat rises. So Maybe in the middle of the wall. And I have nesting boxes all over. Most are on the ground. Some are a few feet up. They can fly up to get in. It's much easier on your back if They're higher. But mine lay where ever they find a nice dark place. For some reason they do not like to lay where it's too bright. They will go to the farthest darkest corner. But that's my experience with them. And you could have a nest box for each hen you have but they will stand in line waiting for their favorite one. Really, they will. It's so funny. I have seen them. They will sometimes get impatient and stand on the back of one who's loitering so they will leave.

Have fun with it and don't worry too much. Chickens have survived the coldest temps. I have some that roost in a cedar tree right outside the barn. When we had that last snow those stupid chickens were covered with snow and the limb was on the ground. They are not the brightest of creatures. But they are all still alive. And it was cold. We have had a very cold snowy winter and I did not lose a one to the weather.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  07:53:37 AM  Show Profile
amy i agree with kris. the girls will roost on anything they can grab onto with their feet.you will need ventilation. chickens put out a lot of heat and moisture. if no vent you will get mold in wet times like winter. chickens ALWAYS prefer to lay eggs in a dark place. they hide their eggs. eggs are babies. they need to feel that it is safe to lay an egg in the nest. i have a curtain in front of the opening to the nest boxes. if the boxes are too open they will lay somewhere else. if your birds have large combs you will need to be more concerned about cold. the combs can freeze in winter. i have sexlinks and they do really well in the cold. since they are a smaller bird it costs less to feed them and still get a big egg.they are also quieter than some. just a thought sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  08:40:00 AM  Show Profile
Most of my hens roost outside even though we built them beautiful roosts inside - sigh.... And their nest boxes are about 18 inches off the ground, they just fly in. This is our first year with them so I am by no means an expert, but we have read alot!! You will have so much fun - just wait till they start laying, lots of egg recipes will be necessary:D
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4268 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4268 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  11:26:09 AM  Show Profile
Our nest boxes are 2.5 - 3 feet above the floor of the coop. Our roost is on hinges, so we can put it up to clean under it. Also we used young saplings for the roost itself. They are one to two inches in diameter, and worked great. Cheap too!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  07:12:26 AM  Show Profile
I have lower walls of wood, wire to the ceiling, and shutters to close over the wire in the winter. This way I can have the shutters open during all of the warm weather and close them when neded. You might need to put roof vents for ventiltation in the winter.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  08:19:45 AM  Show Profile
I have about 25 hens and 11 nest boxes and they all lay in 3 of them!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.eggsandherbs.com
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2010 :  6:07:44 PM  Show Profile
Amy I'm so glad you asked these questions!
I have the same ones, because husband seems to think we need 4 walls all insulated, but I said we need ventilation and he thinks they will freeze in the winter!
The plans that we have for our coop show a slanted roof, with screened in vents in the highest part. He plans on putting shutters over that in the winter. Is there any way your guys could leave about a foot of the wall open with screening, then in the winter cover it up when needed?
I wondered too if they had their door open on all but the nastiest days in winter if that would help with a dampness problem?
That is so funny about the hens and their nesting boxes!!! Kristin I can just see yours all lined up waiting, kind of like ladies waiting to use the rest room, lol!
Amy- when are you getting your chicks? Mine are coming April 8.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  4:59:08 PM  Show Profile
plus you don't want them "roosting" in the nest boxes, for lack of better roosting spots, or there'll be chicken poop in the nest boxes. . .
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  5:16:05 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I'll have to get a picture. It's funny. And I put another crate with nice fluffy hay right in front of that box and they just use it to stand on while they are waiting. Just exactly like the one they are waiting on, too. They are so silly, those girls.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Coop questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page