Page: of 3

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  07:25:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kris,

Here is the recipe I use for Ranch Dressing. It is from the Make-A-Mix cookbook.

2 teaspoons instant minced onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes

If you want to make salad dressing, add the above ingredients to 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup buttermilk. If you want a veggie dip, add to 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt. I think adding it to the cream cheese is a great idea!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  08:10:52 AM  Show Profile
OOH, thank you so much, Candy. I am going out in a little while and I will go to the store and pick some of this up. I can't wait to try it. I am going to make some more mayo too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  09:01:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I have put off trying to make mayo because all the cookbooks that I have say not to keep it more than a day or two. We just don't use it that quickly! What has your experience been?

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  10:50:42 AM  Show Profile
Hey Candy. I have the Rodale Cookbook. They have a really good easy recipe. It's a blender mayo. Inly makes about 1 1/2 cups.

1 egg
2 tbls. lemon juice or vinegar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 1/3 cup oil (I use safflower. It's the only oil I have tried that makes it thick for me)

Combine egg,lemon juice salt and mustard in a blender. Blend for about a minute. Then gradually add oil til it's incorporated. Stop and scrape down sides. Blend again a few seconds. Put into glass container and refridgerate.

My egg yolks are almost orange so it's not a white mayo but almost yellow. It's really good and so easy to make. It lasts over a month for me. Of course I used a cup with some fresh local buttermilk to make the ranch dressing. It is so good! Thank you for the recipe. I also made some of the mix to put in the Chevre cheese. It's so good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  1:04:44 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by alterationsbyemily

what would you put that on?

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com

We eat it on crusty Italian bread. It is also good with figs.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  2:34:42 PM  Show Profile
Shoot, I was just reading the recipes for the Chevre and I forgot to put it in the molds and drain for 2 days. I had the molds sitting on the counter and I put them away becuaes I didn't know what they were there for. I have no brain sometimes. But it's still good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  2:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kris,

Thanks for the mayo recipe! Now, if I only had a blender! Wonder if I could use my imersion blender?

I have been SOOO busy with work this week that I haven't had time to cruise the forums! Glad the ranch dressing recipe worked out for you!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  8:15:55 PM  Show Profile
Any body know of a place I could get enough for say a couple batches of motz.I really would love to try but I hate to buy enough for a ton of cheese and not like it.I have a Coop close that has some interesting things but the couple of health food stores I have asked in have no idea.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  06:04:26 AM  Show Profile
I've been using cultured buttermilk to make cheese, cottage cheese and sour cream. Super easy!

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  08:17:42 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I cannot find my cheese making book now. It's here somewhere. But I was going to make Chevre today. I already have the milk in the pot. Can someone please give me the recipe for Chevre from the Goats Produce too book? Thanks so much!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 01 2010 :  1:05:10 PM  Show Profile
I found the book!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  03:59:56 AM  Show Profile
Glad you found your book! I was just going to get mine and type it for you!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  05:26:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh thank you, Michele. I just got it to draining now. This is the easiest cheese to make for sure and I already have over half a gallon of whey so far. Last week I used the whey in the bread recipe instead of milk. I would like to know what everyone else used whey for. I know I can use it in soup. But too hot for that right now. I can't make ricotta because not enough rennet in it. Anyway, just wondered. If I had some good cabbage I'd make saurkraut. I am going to the Chatt. market today so might get a few there.

And it's not the Chevre that I am supposed to put in the molds. It's another cheese. So I did it right.

Thanks, Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on May 02 2010 05:26:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  07:45:15 AM  Show Profile
hey there kris, no worries when you get your pig ....you will know who gets leftover whey.... lol sherrye chickens love it too.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  1:23:21 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I sold my first cheese today!! Last week at Bible study a lady said she'd like some Chevre. I think I already told this. Anyway, I brought it to BS today and she was so excited to get it. I also put some homemade Ranch mix in a baggie and some fresh chives in another and some garlic salt with parsley in another one. So she can add what she wants to it. I hope I can sell some more.

Sherrye, I made bread this morning and used the whey instead of milk. I don't know if that's what made it rise way up over the top of the pans or not but it's so soft and pretty. Plus I used 3 huge eggs from Hildi, my only Americana hen. Her eggs are like jumbo size.

Anyone else making cheese with all their goat and cow milk yet? Jennie should have a calf soon and start milking Mona.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  3:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Hey Kris,

I will have to try that with the whey in the bread, although I actually usually use milk in most of the breads I make. Cool about selling some cheese! You go girl! I am not quite to the cheese making point yet but I think I will be later this week. I have a couple of people who get milk from me and since I only milk once a day, I just haven't had extra yet. I have been asked to bring homemade goat cheese and homemade crackers for 50 people to a public showing of a local agriculture/organic movie sponsored by the Farmers Market at the end of the month! Gotta think about how much and which kinds of cheese to make!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  7:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Candy, that sounds great. What kind of crackers do you make? I tried a recipe using ground seeds and whole wheat flour. They were really good. I have not really started milking full time yet. I have not needed a whole lot of milk. But the kids are going on 6 weeks and I am ready for them to go. Then I will have to milk.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 05 2010 :  6:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Hey Kris,

I make Norweigian Flatbread and Scandanavian Oatmeal Crackers, both from my old Better Homes and Gardens Old-Fashioned Home Baking cookbook. I made some whole-wheat crackers last year too but I don't remember where I got the recipe, guesss I'll have to keep looking! LOL!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  4:13:43 PM  Show Profile
For all you cheesmakers: Do you use animal or vegtable rennet? And why?
I want to buy some but can't decided which to go with.

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  6:33:36 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I use veggie rennet because I do not eat any animal that I don't know! Plus all the crazy cow diseases. So that's why I use veggie. I think there is a difference in the cheese made with each.

I have the old Rodale cookbook and it has a recipe for Thistle head cheese. I have thistle growing all over the place and I am going to experiment one day. Something in the flower head is like rennet and makes the milk curdle. Sounds interesting anyway.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - May 06 2010 :  7:18:01 PM  Show Profile
Is ther any type of organic animal rennet?

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - May 07 2010 :  1:42:14 PM  Show Profile
I also use vegtable rennet. I just thought it sounded better then using animal. :)
Candy I have that same cookbook, and we love norweigian flatbread. Make it when we have soup. Also I think it is the butter crackers that are excellant too.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 08 2010 :  04:49:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Well, I FINALLY made mayo yesterday using my immersion blender since I don't have a regular blender. It turned out great! I used some to make egg salad. I think I'll use some more tomorrow to make pasta salad for a BBQ we are going to on Sunday, think I'll throw in some peas from the garden too! :)

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 09 2010 :  7:08:38 PM  Show Profile
Candy, I keep forgetting I have an immersion blender and always use my smoothie blender. I guess the immersion would be so much easier to clean up. I made mayo yesterday for potato salad. I hope you had a good day today and everything turned out yummy!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  3:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kristin,

I made some chevre today! YAY! I had made three or four batches of queso blanco but this was my first batch of chevre. I seasoned some of it with garlic and chive, some with dill and left some plain. I am bringing cheese to a screening of a documentary called "Fresh - The Movie" being sponsored by the local Farmers Market this coming Friday. Should be an interesting movie, hope we can get some of the locals to come and get interested in supporting our Farmers Market.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cheese making thread Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page