Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Cold Mountain Next Topic  

sourjayne
worker bee

67 Posts

sarah
seattle washington
67 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2004 :  4:26:23 PM  Show Profile
I tried reading this book about a year ago, but I couldn't get into it. After hearing such good things about the movie, Taylor and I went to see it and we loved it.

After seeing the movie, I had to give the book another try. I found it much more enjoyable now that I had a way to picture the characters' physical attributes! The book really gives very little description of the characters. Given nothing to go on, I pictured average people, of average age, with average features... it just didn't keep my interest. Isn't that strange?

Once I finally got into the book, I fell in love. The language is just beautiful. I think it's the kind of book that, once I'm done, I'm probably going to read again and again.

Sarah (sourjayne)

No artificial sweeteners added.

taylor
honeybee

40 Posts

40 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2004 :  2:26:36 PM  Show Profile
I too am trying to read Cold Mountain after seeing the movie - but I have a problem, I am stuck at the spot where Innman is talking to the blind man and I keep reading that same page over again and I always fall asleep before I get to the top of the next page... Maybe I need to try reading on the couch!
Go to Top of Page

Farm Chick Teri
Farm Chick

6 Posts

Teri
Washington
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2004 :  7:44:48 PM  Show Profile
I read this book when it first came out and loved it! I was hesitant about going to the movie because I knew I would compare it to the book, but I really liked it. Although, I went with my two teenage daughters who were very bummed with the ending! The scenery and music was great, but I always prefer a good "read".

http://www.thefarmchicks.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2004 :  06:42:37 AM  Show Profile
I,too, loved Cold Mountain. Can't say I enjoyed the movie as much as the book, but (for me) it rarely happens that a movie can equal the book.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2004 :  07:50:58 AM  Show Profile
I really enjoyed Cold Mountain, the movie. I love to read books first and then see the movie. It is like hearing someone singing in the distance, and then getting close enough to see who it is. In other words, the visual is all the better when you have the art of the word already in your mind.

Dances with Wolves is another movie I loved, and there is a sequel book out called The Holy Road. I hope they make a movie out if it sometime.

This week I saw The Notebook, having read the book many years ago. What a visually beautiful movie, and what a love story. Take your tissues. Don't go expecting to be intellectually challenged; just go to enjoy.

Jeannie (jpbluesky)
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2004 :  12:42:35 PM  Show Profile
I find I enjoy reading the book, then seeing the movie. I read Cold Mountain and couln't wait for the movie to come out - I love any type of historical fiction. For awhile last year, I "was into" non-fiction: I read "Coal, A Human History", "Salt", "Cod" and "The Ice Masters". I refuse (though I am tempted) to read "A History of Dust"! I saw the movie "The Bridges of Madison County", never read the book but read the sequel "A Thousand Country Roads". A friend and I are going to see The Notebook, but I haven't read the book,
so thanks Jeannie for your recommendation.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Cold Mountain Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page