Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Dose anyone use a flour grinder?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Dose anyone use a flour grinder? Next Topic  

redring
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Miranda
southbend in
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  12:12:47 AM  Show Profile
I need to buy one. I think gluten free will be by far cheaper if I do.But im worried. I keep seeing really bad rating that say the grinders being sold as flour grinders dont do any better than rough mill. Any suggestions on a grinder for fine rice flour between $30-$60? I dont really have a budget for this.

thanks all!

http://barterkitty.blogspot.com/

Working tward a self efficent life = happyness

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  06:33:26 AM  Show Profile
I mill (grind) my own flour. We have been doing this for about 3 years now and I will never go back. The only thing I don't mill is white flour and we don't use very much of it. We have the Country Living Mill and is rather expensive. I really don't have much experience with any other models, I would suggest watching e-bay or craigs list for one.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  10:27:29 AM  Show Profile
I have a Nutrimill grinder. Love it. But, can't grind soft grains or it will clog. I have just used my blender for rice flour and some of the other softer grains.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  3:49:59 PM  Show Profile
I know it is very expensive, but the vita-mix blender comes with a dry blade for grinding grains and it works wonderful, even with the hardest berries. I bought a new one which was close to $500, I know, I know, but I also found one at a flea market for $25 dollars. It was the older model but works fine. The thing about a vita-mix is that you can use it for about 20 other things in the kitchen. I could never part with mine. I might use it 10 times a day to make everything from bread to soup. Just keep your eyes peeled at estate sale etc.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

redring
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Miranda
southbend in
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  01:08:48 AM  Show Profile
thanks all! I think most of my grains are not very hard. rice, corn,buckwheat ect. Ill keep looking. :)

http://barterkitty.blogspot.com/

Working tward a self efficent life = happyness
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  4:57:20 PM  Show Profile
I now have a Country Living mill, but when I was looking to buy I googled it to be able to compare what was out there. Two things I was looking for was ease of turning and fineness of grind. There were charts that listed these.
I believe that at the time Lehman's had one in your price range that was supposed to be good.
I would say do your research because some mills that were marketed are not worth your money.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  6:20:22 PM  Show Profile
I have a Whispermill(electric). I really don't know why they call it that...because it's anything but quiet. Actually, it sounds like a jet engine. Mine leaks a little too, so I tend not to use it very often.

We also have a hand grinder from Back to Basics. It cost me about $30, new in the box on eBay. It takes a lot of muscle, but it makes nice flour.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  8:14:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 1930sgirl

I have a Whispermill(electric). I really don't know why they call it that...because it's anything but quiet. Actually, it sounds like a jet engine. Mine leaks a little too, so I tend not to use it very often.

We also have a hand grinder from Back to Basics. It cost me about $30, new in the box on eBay. It takes a lot of muscle, but it makes nice flour.

Joyce

haha- I have yet to hear of a quiet electric mill. I have a k-tec grinder and it also sounds like a jet taking off. I don't know if it would be good for softer grains,though. It works well, but I only use it for whole wheat grinding.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Dose anyone use a flour grinder? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page