Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Any Quilters out there?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any Quilters out there? Next Topic
Page: of 3

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  12:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Y'all, Are there any quilters out there? If so what are your favorite quilts to make? How many have you made? When did you learn to quilt? I learned to quilt a few years ago and love it! I am finishing my first quilt which is a Yello Brick Road quilt. It is all diffrent shades of green. Very pretty! I went through a green phase where everything had to be green. lol
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  1:51:55 PM  Show Profile
Right now I am getting ready to make a couple of crazy quilt baby blankets. Have a lap quilt/wall hanging I am busy hand quilting right now. Been quilting every since receiving my first sewing machine at age 14. I have made to many to remember How many!! LOL! My favorite part is making one for sale and knowing the moment the future owner has discovered it. . . warms my heart and soul.

Joanna #566
JojoNH

www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

bjhuff
True Blue Farmgirl

325 Posts

Betty Jo
Sturgis South Dakota
USA
325 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  3:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Send bjhuff an ICQ Message
Yep I am a quilter I love to quilt I just got two baby quilts done for new g-baby and I have done total is maybe 6 or 7 I have some that are not finished but they will be soon!!!!

***BettyJo****
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  4:48:29 PM  Show Profile
I also quilt and really enjoy it. It really is relaxing. I have designed my own quilts. Made one for each of my 3 children and one for Christmas/winter, finishing up on a spring/summer quilt and have made a quilt for my granddaughter. Need to make one for fall.
Hugs,
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  4:54:09 PM  Show Profile
I want to get into quilting and want to make a simple cotton patchwork quilt for my bed for starts! I love quilts!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  5:49:54 PM  Show Profile
Hey you quilt girls!
Let me invite all of you, (unless you already belong), to join the QuiltChicks Hen House. We are a very fun and caring group of gals. We are a new hen house, but we have already had a fat quarter swap and a friendship block swap. It's a great place to get help and ideas. You will make new friends. Check it out!
coffeemom (Melody--fg #833)
Go to Top of Page

bjhuff
True Blue Farmgirl

325 Posts

Betty Jo
Sturgis South Dakota
USA
325 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  8:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Send bjhuff an ICQ Message
Melody I would love to joining the QuiltChicks in the hen house how can I do this ?????

***BettyJo****
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  08:40:36 AM  Show Profile
Melody,
Me, too.
How can I join your Hen House?
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  08:53:48 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Do you have to be sister to join Michele?
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  6:52:08 PM  Show Profile
I learned to quilt when I was 40..now 44 as my grandmother wanted us granddaughters to learn but I being the youngest never got to learn so I took a class and well one thing lead to another. I now have my own room where I can quilt, read, and have tea. I love it. I have pictures of each quilt. Right now I am working on a quilt for my hubby and I.

blessings
tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  10:23:27 PM  Show Profile
I can quilt, but am by no means an expert lol . I do machine quilting (ALL of it is done on the machine, so it is not really quilting IMO duh) I just made a sweet girly quilt for my friends granddaughter. She will be baptized today. IF you like to see it, go check my blog ;)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

AsiyahK
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Asiyah
New Jersey
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  05:49:37 AM  Show Profile
I started quilting about 3 or 4 years ago. I am self-taught and have never taken a formal class. I always check out books from the library and subscribe to many quilt blogs. I've made at least 20 quilts (probably more like 30 now) but specialize in baby quilts. I also participate in block swaps and doll quilt swaps from time to time. It's a good way to stretch yourself creatively.

I have a dedicated studio and just bought a straight-line machine so that I have one for piecing and one for quilting. (It was tedious having to break down my machine once I got to a different stage of quilting).

I piece and quilt everything by machine and professional looking machine-quilting is HARD. You have to know how to control your speed, tension, use the right thread weight, proper loft of batting, and practice, practice, practice. IMO hand quilting is easier because you don't have all these mechanical factors to consider.

Most of the quilts I make have a clean (white) palette. I'm not a big fan of batiks and visually busy fabrics (like Kaffe Fassett). That probably makes sense since I mostly make baby quilts.

I don't really have a favorite quilt; usually my favorite is the last one I've just made. There are a few quilts that I have made from other folks' patterns but mostly, I design my own quilts.

Right now I'm working on a baby boy quilt I've named "Plain & Simple". I blogged about it but here's a picture of the quilt top. I still have to baste and quilt it though...fun, fun.

Visit my blog at http://mypointohtwo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  5:59:35 PM  Show Profile
I'm a quilter although I haven't done too much recently. I really *need* to start a new project. I have always hand pieced and hand quilted so it can go anywhere I go.

I like to make Amish quilts, and Tessellations, and Kaleidoscope the best. I want to make more more wallhangings to interchange the ones I have hanging in my house now.

www.childinharmony.com "Enriching,nurturing and inspiring Life with nature,animals
and the arts .. for the child and the child within"
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  7:09:10 PM  Show Profile
Go to the hen house place and send Brian an e mail telling him you want to join and the name of the hen house. That's all there is to it! You will get an e mail with further instructions. You do have to be a farm girl member to be able to participate in the hen house discussions. Hope to see you there!!!!
Melody (coffeemom: fg #833)
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  07:39:08 AM  Show Profile
Maggie I have never quilted but always wanted to. I just envy you girls that can. There is so many things you can do with it. And Asiyah your quilt is cute, cute and so little boy! Love it!!

Blessings, Brenda
Go to Top of Page

LAMoore
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Laura
Horsham Pennsylvania
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  1:51:18 PM  Show Profile
Yes I quilt - I have made about 15 of them - all sizes including the large one that hangs in my stair case- I am now making a quilt for my daughter for her spare bedroom ..I sew the piece work and hand quilt the whole piece . I just finished a memory one for a Mom who lost her infant - I took the clothes as a whole but cut off the back ( these scraps I used for the border)- placed them on a large square - I left the ruffles etc free and then quilted around the clothes in the block - it came out great - on the back I placed her receiving blankets in a block pattern - also came out nice -
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  1:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Asiyah, your quilt is beautiful!!

Brenda, I wish I could fly over there and teach you how!! I don't know much but I could show you the basics!!

What did all of you ladies first quilt look like?
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  2:14:51 PM  Show Profile
I love making quilts. If I had to hand quilt I would not get one done in a lifetime. I truly admire those of you who handquilt.

Brenda,

you too can quilt if you want. My mother in law was a beautiful quilter and I always admired her work. I am very blessed to have some of her pieces. I never asked her to teach me anything about quilting because I didn't think I could. I got an itch one day to give it a try. I bought some fabric, got out my sewing machine and put together some nine patches. I didn't have a pattern or an instruction book. When I think about it I chuckle seeing how far I have come from that attempt.

My most prized quilt is a color wash Irish Chain. It is a king size. I pieced it and had a very talented long arm quilter do the quilting. The color I chose was red and it is very striking. Through the years I have done many projects. Several queen size quilts (several in the works), lap blankets, baby blankets, and wall hangings. I tie my quilts, done quilt as you go, and have them machine quilted.

I am partial to the Civil War era quilts. And it is very hard for me to pick a fabric that doesn't have some print in it, even if it is just a tone on tone. I do love many different fabric artists and companies. I am so fortunate to have one of the best quilt shops on the east coast to buy fabric, take classes, do BOM's and go to quilt retreats.

I have three very hungry dogs - they are staring at me with that feed me look.

Happy Quilting,

Dawn

Small farm farmers rock!

Edited by - dawnm on Feb 23 2010 8:31:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  2:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Asiyah, Your quilt is beautiful!! Love the color combination you used.

Dawn, You made me laugh when you said "If I had to hand quilt I would not get one done in a lifetime." LOL!! I too, felt that way in the past. Now I look forward to the hand quilting process.

Joanna #566
JojoNH

www.CountryCents.com
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  8:25:28 PM  Show Profile
I just love talking about quilts, fabric, patterns, books, what I am working on, what I am not working on. I wish I could have all of you here and we could have a quilt guild. That was an Irish Chain, not chair.

I worked on a UFO tonight. It is almost done. I am putting on borders. I do NOT like borders. Does anyone? It is a gorgeous quilt. It was a BOM. No particular pattern, just a lot of different blocks, such as square in a square, flying geese, star blocks. Many, many different fabrics and colors. Hundreds of pieces. I don't know how to insert a pic or I could show you the center of the quilt.

Small farm farmers rock!
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  1:46:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm a quilter and would love to join the hen house. How do I e-mail Brian? Know about 1/4 inch seam and y seams, just need computer help. I learned how to quilt by joining a quilt quild. I figured what a better way to learn than by surrounding yourself with those that know how. I must confess that I truley am a "topper". Love piecing, quilting just slows me down. Anyone going to Paducha Quilt show this year?

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  3:11:56 PM  Show Profile
I am working on a quilt for my cousin and his bride to be. I got most of it cut, but I ran out of a solid color, so I am doing a bunch of the blocks that I can do now, until i am able to get out this weekend.

See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

jaysfarmgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Carol
Cincinnati OH
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  4:11:28 PM  Show Profile
I've just started quilting, and am looking for a simple table runner pattern....Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

My Heart Belongs In GOD'S Country...

To GOD'S Country...
Go to Top of Page

AsiyahK
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Asiyah
New Jersey
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  5:52:02 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Channah and Joanna. I'm trying to challenge myself to use solids more often.

I wish I could go to Paducah...at least once for the experience. It's not in the cards right now but perhaps in the future.

Does anyone else get requests for quilts? When people find out I quilt, they start rattling off dates that might garner a quilt (birthdays, anniversaries, etc, etc). It's so funny that they think that making a quilt is an easy and quick process.

Visit my blog at http://mypointohtwo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  1:55:16 PM  Show Profile
AsiyhK - I know what you mean. My solution is to offer to teach them how to quilt. I have had some take me up on that. I usually start them with a baby quilt. Or you could do what a friend of mine does charge a big $$$. One time she was wearing a jacket that she made from quilt blocks and a lady bought it off her back for $300. Could not believe it!! It was a one of a kind but still $300. She was excited she bought more fabric.

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  2:24:29 PM  Show Profile
I love it when someone approaches me for a quilt! Although, some folks do not know all the work that can go into the more complex ones.
If you get asked for one and are not interested, send 'em my way!

Asiyhk, I would love to see pictures of your quilt(s).

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
www.CountryCents.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any Quilters out there? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page