rharbert1
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Veronica
Pittsburg KS
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  06:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! My daughter and I have harvested dandelions from our alley (gravel) because they do not spray there. Then we took them and planted them in pots (neighbors I'm sure think we're nuts!) so that we can move them away from those neighbors who spray or have a lawn service. We also pick them at the barn where we board our horses because they do not spray there. We made the dandelion greens pasta from the recipe in MJ Farm and it was great! Everyone here liked it and it was pretty simple and surprisingly rewarding! Thanks for posting the jelly recipe think I'll give that a try.
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  2:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Made dandelion jelly today. (Didn't follow the recipe exactly...used liquid Ball pectin and not liquid Certo pectin)and it just didn't gel properly. Still it IS delicious and can't wait to spread it on waffles and pancakes!

I'd like to give the dandelion greens pasta a try. Anybody have that one handy?

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  10:47:41 AM  Show Profile
Have any of you ever heard of a woman by the name of Linda Runyon? She's written books about wild greens and weeds. She teaches 'survivalists' how to find and harvest them and then how to cook with them.

A very interesting lady. When my sister worked for a local publishing co. that specializes in odd and hard to find books, they brought her to town and she cooked a meal with weeds and wild greens that she gathered from the fields around the house where she was staying. She did things like tea made with clover blossoms(I think) and I remember that she put dandelion greens the salad and there was something with sheep sorrel. She also used a weed that I have alot of...we call it button weed...in the casserole she made. It's apparently very high in protein.

The same woman also went into inner city Chicago and cooked for the people at a mission, I believe, using weeds she had gathered from the area surrounding the mission. I'm pretty sure you can find info about her books on Amazon.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  2:55:42 PM  Show Profile
See my recent post about using dandelion roots for dyeing on the stitching room- titled "what did I do wrong?"

While the roots were boiling away on my stove to extract the liquor for dyeing, the kitchen smelled just wonderful. Made me think I should make dandelion root tea sometime...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Kidrae
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

RaeAnn
Amarillo Texas
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  6:04:39 PM  Show Profile
I love dandelion lemon-aid. Pick fresh flowers (as many as you think) put in a gallon jar with water and 4 lemons. Then sweeten to taste.

Keep everything good in your heart and thoughts.
RaeAnn
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  7:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
wow that sounds so good RaeAnn! Thanks so much!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Dandelions - NOT a Weed! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page