prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  11:25:05 AM  Show Profile
Can anyone explain the purpose of it? I've heard it is ground grapes or something? Doesn't it help egg whites stay stiff or fluffy? but what does it do for breads, like the MJ recipe for crackers?

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  12:27:07 PM  Show Profile
I believe cream of tartar is a leavening agent (like baking soda). It's not exactly the same as baking soda, but has similar effects.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  12:58:24 PM  Show Profile
Cream of tarter is the acid that makes up part of baking powder. It gives the soda what it needs for it's reaction. It also tastes really tart when mixed with water and is good to drink (if you can choke it down) for a bladder infection - similar effect to cranberry juice. You can also use it in a pinch as an acid mordant when dying wool (although I think vinegar is better).

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  2:29:34 PM  Show Profile
wow! i didn't know it was in baking powder! interesting... so is it an acid or is really made from grapes? i can't remember where i heard that....

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  2:53:45 PM  Show Profile
Yes, it does come from grapes - it's residue left after grape juice has fermented into wine. Yes it is an acid - like vinegar is an acid or citric acid from oranges is an acid.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cream of Tartar Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page