prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  12:26:42 PM  Show Profile
I tried my hand at making cream of mushroom soup... came out pretty good! though, for all those mushrooms (i like a lot in my soup), i only got 3 containers full...

also made veggie broth!

i find that broth is so easy to make, i make it any time i have to boil chicken... just throw it in the pot with some veggies, spices, and water, let it simmer for about an hour, and presto! homemade broth. i think i'll start doing it with veggies that need to be used quickly, too.

anyone else make homemade broths or soups to store/freeze rather than using bought canned soups?

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  12:28:37 PM  Show Profile
Most of the time I make my own veggie broth with ends and pieces and peels and things that don't end up in the compost. I also make my own broth from chicken pieces...it's really simple and I either freeze it or use it almost instantly (I cook every night, so things don't last very long in our house!).

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  1:18:38 PM  Show Profile
I have never bought a can of soup or broth in my life, I have always made it all my self, as my Mama before me did. It is sooooooo much better tasting and healther for you.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  3:48:47 PM  Show Profile
OMGosh! I had to make an (Emergency) pot of veggie soup the other day....DH left the fridge-freezer ajar and everything, all veggies, we keep meat in the chest freezer,thank goodness, had thawed and had to be cooked.I got 17 qts of soup out of it at least. We have soup enough for awhile now. *rolls eyes* I'm so thankful that I know what to do in Emergencies like that. I know people who would have just tossed everything, then gone around harping about their loss. You do too, I'm sure! Sad creatures. I'm glad I'm a Farmgirl!!! :-)

Sister-chick# 905(Oct.7th2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  3:52:18 PM  Show Profile
Judy, even if us humans could not eat it, the critters could have, or it could have gone into the compost pile also. Throwing it all out is a huge waste, you are right.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  6:57:59 PM  Show Profile
I have started making big batches of soups and pressure canning them instead of freezing like I have in the past. I prefer pressure canning much better! The last batch of ham/.bean soup was even better after canning it!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

cajungrammie
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

tina
dry prong la.
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  7:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Send cajungrammie a Yahoo! Message
i have always made my own broth,it is sooo much better than canned.

Sometimes I think I know Everything!!Then I wake Up!!
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  7:54:25 PM  Show Profile
We make our own broth here...soup is one of our main meals. Its so easy to make from scratch...and the stuff at the store is so ridiculously expensive!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  9:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
We make our own soups and broths too. We don't buy the canned. It just does not taste the same.
Huga,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  04:53:50 AM  Show Profile
I am so happy for you!!! Now your "hooked" like the other gals! It is kind of fun to make up your own soups too. . . just take notes on what you are adding in and how much so if you really like it you can duplicate it.

I have a crock pot that I always have a soup going in. Love soup any time of day or night. . .

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  08:18:23 AM  Show Profile
My favorite soup is "Hamburger Soup". Whenever I make another dish with hamburger I always save out a little for the soup. Just brown the burger, add water and soy sauce, and your veggies. Any veggies will do but I always use cabbage, onions, spinach and if I'm lucky (meaning if I remember to save a few) chopped water chestnuts...add crunch!!

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  10:48:40 AM  Show Profile
I don't think I've bought chicken stock or chicken soup in quite some time (enough years that I can't remember). Any time we have a roast chicken the carcass and extras go into the stock pot. We freeze it, but I did get a pressure canner for Christmas, so perhaps I'll be canning it instead. :)
We raised a turkey for thanksgiving, he dressed out at 35 pounds in the freezer. He made some AWESOME stock/soup. I ended up with 7 gallon freezer bags of turkey stock.
We raised a steer last year and had the butcher save us soup bones. I need to try my hand at beef stock. Any good recipes/tips for beef stock?

Alicia

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson

www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1680 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1680 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2010 :  9:31:31 PM  Show Profile
Alicia,
I always make beef, chicken and veggie broth/ stock /soup. For my beef stock I take a beef roast about 5 pounds put in crock pot cook for about 8 to 10 hours with onions, cerely stalks, garlic and some cut up carrots. Put enough water in to about 3/4 way but don't summerge the roast in water. I do the same with chicken. When done you have a meal with meat and save the stock and freeze for later use.
Hugs,
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  11:08:04 AM  Show Profile
thanks for reminding me to save the bones! i don't know why, but i always forget to use them! why waste them if you can use them, right? i save the pork bones for the dog, but there's no reason i can't use them further before giving them to her...

it's funny... we cleaned out the basement to reorganize our food storage and throw away old canned goods. but now that i'm replacing most of the canned goods, we have all this extra room for whatever we choose to put there! except now i have less room in the freezer... hoping to get a pressure canner this year!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  1:57:03 PM  Show Profile
I have canned all our own soup for many years. My grown soins come home and deplete my stash. They were both deployed and they begged me to send some to them overseas. I had to be creative with my shipping!

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  2:59:38 PM  Show Profile
Can you can soup in a water bath or does it have to be pressure canned? Thanks, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  4:14:37 PM  Show Profile
Carol- I'm pretty sure it has to be pressure canned, due to the low acidity levels. Needs the higher temps to store safely.

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson

www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  4:25:42 PM  Show Profile
That makes sense, thank you

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  04:20:39 AM  Show Profile
You should pressure cook due to the meat or meat based broth.

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic replacing canned soups! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page