delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  4:30:44 PM  Show Profile
Please keep my son in your prayers. He is 25, has graduated from college, looking for a job and is deaf. He is home with us now but, has met someone on line at a deaf dating service. She lives in England and is asking him for money to come to the states with. He is lonely because being deaf makes it hard to meet people. He is such a good person and is nice looking just shy.
Thank you,
delicia

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  4:40:42 PM  Show Profile
Do you know anything about the deaf dating service? Do they check to see if everyone on line is legit? That would concern me. My prayers are going out for your son that if he decides to do this, that he won't be hurt.

Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  4:57:26 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
My prayers are with your son Delicia!! I hope he meets someone very special and finds true love!! God Bless!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  4:59:16 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Brenda. It seems a little odd to ask someone you've never met for money over the internet. I pray it is not some sort of scam. You just don't know these days. We will pray for him.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  6:32:48 PM  Show Profile
That's never a good sign. I hope he really thinks about this and checks it out before sending anyone money. But what can you do? I just hope he makes the right choice and doesn't get too involved. He sounds like a very smart young man. Just a bit lonely. I'll be praying for him.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  09:14:40 AM  Show Profile
Tell him to be very careful. Some friends of ours have a soon who met someone on line using somewhat the same line and he lost lots of money. Sad when people do that!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  2:08:48 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your support and prayers. I t just does not feel right that someone would ask you for money. He has decided to tell her to not email him so much so I think that is good thing. I just pray that he finds someone special. He really is a great young man.

d
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  3:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad to hear that he is being careful! I am sure he will find someone wonderful!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  4:53:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad to hear he is being cautious. There are too many people out there willing to prey upon the kindness of others.
Is there a social group your son could join in your area? Maybe he could take a class at a local college (a great place to meet people). Can he do volunteer work in your community? I have a deaf son as well (who also has cerebral palsy) and he always tells me he wants a girlfriend. He has many girl friends, but no one special at this time. We just keep him as busy as possible.
I think the more your son becomes involved with different activities, the more his chances to meet someone wonderful will increase. :)

Karin

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
www.athreadofred.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  05:17:49 AM  Show Profile
Prayers sent. My husbands friend sent money to a girl who wanted to visit him...he never head from her again and her cell was disconnected. If he feels strogly about sending the money, buy the tickets from your end and dont wire any money.
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  3:09:09 PM  Show Profile
If she's asking for money not a good sign, hope he realizes that. Prayers sent.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  3:17:58 PM  Show Profile
I think that he realizes but, is so lonely that it is someone to dream about. It is hard when you want the best for your child but, do not know how to help them. We live close to Danville and there is a deaf college there. I am going to check and see about him doing some volunteer work there and I understand that there is several festivals for the deaf so I am hopeful that I can get him involved. We have tried the local deaf club but, they seem to be older people. The communication issue is huge with a deaf person. I do not know if this is true or not but, I read or heard that Helen Keller said that of the 2 deaf and blind that the deaf was the worst because of the communication. I truly appreciate your prayers.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  7:22:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh Delicia I do hope that the deaf college works out. He'll feel as if he's helping others while at the same time he'll be meeting so many understanding people. Let us know how it goes.

Blessings, Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  06:21:27 AM  Show Profile
Being deaf is very lonely and isolating. I have had hearing problems since I was 6 and am totally deaf in one ear. I now wear 2 hearing aids. So I know some of what your son is going through. We have a large deaf community in this area. The Rochester School for the Deaf is here and I know there are many social activities at the school and around the area. The one thing I reget is I never learned to sign. I made it through without signing, and of course as a child the thought of being different terrified me. Though I was anyway! I am very relieved that he has changed his tone with this girl. I am sure this is a scam of some kind. Encourage him to find the activities and places where deaf people frequent. Also because he is deaf doesn't mean he won't connect with a hearing person. It just has to be the right person. He just has to keep searching all avenues. God Bless him and I hope he finds much happiness.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  07:11:36 AM  Show Profile
Delicia, just read this and am praying for your son that something wonderful happens for him!

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  09:01:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm new here but am already feeling comfortable. Everybody please keep my step-son and family in your thoughts and prayers. He is a MSGT in the Air Force Reserve and is leaving tomorrow for combat training then will be shipped either to Iraq or Afghanistain, he will not know which until he leaves, and doesn't know if he will get to come home before he goes. This will be his 5th tour of duty. To everyone else who has a family member in the service, my thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.

Judy

*Love one another*
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  1:15:25 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane, James went to college in Rochester and is coming back to visit soon.

Thank you for your prayers. James is still looking for acceptance and he is doing some volunteer work at our church and he just loves that. He actually has been with hearing people most of his life as we do not really know any other deaf people. He knows that a hearing person may be the one to date and he is open to that. He wants to be with someone that is fun to be around and communicate with him. I pray he finds her.

Judy, I will pray for your family and your step son. That is an amazing gift that he is giving to us and I can not imagine how hard it is for you. Please let him know that I appreciate his sacrifice. If you wanted to email me his address I will be happy to send him cards etc... while he is away.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  2:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Judy, prayers sent for you son! Please keep us posted!

Delicia, I am sure your son will find a beautiful and fun loving girl that will love him with her whole heart! He sounds like a wonderful young man and I pray that he will find that special someone. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  05:43:38 AM  Show Profile
Delicia,

I thought I had send another message to you last night. My stupid must be in overdrive. I'm sorry for jumping in on your topic, after I sent my message I realized I was on the wrong thing. Duh...Bear with me, I'm new to this. Thank you for all of your kind words and the offer to send cards and such. We won't know for sure where he is for about 2 months. A really long wait, but there are alot of other families in the same situation.
I wish the best for your son and hope he finds all the happiness in the world.

Judy

*Love one another*
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  06:24:23 AM  Show Profile
Judy, Hello if your stupid is in overdrive mine is racing it.... I will be praying for you and your son and the families who have loved ones serving our Country. It is a huge sacrifice for all and I am so appreciative of all that they and their families mean to our country. It really touches me and what ever I can do I am here.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  5:06:29 PM  Show Profile
Delicia - just found this thread, and am hoping that your family is doing well and that your son is still being cautious about meeting new folks on the internet no matter what the situation. Thinking of you all!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  8:14:15 PM  Show Profile
Judy, prayers are leaving now that he remains safe and for you during the time he is gone.

Bless you, Brenda

Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2010 :  05:31:31 AM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone James is slowing down his communication so I just pray that he can find a nice girl here at home.

delicia
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic My Son Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page