Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Kids and computer dangers Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  08:55:46 AM  Show Profile
Do you allow unsupervised internet usage for your children? How do you protect them from the dangers of technology? I wrote a post about that today and would love for you to weigh in with your thoughts. My mom disagrees with me and thinks it is completely fine for my 13 and 16 year old siblings to have computers in their room "because they would never do anything bad". Your thoughts? www.trenchesofmommyhood.blogspot.com
-Elizabeth

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  09:13:18 AM  Show Profile
Its not that your kids might do anything bad, its the bad people who are very good at befriending your kids. My kids grew up without computers, but now my G/sons are at the age of danger from those who would harm them. I would not let my kids/grandkids be on a computer unsupervised ever, its just not worth the risk.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  09:23:29 AM  Show Profile
Our computer is, and always has been, in a central location of the house. If the kids are on the computer, we are in the room (which is our living room/office/schoolroom where everyone is anyway if they aren't outside). They aren't allowed to be on the computer unsupervised or if we aren't around.

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  10:33:32 AM  Show Profile
My daughter has the computer right in open view in family room and kitchen, dining area. It is the other people that you have to watch out for. So we just play it safe.

Blessings, Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  11:05:49 AM  Show Profile
I agree with all of you. I think it is too easy for a good kid to just run across something they shouldn't see or get involved with a chat room where it is an adult posing as a child. Our computer is also in a central location and when our children are really old enough to make use of it they will be able to do so...but only in this central location where we can check in time to time. I will also have a parental block on it so that they don't accidently run into something appropiate.
Thanks for the feedback!
-Elizabeth
www.trenchesofmommyhood.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  11:24:45 AM  Show Profile
My husband is in the IT field and does most of his work on the web so he has a lot to say about this issue. He is firm in his belief that any computer that ever might be allowed in our children's bedrooms will be unable to access the internet. They might be able to word process for homework or something later on in High School or what not, but any internet usage will be done in the open/ common rooms of the house, where we can monitor. My husband also says that if they ever want access to social networking sites that he will require we have password access and he'll tell them he'll check their sites daily. He also says there are ways of monitoring internet usage as well. It might seem like an intrusion into privacy but we feel it is better to keep minor children safe.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Kids and computer dangers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page