Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 what do you like............
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic what do you like............ Next Topic  

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  07:50:34 AM  Show Profile

What do you like about the place you live, the town, farms and community, area in general? Is it great schools, rural area, neighbors, community spirit or ect......?

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  07:57:15 AM  Show Profile
I love my neighbors Dolly & Clayton they are about 15 years older than I am am they are just nice, they have a beautiful yard and in the spring, summer + fall they have a fire at night and we just visit and watch the flames, it is so relaxing. It is also nice that I have a store/mall within walking distance. I do miss my town of Attica but it is only 30 miles away.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  08:38:51 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE my neighbors. We live in a cute old neighborhood on the not so great side of town. The main streets around us aren't that great, no good stores close but the neighbors really make up for it. We all know each other and watch out for each other. I can truly say I have the BEST neighbors.

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  10:48:57 AM  Show Profile
It's funny that both the above say their neighbors. we moved to where we are to have no neighbors. Our one neighbor is nice but she lives down the street. But I like the fact that nobody is trying to keep up with the jones where I live now. if you understand that phrase.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  11:27:27 AM  Show Profile
I am curious, but also asking because my husband and I are thinking of moving from where we live. Where we live is very beautiful, but there are other issues.....

We live simple, raise cattle, have a few horses,attend church and a have couple of great kids! I am a RN and my husband has a degree, but does not work in his profession.

We are looking for a rural place with great neighbors, great schools, family friendly.

Any suggestions or anyone know of a place?

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  11:34:44 AM  Show Profile
Try looking into Moscow Idaho...I was always a big city girl until I moved here....I love the small town feel and knowing that I can very well run into my family doctor in the grocery store and we can chat about life...its a really nice little town. Two universities with in shouting distance and several hospitals...we have pretty good schools and are home to MaryJane's Farm =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  11:53:18 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Annika,

I did some research on Moscow, Idaho and it is a very beautiful place. I did send for some information.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  5:27:25 PM  Show Profile
I like that so far we don't have a McDonalds. There is a Sonic and a Chinese place but not much else. I went to the feed store one afternoon, late, and the owner had all the day's money out on a table counting it. He just left it all there while he waited on me. I love the small town feel my town has

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  05:28:26 AM  Show Profile
I love living here in the Great North Woods!! For me it is the peaceful views, the abundant wildlife and the privacy you get living on a dirt road up in the mountains. Our land affords us the ability to do just about anything we want, our neighbors are great and not to close by and most of all, I can be the kind of woman I want to be!!

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  05:54:29 AM  Show Profile
I wanna live where all you ladies live!!! I like the property we have here (13 acres) with its perfect mix of woods, creek, and field...but as far as where its located....NO WAY!! We can't wait to get out from under the rule of this crazy Minnesota city!!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  12:27:38 PM  Show Profile
I love where we are. We are not far from highways and *happenings* but we have our own private paradise of 12 acres down a long paved drive with woodlands, pond and meadow. We can be away from it all and yet not be far from other things.
The land has allowed us to have animals and gardens. I also love our town, very family, farm and artist oriented.

~marcia

www.harmonywoodsfarm.com
www.childinharmony.com

"Enriching,nurturing and inspiring Life with nature,animals
and the arts .. for the child and the child within"
Go to Top of Page

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  12:35:55 PM  Show Profile
We have been in TN for about 2 years and we absolutely love it. My neighbors are wonderful! The part of TN where we live, has beautiful rolling hills, farms, woods, and lots of wildlife. We live out in the country and its so peaceful. We are a short drive (all backroads) to Nashville and any of the other neighboring towns. We love it here!

~Kerry Anne
Farmgirl Sister #975
Go to Top of Page

StitchHazel
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Kylie
Rome NY
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  10:27:04 PM  Show Profile
I live in Central NY state, and we're close to everything--the Adirondack mountains, the border with Canada, lots of rural areas, bigger cities, other New England states. It's just nice. I live in Rome, which has a small-town feel but the amenities of a larger city. I grew up in a little town, and never imagined myself living in a semi-suburban area, but we are on the outskirts. Our neighbors keep horses, and our backyard is a cemetery. Very quiet neighbors, those ;} Our house has been here since the 40s, when my husband's parents lived in it.

Kylie

"It's wonderful what we can do when we're always doing." -George Washington
Go to Top of Page

StitchHazel
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Kylie
Rome NY
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  10:28:40 PM  Show Profile
Not much room for what you need, though, Denise :} There are, however, lots of pretty rural areas surrounding my town :} And great local food; our local heritage is largely Italian!

"It's wonderful what we can do when we're always doing." -George Washington
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  04:17:35 AM  Show Profile
I live quite close to Chicago. We have to because my hubby works in the city. We're here until he retires and the girls graduate. We like it here because we're close to the city & lake. We can hop on the expressways and be at our camping destination within an hour. We're also close to a lot of forest preserves and nature centers. Not to mention we have a zoo right here as our neighbor.

As far as people neighbors, we couldn't have picked better ones. On one side she has been like a Grandmother to my girls. The other side is an older couple as well. The man is a work horse! We live on a block with lots of older people. My children have learned so much from them. I'll be sad one day, I know. We've lost a couple already.

My kids walk to school. Can bike ride to the park. We don't have any businesses within walking distance. But that's ok. I think that would bring in traffic.

Some day I might have my cabin with a pond. We're dreaming & planning for a day that might come.

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  9:24:09 PM  Show Profile
I like my house and yard. My husband has built a koi pond and a zen garden in the backyard along with the vegetable garden. We live in Minneapolis, Minnesota proper, but another county is across the street. My side yard has many beautiful flowers and woodland plants. I have a barn, a windmill and a place to sit and enjoy. I am blessed. I do wish I lived on a farm again, but now I really can't take care of it because of all the arthritis. As I said I am blessed. Like Mary Jane says "farm girl is a condition of the heart". Be happy wherever you are planted. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  03:21:10 AM  Show Profile
We live in rural NC. There are rolling hills and cows in fields all over the palce!

You can still wade in the creek and not worry about your skin getting a rash from some mystery toxin

The area where we live specifically is touted as the pottery mecca of the US. Within a 40 mile raduis we are surrounded by over 100 potters who throw clay for a lifestyle and somehow manage to stay afloat. It's pretty cool.

I do miss big city sometimes, but driving on uncrowded back country roads will spoil ya
Go to Top of Page

sw80689
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Sharon
Papillion Nebraska
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  11:22:37 AM  Show Profile
I live in a small town, have only been here for a year. Several neighbors are retired couples and very kind. My neighbor next door comes over and helps us with removing large tree limbs and snow removal in the winter. We have a huge fenced in yard and a big old brick patio. We love to sit outside in the summer and grill and play with our 2 beloved dogs. Most of my neighbors have beautiful flowers and gardens so I feel at home here. There is just such a wonderful "small town" close community spirit here, I love it! Papillion just won recognition nationally for being the 2nd best affordable suburb to live in. The whole town is so proud, there are signs everywhere and a celebration coming up. I was raised in the Midwest and lived in California for 19 years and am so glad to be back "home".
Blessings,

Sharon

*We are all angels with one wing, the only way to fly, therefore is to embrace one another*
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic what do you like............ Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page