Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Any Quilters out there?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any Quilters out there? Next Topic
Page: of 3

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  07:45:48 AM  Show Profile

This is one I just finished last night I am giving it to a neighbor as a house warming gift.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  11:36:43 AM  Show Profile
grama that is amazing... you have a very lucky neighbor

See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  1:47:09 PM  Show Profile
Diane what a beautiful quilt, I hope your neighbor enjoys it. Toni
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  1:50:18 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is a beautiful quilt Diane!!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  2:18:44 PM  Show Profile
Diana,
That is a beautiful quilt, I'm sure your neightbor is going to love it. I love to quilt. I've done a few on the machine, but I prefer to do the whole thing by hand if I can. I just finished hand piecing a lap sized postage stamp quilt and I am now hand quilting it. I would so love to get better at the hand quilting. I find I am always ripping it out and starting over. I'm also working on a tumbling blocks and an around the world using mixed drunkards paths blocks. I would love to hear what everyone else is working on.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

quiltingfarmergirl
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Barbara
Cato NY
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  6:08:26 PM  Show Profile
Diana,
That is a beautiful quilt that you made. Is it mostly applique? How is the sky and background done? I would love to make one like that. Did you follow a pattern or is it your own design?

Barb
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  7:58:25 PM  Show Profile
It is from a book and it is all pieced You do it in 8 seperate sections and then sew the blocks together. you might have 30 pieces that are in a section. No applique at all.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  4:54:57 PM  Show Profile
I do make quilts. I love it! My great great aunt showed how when I was a young girl. Have made baby quilts and wedding quilts for just about everyone in my family. Also have made a few memory quilts (with photos printed on fabric) for a few friends and family. Nothing better than a homemade quilt.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  9:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is so cool Christy!!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  1:55:03 PM  Show Profile
I am currently working on a sister's choice scrap quilt using directions i found online at quiltville.com. I have always wanted to be more organized with my fabrics and other supplies and while surfing the web I found this website. It is so cool and very easy to follow ...i started quilting in 1980 because the apartment my dh and i lived in was sooooo cold! Made a good bunch of quilts, only have 2 of the first ones i made still. the very first one was a red and green log cabin quilt that still hangs in my workroom, the other one was a blue and white storm at sea pattern for my dh and it hangs in the bedroom. I went away from quilting for awhile but I am back and loving every minute that I can spend in my room with my fabrics...even my dh is helping out by ironing my fabric for me before I cut and sew it.
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  03:33:14 AM  Show Profile
Love to quilt (actually I love to piece and tye, not really quilt too much). My first was a queen size double irish chain. LOVE it. Done lots of little things like lap quilts and baby quilts, but very simple patterns. Paper piecing is awesome, but I'm the queen of UFO's. The last things I've done were Lasagna Quilts...so quick and easy using scraps. Take those larger scraps and cut them to the same width (I chose 4") and just keep sewing strips together end to end until it is the as long as you want your quilt to be wide. Then just keep randomly sewing strips on, trimming them at the end until you have a quilt top. It looks a lot like taking all your legos and stacking them one on top of the other to make a big wall.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  8:55:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amy, I wish we lived closer together and I would clean your house for tieing one of my quilts. (:

Dawn

Small farm farmers rock!
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  9:28:15 PM  Show Profile
Melody, Could a beginner join the Quilt Chicks Henhouse? I sure would like to give this a try!

Blessings, Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Bugabee
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Kristie
Lugoff South Carolina
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  05:45:58 AM  Show Profile
I have done a few story quilts. I really enjoy the story quilts because you search for fabrics and scraps you can use to start a story. I found the cutest gingerbread fabric and I used it for a story about gingerbread people. When I gave it to my friends daughter I had the privlage of telling her her first story on the quilt. We had so much fun. We didn't stop until two hours later. We ended up one exhausted story teller and one very satisfied sleep girl.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it annoys the pig!
Old Folk Saying.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  07:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I've seen pictres of story quilts and would love to do one!! They are really beautiful!! Kristie, is it hard to make one?
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

Ann Bernadette
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Ann
Hiawattha KS
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  10:45:30 AM  Show Profile
Quilting has become a passion for me. I have many hobbies, but quilting is the staple of them all. Reading comes in at a close 2nd, however my favorite reading subject is about guess what? . . . Quilts! i.e., Elm Creek Series and "The Persian Pickle Club". My Grandmother handpieced and hand quilted all of her quilt and that is an art I aim to keep, however have to admit I love to sew on my machine too.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  5:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Hi Channah and quilters:
I am a want-to-be quilter. I try, and try, and try. Everyone says, "It's so easy". Not to me. I have ten thumbs. But, I love, love, love quilts. Asiyahk, that sure is a beautiful quilt.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Bag Lady Diva
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Viola
Spearfish South Dakota
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  08:59:16 AM  Show Profile
If you were to ask my hubby "Does your wife quilt" he would answer "I s Mt Rushmore a National Monument?" Yes, and Yes I am a quilter. I started quilting in 1992 when I attended by first Quilt Retreat. I was hooked after that. I belong to the Thimble berries Club thur the local quilt shop. As to how many quilts I have made, well lets say I have made a bunch of them. I give them to charity, friends, family members ect. My grandaughter said the magic words last week. She said "Grandma I want to make a quilt" I will have to wait a few years, she is only 2 1/2 yrs old. I love traditional patterns. I quilt my own quilts. Love this hobby. I am glad that I am retired, so that I have more time to quilt.

Quilting in the Black Hills
Go to Top of Page

Ann Bernadette
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Ann
Hiawattha KS
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  6:21:06 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I wanna know about the Quilt Retreat, or at least A Quilt Retreat to go to. And talk about being hooked? I dream about quilting. I also love traditional patterns. I would so enjoy being a part of a quilting circle or club but cannot seem to get any takers. If there is a Quilt Retreat up in the Black Hills, please tell me about it! Wouldn't it be great if some of us could meet up at a reteat? And I was hoping to find some friends on here w/ the same passion for quilting as I have. Maybe we could do a Round Robin or something like that or Cross Country Quilters. What do ya think?
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  9:55:47 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I love your idea Ann! I wish we could all meet up too! Just think of all the fun we would have!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  12:29:18 PM  Show Profile
Is anyone else interested in a Round Robin? I know that Ann Bernadette said that she was interested. Would love some feed back. We could exchange a certain size block with two colors? Black and white or yellow and blue or red and green? What do you think? Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  8:21:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

I would be up for a Round Robin. Not sure what it is, but I will be happy to join. I have made a lap quilt recently. It is made using a pattern called a split nine patch. I used 3 1/2" blocks for the nine patch. I had some fabrics I bought to make a color blended quilt and never made it. I had around 8-10 different fabrics in soft colors. A variety of large and small prints, checks, tone on tone.

I think it would be great for a beginner and make a very interesting quilt. A split nine patch is made by making a nine patch and then cutting it down the middle of the center blocks. Then you arrange them as you wish.

I would be glad to send out instructions if this sounds like one that might be enjoyed by all.

Dawn

"though an old man, but, yet, I am a young gardener." Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - dawnm on Mar 11 2010 8:22:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  8:43:43 PM  Show Profile
Dawn I'm a beginner and this sounds like something good to start with. I'll email you my address if you wouldn't mind sending instructions to me. Do you hand stitch or machine stitch?

Blessings, Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Ann Bernadette
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Ann
Hiawattha KS
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  03:46:34 AM  Show Profile
Wow, this is going to be fun! That sounds like a great pattern for the lap quilt. I've recently made 2 lap quilts for the hospital I work in ~ for patients to use while riding in the wheelchair traveling thru the halls for tests etc. I provides a bit of comfort and privacy for them, plus a little color and love. A special prayer for the sick is on the label instead of my name. I printed it on transfer fabric thru my printer and simply appliqued it onto the backing. Im not so sure that the print will stand up to the frequent washing and detergent of hospital standards, however I feel as though the prayers were sewn into the quilt and will always remain for whomever uses it. This idea popped into my head a few Sundays ago at church. So, I decided for this to be my project for Lent.

I used a simple 4 patch (6 inch) on the first, and 6 inch rag quilt on the second.

Im up for a Round Robin as well. I am enjoying this so much!

Thanks you girls

Ann Bernadette
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  04:23:31 AM  Show Profile
The idea of a prayer for the label is a great touch. I may have to use it for some of my projects, if you don't mind. I think that the easiest way to have a swap would be to pick two or three colors for the quilt. Each quilter would make a block for each person. This way we could include everyone regardless of experience. If we have alot of people interested we would need to perhaps make sub groups 12 in each? Then we could swap the groups. The size of the block 9 or 12? With a signature? Just throwing ideas out there. I would be glad to organize this but love input. Happy sewing, Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any Quilters out there? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page