alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  3:28:30 PM  Show Profile
Alright, I don't know about you guys, but there is a serious tick issue in my house. We are not remotely at infestation, but I woke up with multiple double bites on my ankles and arms. I found a tick between my toes yesterday and got him out before any damage was done, but I am getting quite irratated.

Does any one know if there are any oils to help ward ticks off. Would tea tree oil help?

Please help!
Em

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  4:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Emily! Here is a great recipe I found for you!

Pour 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil into a clean, empty shampoo bottle, preferably a travel size. Vegetable oil can be purchased at your local grocery store and does not have to be fancy or expensive. The least expensive vegetable oil will suffice for this recipe.

Step 2Add 1 tbsp. of aloe vera gel and shake the closed bottle vigorously to mix. Aloe vera gel is thicker than the other ingredients, so shake the bottle for one minute to mix, and shake again before using. You can purchase aloe vera gel at your local drugstore. If you own an aloe plant, you can also scrape the insides of an aloe leaf in order to get 1 tbsp. of aloe gel.

Step 3Add 25 drops of rose geranium essential oil to the mixture. You can purchase rose geranium essential oil at your local health food store or online (see Resources). Rose geranium essential oil is a natural tick repellant, as they do not like the smell or taste of the oil.

Step 4Add 25 drops of lavender essential oil to the mixture and shake vigorously for 30 seconds to mix. You can purchase lavender essential oil at your local health food store or online (see Resources). Lavender is another herb that ticks do not like the scent or taste of, and essential oil concentrates this scent and taste into a strong concoction that ticks won't touch.

Step 5Rub on your body before tick exposure. Squeeze a dime-size amount of the repellent into your hands and rub on any exposed area of your body, including your hands, arms, ankles and neck. Instead of latching onto your skin, the ticks will fall off onto the ground after smelling and tasting the repellent on your body.

Here is another one too.

Place a funnel into the top of a 12-ounce or larger bottle.

Step 2Pour 10 oz. of organic jojoba oil or organic aloe vera gel through the funnel into the bottle. The jojoba oil or aloe vera gel serves as a base to dilute the neem oil. The oil is more effective at making the natural tick repellent stick to the skin or fur, but some people find the oil to be too greasy. If you prefer, substitute the jojoba oil for a different base oil, such as almond or olive oil.

Step 3Pour 1/2 oz. of organic neem oil through the funnel into the bottle.

Step 4Fasten the spray nozzle lid onto the bottle and shake the bottle for five minutes to combine the ingredients.

Step 5Shake the natural neem tick repellent before each use. Spray it lightly onto the fur of pets, avoiding the face, once every two weeks. Apply the neem oil liberally onto your skin before hiking or going into wooded areas

Hugs!!
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  8:04:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Channah. I think this would be cheaper to use for the animals than the stuff I buy at the vet or feed store. It's about $50 for a 3 month supply. And with 3 dogs it does not last long. And 6 cats. So I will try this on them. I had heard about the neem oil.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - May 12 2010 :  8:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Your welcome Kristin.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - May 13 2010 :  06:08:13 AM  Show Profile
Thank you channah, I am very upset and can barely sleep, I have to be tested for all sorts of illnesses. I have been healthy my entire life and now i am getting sick, but it might be nervousness

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic ___ oil vs. ticks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page