JamieRose
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jamie
Crystal Lake IL
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  6:17:50 PM  Show Profile

Does anyone harvest their own dandelions to eat? I've been buying them and blending the greens into my morning fruit smoothie. Now that spring and summer are around the corner, I would love to use some from my yard. However, I live in a neighborhood where people use alot of lawn chemicals. We don't, but do the chemicals blow over and is it safe?
Any other ideas for dandelions?

Thanks!
Jamie

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  9:07:20 PM  Show Profile
Jamie:

I live in Washington state. Our native Makah indians made tea from the dandelion leaves. As a child we used to collect them and make tea. I haven't done this for years, though. I occasionally toss leaves in a salad.

If the chemicals your neighbors use are the typical weed/feed products used by landscape contractors and homeowners to keep lawns looking pristine (and unnatural) and they have not come in direct contact with your lawn by drifting of spray droplets or dust, leaching through soil or surface water runoff onto your property, it is probably safe to harvest yours. I would recommend avoiding any dandelions that are growing within at least 30-40 feet of a lawn or planting area that has been treated with chemicals just to be on the safe side. You can look carefully at your dandelion plants with a hand lens 7-14 days after a chemical application - if you see small round burn spots on the leaves, or any signs of disfigurement, wilting or other unusual symptoms it would be wise not to eat any part of the plant. It is always a good idea to wash leaves extremely well before eating regardless of where you harvest them. These are just guidelines and you must always trust your instincts and personal judgement on this topic as each person has differing views on the subject. You might also want to check with your local extension agency or master gardener for their suggestions. Humidity, temperatures, soil types and other environmental conditions vary from state to state and there may be different laws or health recommendations specific to your area.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

JamieRose
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jamie
Crystal Lake IL
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  05:25:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advise Marilyn!

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  07:13:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Good luck with your dandelion harvest this spring, Jamie! Last year I harvested about 4 large wheelbarrow loads full from my lawn. It was very neglected and had dandelions everywhere. I was able to make lots of roasted dandelion roots and have drank the tea whenever I have a sore throat which helps it a lot. I am looking forward to some tender new plants for salads this springtime!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  08:04:18 AM  Show Profile
I made dandelion jelly last year and have had lots of requests for it this year. I know there is another farmgirl that sells it on etsy too. I have a recipe for dandelion fritters that I'm going to try this year. I also love dandelion root tea. I think I'll have some now. Anyone care to join me?

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  08:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I have dandelion wine on my to-do list this spring. Can't wait. I am also hoping to harvest the petals to add a little color to homemade paper projects.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.Prosserfarmgirls.ning.com

Go to Top of Page

Patty MorningRamble
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Patty
Keene TX
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  08:34:43 AM  Show Profile
I make syrup from the flowers...here is my recipe http://morningramble.blogspot.com/2008/04/soon-to-arrive.html

http://morningramble.blogspot.com/
http://morningramblegifts.com/
Go to Top of Page

JamieRose
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jamie
Crystal Lake IL
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  1:19:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recipe Patty, I will have to try that when the dandelion come up this year.

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  4:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Yup Dandelions are not just weeds. They are great for your liver! And its a great blood purifier ( not sure how to spell that. lol). They are bitter so I mix them in a salad or green smoothie. They are really, really good for you raw! And to think that people throw them away. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  7:50:45 PM  Show Profile
That is so true Channah! They are also good for the kidneys. The are diuretic and contain lots of potassium which would be depleted with chemical diuretics.

I made dandelion fritters this weekend and my kids loved them.

I also made pesto with another 'weed'...chickweed. Yummy!

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  09:10:27 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Tanna! It is amazing how a little weed can do so many wonderful things! It just goes to show how God is just amazing!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  09:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Yes Channah. I use the dandelion as that illustration all the time. Man-made diuretics deplete potassium yet the diuretics found in nature also contain potassium. It is amazing.

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  4:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I love to use herbs to heal diffrent aliments. Its wonderful!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

bjhuff
True Blue Farmgirl

325 Posts

Betty Jo
Sturgis South Dakota
USA
325 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  4:01:34 PM  Show Profile  Send bjhuff an ICQ Message
This is so awesome if any of you have information on how t do jelly let me know I get some every year from an Amish friend and love it but would like to do some my self also I would like to know how to make smoothie and tea with root we have a little bit before they start coming up we are still in snow so want to be ready!!! THanks so much for the great information!

***BettyJo****
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  5:29:15 PM  Show Profile
This is the recipe I use for Dandelion Jelly:

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Dandelion-Jelly-90601

Everyone loves it!

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  7:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks soo much Tanna!! I really want to give it a try.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  2:20:02 PM  Show Profile
What in the world does dandelion jelly taste like? I know the leaves are pretty darn bitter, what about the blooms?

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  2:23:23 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and how do you make the root tea? Do you rinse the root and let it dry or do you use it fresh? Does it matter when you harvest the roots? None of my myriad dandelions have blossomed yet and my DH hasn't applied any weed stuff yet either, so if I'm going to do it, it has to be now. If he put something down in the fall, should I look elsewhere? There sure seem to be a lot of dandelions coming in, so if he did it was a waste of time and money!

Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  2:36:40 PM  Show Profile
mrs amy to dry the roots you have to put them in the oven on low for about 2 hours. you cant hang dry them.

I just started a batch of dandelion oil today! I use it in my ghost tours to ward off evil spirits.

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  2:44:14 PM  Show Profile
Tanna,
How do you make fritters out of them?
Connie

LULU

Take care and write soon.

When you wish upon a star...Jiminy Cricket
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  3:58:51 PM  Show Profile
Lulu,

This is pretty much how I make dandelion fritters:

http://www.learningherbs.com/dandelion_recipes.html

My kids love them!

(I have to mention that one of my buff orpington hens is named Lulu and we just love her)

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  7:09:15 PM  Show Profile
We cooked dandelion flowers yesterday. Didn't have a recipe so kinda made it up as we went along. I picked all the flowers before my hubby cut the grass behind our office and had a small bag full. Washed them gently in cool water, drained them well. Beat an egg and then thinned it with a little milk. Dropped the flowers in the egg to coat them, took them out with a fork to let the excess egg drip off and then put them in a bowl with a mixture of flour, a little cornmeal, salt, pepper, and garlic (maybe some other spice, my daughter mixed it up).
Stirred them up good with the flour (had to use my hands to separate the flowers)until the were coated and them fried them in a little olive oil until lightly brown. They were so good and my husband even liked them.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  4:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Really Kathy?!?! I never would have thought of that. Thanks so much!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  4:32:23 PM  Show Profile
Amy,

Dandelion jelly tastes similar to honey with a bit of lemon since there is lemon in the recipe.

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  4:56:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the help. I'm hoping the rain we're getting gets the dandelions blooming! Haven't looked forward to dandelions since I was a kid! Definitely going to give it a try.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2010 :  8:56:21 PM  Show Profile
I love making dandelion jelly and will be able to do it again soon. I just posted my recipe on another thread where someone asked for it.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Dandelions - NOT a Weed! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page