Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Am I just too paranoid?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Am I just too paranoid? Next Topic  

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  2:04:10 PM  Show Profile
I swear if my family and friends knew the true length my hubby and i go to in order to cut down use of unnatural ingredients in food and personal products, they'd think we were nuts! Sometimes I wonder if we go too far, but to me, the risks don't outweigh a possible outcome which could come in the form of cancer or any amount of other health problems. I just don't feel like risking our health in the future (we are almost 30).

We've cut down on high fructose corn syrup by homemaking many foods. I would like to go so far as homemaking as much as possible to cut down on harmful preservatives and additives. we've switched from using plastics and aluminum to using pyrex, glass, and stainless steel for fear of BPA and aluminum poisoning. want to get rid of most canned goods as well. homemake deoderant to get rid of aluminum. homemake toothpaste and mouthwash to get rid of fluoride.

We want to homemake or buy natural soap, shampoo, conditioner and hair products, and lotion. i'd also like to look more into makeup after hearing of a local woman who believes she got cancer because of the unnatural ingredients included in makeup products.

DH and I feel we are making good choices for our health. I also believe by cutting some of these things out of our diet, i've lost weight and kept it off without drastically altering my diet and exercise regimen! But most people just give us that look like we're crazy and go on their merry way. and at times, when we are visiting family and friends, i feel almost spoiled... when i decline a soda or things with bad ingredients. or if we're cooking and i replace an ingredient with a healthier one. this all happened over thanksgiving... i took it upon myself to homemake all the bread for stuffing, not buy premade pie crust and use veggies out of my garden for pie and casseroles.... my family raved about the difference in quality, but at the same time gave me the look, like "why would you go through all the work?"

to me, it's not work. it's my job as a housewife to keep me and DH as healthy as possible. i enjoy this "work" immensely anyway!

So, my question is, does anyone else feel this way at this at times? Am I just paranoid? Should I just go with the flow and eat like "everyone else?" At times i think it would be easier to be like the majority. but at the same time, i like standing apart from everyone else!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  5:54:44 PM  Show Profile
I don't think you're paranoid at all--I think mosr people either don't know or don't care about the chemicals and other stuff that ends up in our food, cosmetic, cleaning supplies, etc. I spent this weekend making my own soap and hand lotion and I recent;y gave up meat for Lent but I'll probably give it up permently since I used to be a vegetarian. I've already lost a couple pounds (when I was a vegetarian I never had any trouble with my weight). I've been listening to Jane Goodall's book Harvest for Hope, and if you haven't read it yet, I highly recommend it. When you read about the big corporations (Monsanto, Dow) and what they're doing to our food supply, it's enough to make anyone change the way they eat. I have a garden planned for this spring and I want to work on getting an herb garden started. I've even changed the way I feed my dog. People may think I'm nuts but I prefer to think of it as "enlightened". We live in a dysfunctional society so I don't feel weird about being different. So no, you're not paranoid--just aware.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  6:04:48 PM  Show Profile
Nope, you're not too paranoid at all. You are just doing what you feel is right for you and your husband. No one should judge you or try to change you in any way. You are doing what I am trying to do. Grow all our food and raise all our meat here. I am also making soap and all cleaning products.

So you just keep on with what you are doing. Not only is this helping you, but the environment also. You have much less waste and you don't use a lot of gas going back and forth to grocery stores. So good for you. Keep it up. Don't let other people sway how you think. There needs to be a lot more young people like you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Ozark Farm Girl
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Maryan
Green Forest AR
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  6:10:40 PM  Show Profile
You are not paranoid, just becoming aware. I grew up in a vegetarian home, my folks grew a garden and home canned or froze all our vegies. Mom made bread with organic wheat that she was ground into flour at home. We had goats, because I was alergic to cows milk. I grew out of that for a few years, but now that I am over 40 the allergies have come back, I have migrains, and other health problems that I feel sure have to do with what I put into my system. I am beginning to do as much natural as possible. My DH does not understand yet, but he has a weight problem and other health problems that we will see how they react. I agree with you completely, we have poisoned ourselves and are now paying for it. Keep up the good plans, you will continue to be healthier and happier.

Maryan
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  7:12:18 PM  Show Profile
I wouldn't say you are paranoid at all. Just what the rest of us are trying to accomplish. You go!! MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  4:36:29 PM  Show Profile
I knew there were like-minded farmgals on here! sometimes i just have to chat with people like you to remember i'm not the only one! yes, i forgot to mention cleaning products, too.... am switching those over, too! vinegar and essential oils go a long way and borax is my new favorite porcelain cleaner!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  05:44:14 AM  Show Profile
I went out yesterday with a friend just to goof of and go shopping. She wanted to go to Sam's. I do not go there myself but thought I'd get some cat food. I just got to looking at all the ingredients labels and boy, there were some things that had 5" of ingredients! I looked at a few and there were things on it I had never heard of before. And most of it was on bread labels. And people eat that stuff. And we wonder why American people are so sick and full of diseases. The food companies are trying to kill us all! And they are succeeding at an alarming rate. It is so scary.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  2:48:30 PM  Show Profile
oi... i know, i've thought of changing our pet food. it's hard to find any natural ingredients in the top 5....

i suppose it's a chain reaction.... we are eating all this junk that is put into our food. then the medical companies take over and make us think we are all hypochondriacs. but maybe we are sick, from what is being put into everything? i don't know... that's another wonderful side effect i've noticed after becoming more healthy - i rarely get sick! with any kind of sickness. like every 3-4 years now is when i'll get sick. even when i was going to school and half the class would be gone from being sick and some people would still come to school sick and coughing everywhere, i wouldn't get sick! and if i feel a cold coming on, i quick get home, take some echinacea, vitamin C, drink some green tea, rest, and the next day i'm right as rain! i also credit drinking green tea like crazy to having a healthy immune system, too....

i noticed a new wal-mart commercial advertising their low prices, but when they show what people can buy, they show a family buying frozen dinners, prepackaged snacks, and "fake" bread. i primarily shop at wal-mart for their low prices, but i don't buy that stuff at all! it's sad what people consider healthy.....

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  5:15:42 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I really admire you for taking a stand. The girls I work with go as far as to make fun of me, the food I bring. They cannot imagine baking their own bread, and stop at a fast food place on the way to work because there "wasn't time" to fix something. It takes less time to fix an egg sandwich than it does to wait in line at McDonald's. I try to lead by example, but they just are not interested, some of them go to a fast food place EVERYDAY. Now I ask you, what is faster than grabbing an apple? That is the ultimate fast food! I'm grateful my DH is supportive, and my oldest son eats only organic, my daughter tries to. It's too expensive for us but I do buy the things we eat the most of organic. Ad try to make everything I can myself so we know what we are getting.

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  5:54:38 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, your ambitions are what make this website fabulous! You are working toward the same goals that most of us are working toward. And what a blessing to be able to stay at home and do those things!!

On the subject of pet food, if I remember correctly you just have the one dog, I think. You could make your own dog food. I have done this before, but I've got 7 dogs and so it's not practical, I'd spend all my time cooking dog meals!! LOL!!! Rice and vegetables are great for dogs, combined with some protein source such as lamb, beef, eggs or chicken, it will make an ample meal for your dog. In the past, when I have cooked "dog meals" I have used brown rice, peas, carrots and ground beef. :) And, if you are eating all natural and organic foods, scraps are great for pets. I'm sure not everyone would agree, but I've raised many animals in my lifetime on table scraps. And they all lived long, happy, healthy lives.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  6:18:34 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying to "convert" my best friend to the farmgirl life but she's a suburbanite who eats on the go. I gave her a copy of MJF but she's still resisting. Oh well, I'll just use some friendly persuasion and she'll eventually come around. I think there are times when she feels so overwhelmed by raising three kids that she just doesn't have time to --take the time to slow down. And living in the suburbs is, in my opinion, stressful in itself. I'm trying to encourage her by my actions, since the way we live speaks more loudly than anything we say. It's taken me several years to get to the place where I can successfully live out my convictions. Actually, it's been a lifelong process, I just became more aware of the food industry in recent years. Americans are spoiled when it comes to food, ie., they can get almost anything they want whenever they want it. But they're poorer too, so many people are in poor health because of their eating habits. And the food industry wants to export the American diet of fast food and frozen dinners to developing countries. If I can encourage one other person to plant a garden, I'll feel like I've accomplished something worthwhile. If many people take small steps, it adds up to big change. And even the big corporations like Monsanto can't stop the tide from turning.

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

OhioValley Farmchick
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Lisa
Waterford OH
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  03:56:53 AM  Show Profile
I think is it great what you are doing. We have made many of the same changes. My grocery shopping is so different from a couple years ago. I read ingreadients and research how to make more things at home. I'm stuggling with shampoo and conditioner.
Results: Our health is better, we know how to treat illness without pharmacutical medicines and we spend a lot less at the grocery store. I applaud what you are doing. The majority is not always the best path.
Lisa
Farmgirl #953

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might...Ecclsiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  5:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Carol, that's silly that your co-workers would make fun of you for the food you bring! but i'm guessing they don't know how good homemade food is! my master plan to help convert friends and family is when they come over or if i bring food to them, i cook as i normally would, they rave, and maybe after tasting how good it is, they'll think about homemade food more!

prarihawk, you are right...i think a big part of the problem is this fast paced life society has created for us. i think the same goes for your situation, Carol, that people have become so lazy and uncreative they can't imagine putting together a healthy meal the night before going to work. they just don't want to think about it. and, i agree, people have become VERY busy. but is it worth it? worth all the stress and health problems? yes, leading by example is the best way to show the world how to change! i'm so grateful i'm able to stay home and have it be my job to come up with healthy meals and snacks and be able to excercise every day.... i wouldn't trade it for the world!it's also taught me how to slow down and enjoy life. i call myself a "zen farmgirl".... zen and farming go hand in hand because both involve slowing down and being aware.

sarah, that sounds very easy to homemake dog meals! too bad my cat probably wouldn't eat it... he won't eat anything but his cat food! not even treats! spoiled the OTHER way around....

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Miss2Missus
True Blue Farmgirl

407 Posts

Karen
Asheville NC
USA
407 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  5:01:34 PM  Show Profile
I commend you on your efforts elizabeth. and honestly its quite sad that we have to make an effort to eat naturally when the way the wolrd works the earth was made to support us pretty good with out us adding crap in it. you're actually a good inspiration. thanks.

Karen ^_^

www.miss2missus.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  1:33:16 PM  Show Profile
I don't think you are crazy either - we should all be paranoid about the stuff that is available as food these days - all those ingredients that aren't actually anything that exists in nature. What was that old saying - "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you"
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

tawandasister
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Sadiemae
Wolcottville Indiana
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  8:19:26 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I have been learning so much here recently about our food and I feel so...ugh...about what we have put into our bodies in the past...and now with children...

We are trying to buy everything as organic as we can afford and make everything else! I LOVE homemade food...but you ladies are right the hardest part is those around us, sometimes even family members who think you've really just jumped off the deep end...but how can the way we process our food and the trends in our health NOT be related??

Oh - I can't wait till we can get a farm of our own to expand the things we grow and nurture our bodies with... Thanks for all the kindship and encouragement on here! It is so good to hear everyone else's stories...

Thanks for starting this thread Elizabeth!
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  2:58:40 PM  Show Profile
A conversation between my 2 daughters that I overheard in the mid 70s.
Daughter #1 to daughter #2. "I'm old enough to remember before Mom got smart and even let us eat Fruity Pebbles"
Yep. never did let the junk in my house and now my daughters are grown and only eat organic.
Hooray
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  09:04:04 AM  Show Profile
ha ha! awesome!

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  09:21:28 AM  Show Profile
gals, i just wanted to say it's SO nice to have a place to go where I don't feel like an outsider about this stuff... and it's also a great thing if we can inspire others to at least consider a healthier lifestyle. i never feel out of place bringing up different conversation topics on here like i might in the "real" world where others live differently than i do!

Finally cleaned out my basement/food storage last week... got rid of lots of canned food we won't eat and donated them to a local halfway house. replaced all of our canned beans with dried and stocked up... my DH goes crazy with that kind of stuff! will be attempting to make homemade crackers this week, as well as homemade cream of mushroom soup and veggie stock to freeze. it's SO nice to have a basement to store all of these things... i call it my store. every time i need something, i tell my hubby "i'm going down to the store... do you need anything?"

i commend you, ladies, for also trying to live a healthy lifestyle, doing what you can! and thanks for listening to my rants, too!

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  10:16:13 PM  Show Profile
I think your efforts are wonderful.
Hey, you can laugh at them when everyone is in their "golden years" and they are all stove up and complaining about everything and you and hubby are out working in the garden or teaching the great-grandchildren to bake.
My family made fun of my diet [extreamly clean since 1992]. Now my Dad is learning to cook from scratch because the VA nutritionist got on him about colestural and weight control.
[How can weight be controled if the boxes and cans that are ate out of are full or corn syrup and such? The worst is that those boxes don't have any food in them. I call them false calories. There's no nutrition for the calories that are being consumed. Ugrrgh!].

I've adjusted so many things in my life to be healthy. Cotton clothes, natural cleaners, healthy food. It takes a toll if we don't get back to the good stuff.
When I used to show Dad the organic or good stuff he'd say, "But it's too expensive."
One time when he said that I asked him, "What are you worth?"
Smiles!
Carla

It's not just Life-
It's an Adventure!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Am I just too paranoid? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page