cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2004 :  4:58:30 PM  Show Profile
Well, as long as we're covering topics on what we like to do instead of TV, how about games? My hubby has been trying to teach me the games of "Hearts" and I'm having a horrible time catching on! We usually play the usual board games Monopoly, Scrabble, etc. and some card games (Rummy). Do any farmgirls out there remember the games we played when we were younger (for those of us who are older!) - jumprope with it's rhymes, goose-goose, school, how about "stone-teacher" - that's probably a regional one. Marbles comes to mind, and in summer we had pea-shooters and even water balloons. Guess we knew how to make fun that didn't cost too much!

good times to all /cecelia

ce's farm

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  12:51:07 PM  Show Profile
How about Hide and Seek, Swing the Statue, hula hoops, dodge ball, paper dolls, jacks, hopscotch, skating with those horrible things that attached to our shoes, waiting for the ice cream man, and running through the hose sprinkler....I dreaded it getting dark, because I had to come in and take a bath! Sometimes, my best friend and I would side by the side of the road and say "The next person that drives by will be your future husband", and then we would die of giggling whan a 90 year old man drove by in his straw hat.

My husband and I and a group of folks we know play hearts all the time. But I have never been able to shoot the moon and take all the hearts and the queen of spades! We also love to spread a giant jigsaw puzzle on the dining room table and let the whole family take turns working on it. My daughter used to sit there past midnight sometimes, she would get so hooked. I even took two of the finished puzzles to the frame shop and had them framed because they reminded me of those rainy family week-ends spent around the puzzle. They look really pretty on the wall.

My daughter and her husband and their couple friends play a lot of board games when they get together for dinner, and it is good to know that the art of sharing games is not lost!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  12:55:00 PM  Show Profile
And by the way, Cecelia, what is "Stone Teacher"? Sounds interesting!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  8:45:39 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering about that also...what is "stone teacher"?
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2004 :  1:50:23 PM  Show Profile
Wow!!! My third game of Hearts - I took all the hearts and the queen of spades - now if I can just figure out what I did!

We lived in the city when I was younger, we were pretty poor and didn't have a lot of "bought" games. Most of us had a stoop - stairs up to a porch or 2nd floor flat. Kids would choose someone to be the "teacher", who would pick up a small stone and hide it behind his or her back, in one hand. Kids would sit on the bottom step and take turns guessing which hand held the stone - when you guessed correctly you moved up a step until you got to the top (8th grade). Hence, "stone teacher": simple games for simple minds!

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Games - Board and Other Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page