alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  3:06:25 PM  Show Profile
So I thought I would make this that way we weren't bouncing between the threads for cheese making.

The last that I caught was sherrye asked about sour cream...

The book I own says,
1 quart table (20%) cream
1/4 tsp aroma mesophilic cuture

Heat cream to 75 degrees stirring gently to prevent scorching, remove from heat.
Sprinkle cuture and let stand 5 minutes. Using skimmer use and up and down motion to gently draw cuture down into cream, without breaking the surface of the cream. Cover and let ripen at room teperature for 24 to 36 hours.
place in airtight container and can be stored in the fridge for up to 10 days.

from 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes by Debra Amrein-Boyes

I am excited to try this one day, so I can't give experience, but it sounds simple enough

See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  7:31:20 PM  Show Profile
hi emily, i will try your recipe for sure. i made colby today. it has to press under 50 pounds for 12 hours etc. i think we will like it. maybe tomorrow ricotta. depending on how much milk buttercup gives me. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  8:24:08 PM  Show Profile
care to share your colby recipe?

See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  07:34:03 AM  Show Profile
sure be glad to share.no time now have to milk. will get on after i milk. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  5:36:04 PM  Show Profile
I am going to go out tomorrow and get myself some more milk... after I find suitable gloves grr! I saw the perfect pot at ollies bargain outlet to do a better water bath for heating the milk, yeah for only 5.99!

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  8:58:40 PM  Show Profile
sorry it took a while to get back online. i had to get a new laptop. tomorrow i will post the colby. it turned out the best so far.

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2010 :  12:37:35 PM  Show Profile
thats good news... do you have any idea where I can find citric acid?

--
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  07:58:58 AM  Show Profile
here is the colby recipe. 3 gallons pasteurized milk- 1/4 teaspoon masophillic-A culture... 1 and 1/2 teaspoon calcium chloride dissolved in 2 tblsp. distilled water.Annato color by choice.. 1/2 rennet tab crushed and dissolved in 1/4 cup water....1 tsp. plus 3 tblsp. flaked salt.....combine milk and calcium chloride diluted in water into a 16 quart pot.heat to 86 degrees slowly. add 1/4 tsp. meso A.. stir gently TURN OFF heat cover let sit for 1 hour to ripen.... after milk ripens dissolve 1/2 rennet tablet in 1/4 cup distilled water.at this time you may add the color. if you wait the rennet will cause it to be streaked.2 to 3 drops per gallon. i colored mine. papa wanted orange cheese.it looks pale. after pressing the cheese becomes more orange. i probably will not use annato. its just one more thing not truly natural....stir 1 tsp. flaked salt into rennet solution.stir this solution gently into the 86 degree milk.cover and let sit for 1 hour.or until milk shows a clean break....cut the curd into 3/8 inch cubes.... stir gently then let curd sit for 5 mins. raise temp of the curd 2 degrees every 5 mins. till you reach 102 degrees this should take 30 mins. i have very heavy surgical stainless steel pans,,,,otherwise a double boiler is recommended.gently stir once in a while to curd from matting.cover the curd and let rest for 5 mins. the curd will separate from the whey.pour off the whey till it is level with the curds.stir in cold tap water till temp. is below 80 degrees.hold the temp. at 80 for 15 mins. while gently stirring to keep the curds from matting. the temp off the cheese pot NOW determines the moisture content of your cheese. higher temp even slightly will give a drier cheese. cooler will make cheese moisture.....large colander in sink. pour curd and whey into colander. the curd is soft and moist at this point. mine were very soft but it worked...sprinkle 3 tblsp. cheese salt over curd.gently mix in with your hand. prepare a 24 inch piece of cheese cloth.....sterilized....PRESS...20 pounds for 20 mins. turn cheese over...press with 30 pounds pressure for 20 mins.turn cheese 50 pounds pressure for 12 hours....remove cheese from the press.. remove cheese cloth... put cheese cloth in the mold..return cheese to the mold upside down... press the cheese with 30 pounds 20 mins....turn cheese press 50 pounds 12 hours...remove cheese from press...unwrap cheese...mix 1 tblsp. flaked salt 1/2 cup water ...apply lightly to the outside of cheese...place on bamboo mat to dry... for 1 to 3 days turning 2 times a day.... when yellowish rind forms and is dry dry to touch it is ready for aging... wax cheese and age for 2 to 3 months at 40 to 60 degrees.....turn cheese over daily for 1 month.... several times a week there after.. ........i use this fresh and am now going to make a batch to age....i use only distilled water for every step. any questions let me know. i truly love this cheese. i would say well worth the effort sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  05:47:23 AM  Show Profile
sherrye, thanks for sharing the colby cheese recipe.
I need to get the culture, but definately want to make some once we are back in fresh milk.

One question, if you don't mind.
You said you use it fresh. Would that be before all the pressing or at what point would it be considered fresh? Maybe a silly question.....
Oh, one more question. Is the creamed skimmed from the milk?

Thanks
Christine
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  06:59:33 AM  Show Profile
HI christine, i use it fresh after all the pressing. i just made a batch yesterday to dry wax and age. its up to you for the cream. it calls for whole milk. my friends cow has way to much cream. so i do skim some. i think it needs the fat to make it smooth and creamy. i do skim before i make mozz. i tried it with whole milk way too rich. generally mozz. is made with skim. my recipe calls for whole so i changed it.hope this helps.sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  08:26:11 AM  Show Profile
Sherry do you ever have a class on making cheese? You dont live to far from me. I am going to start making something easy first. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  11:56:08 AM  Show Profile
yes i do classes. i also do organic gardening sustainable living classes. i am also a cold process soap maker. we grow all our own meat except seafood. we grow large gardens and can veggies and fresh tuna every year. we have rv parking and a park like setting. we have a four mountain snowy view and a calm farm environment. e-mail me and we can get together. i need warmer temps first. sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  07:49:18 AM  Show Profile
i do classes but i only charge for materials. you take product home with you. i accept donations for the class. so if you are cash challenged its ok. just need some sunshine and warm days first stay in contact and we can get together sherrye

farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  6:50:32 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, your the best. After last nights winds at my house and the lovely rain. I wonder if the sun is just hiding from us. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  12:10:14 PM  Show Profile
I got my citric acid from Frontier Herbs in Iowa. They have a web site. www.frontiercoop.com
Or else try www.cheesemaking.com Hope this helps.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  2:52:34 PM  Show Profile
I've been using kefir grains ( not recently) and villi ( regularly) to culture milk for cheesemaking. I used to help make hard cheese from goat milk that turned out like parmasian, but that was a long time ago. I could probably figure out how to do it again...
I just wanted to know if anyone makes buttermilk.
Also, villi culture used on half and half from the store ( I use organic )makes something a LOT like sour cream.

You spread 2 Tb of villi in a bowl, and pour up to a pint of half and half on top. Let sit, covered, at room temp for 12-16 hrs. Is should set on its own, and it keeps at least 2 weeks.
The resulting product can be stored for up to a month as villi starter, without being fed fresh milk or half and half. Villi makes a type yogurt similar to Caspain Sea yogurt, with a high yield of soft cheese per quart of villi. I heat mine to 100 degrees, strain, and sometimes press.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)

Edited by - MaryLD on Mar 24 2010 2:53:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  11:52:26 AM  Show Profile
Me and my friend made motzerella cheese today and it came out PERFECT. We were both so happy. We then also made a chevre and ricotta. All the hard work of milking the goats this week paid off!

--
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  6:07:28 PM  Show Profile
I've been using cultured buttermilk to make buttermilk cheese. Really simple. You can click the blog link below for a picture and the recipe.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  2:54:18 PM  Show Profile
what would you put that on?

--
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  11:05:47 AM  Show Profile
I am making feta cheese and a soft goat cheese today. I am getting lots of goat milk. Need to use it somehow. Is anyone else making feta? Or chevre? I want to make some of that too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  3:35:03 PM  Show Profile
We made goat cheese motzerella from here http://sugarmountainhome.com/milkncheese/mozzarella.html it came out perfect. I made a pizza from it and then with the whey I added vinegar and made ricotta which then with the leftover motz I made a lasagna

--
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  04:37:39 AM  Show Profile
Kris I have used the chevre recipe, with my cows milk. Makes a nice spread, that I flavor with whatever I am in the mood for. It is very simple to do. I use cultured buttermilk as a starter, and let it sit at room temp. over night, or until done. Got colby sitting this morning.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  05:48:20 AM  Show Profile
I have the book "Goats Produce, Too" and there is a recipe for molded soft goat cheese. It's 1/2 gallon of milk, 2 tbsp. culture or buttermilk,3tsp. diluted liquid rennet (dilution=1 drop liquid rennet into 1/4 cup cool water). Warm milk up to 72. Stir in buttermilk. Add 3 teas. of the diluted rennet. Stir thoroughly, cover and let sit 12-18 hours. It will coagulate and form curds. Then scoop into cheese molds. (It said 7-8 small 1 cup size) Place on a cake rack suspended over a pan for draining. Allow to drain for 2 days. Keep curds refigderated during this time.After draining cheese will reduce to 1 1/2 " in height and hold it's shape. Remove from mold and salt lightly. Cheese may be eaten plain or seasoned. It will keep refrdgerated for 2 weeks. You can also add herbs or spices when you scoop into molds. Layer as you pour.

Anyway, I thought this sounded really good and easy. But the question is about the diluted rennet. It says just 1 drop in 1/4 cup cool water then just use 3 taspoons. Does this sound right? I guess for soft cheese it does. I just have never made it before and don't want it to go wrong. Also that sounds like it makes alot of cheese for just 1/2 a gallon of milk. For feta I use 1 gallon and just get about a grapefruit sized ball and about a gallon of whey.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  05:52:11 AM  Show Profile
And when you make Chevre and want to season it, when do you add herbs and spices? I would love to make a colby cheese with the goat milk.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  5:21:09 PM  Show Profile
You season chevre, after it is done draining, before you eat it.
Yes put a drop of rennet in cool water and just use 3 teaspoons of the water/rennet mixture.
When I made it I got a cup to cup and a half of cheese out of a half gallon of milk. I like the recipe cause you get it mixed up and let it sit, very simple.
The goats produce too book was the one I first started with.
Cheese making is really simple just time consuming!
Good luck
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  05:41:41 AM  Show Profile
My Chevre turned out really nice. I am impressed. I added some garlic powder, salt and fresh chives to about 1 1/2 cups. I left about 1 cup plain for cream cheese. Then I want to make my own ranch dressing type seasoning and make the rest with that. I need some good crackers now and a nice bottle of wine. Yum.

I am going to make some hard cheese when I get more milk from these goats. My fridge out in the milk room has been staying about 48. I read on another forum where that's the perfect temp to store the hard cheeses with the wax. I was going to replace it with a newer one but I think I'll just keep it for cheese now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cheese making thread Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page