Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Any Quilters out there?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any Quilters out there? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ann Bernadette
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Ann
Hiawattha KS
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  1:36:43 PM  Show Profile
You are more than welcome to use that idea for your projects. The more prayers the better I always say!!! I like your idea regarding a swap. I have never done one before and am excited to be involved. So where do we begin, with a head count? A signature quilt would be fun, or a sampler of your favorite block or a theme of some sort to bond us together maybe. Lots to think about, maybe Im getting carried away. And, I have quite a fabric stash which Im sure you all do as well. Another passion and obsession Im afraid. :) Barbara, if you would like to organize it - I think that would be super. What can I do to help? And how do we decide what we are going to do? ~ Ann Bernadette ps I like most any colors, am drawn to the deep rich colors i.e., Kansas Troubles, reds, greens, purples, golds.
Go to Top of Page

Bag Lady Diva
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Viola
Spearfish South Dakota
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  12:13:32 AM  Show Profile
Hey - thought I would share if everyone is not familar with the American patchwork & Quilting magazine. Their website is awesome. Go to AllpeopleQuilt.com. You can download free patterns for quilts, bags, etc. I also collect and read books regarding quilt stories. Emilie Richards is one of my favorite authors. I enjoyed reading "Endless Chain. Lauraine Snelling "The Healing Quilt" is also a very enjoyable book. During the holiday I read "The Memory Quilt" by T.D. Jakes. I received my copy of "The Farmer's Wife" Sampler Quilt. The intersting part of this book is the letters from 1920 farm wives It came from a contest held in Jan 1922. I have enjoyed reading all the letters. The book comes with CD to download patterns included in the book. Sorry I have run off with info. Thought I would share. Finding out about retreats in your area a good source would be your State Guild. I will be attending a retreat in September thru my local quilt shop ( Dakota Quilt Shop). Retreats are fun.

Quilting in the Black Hills
Go to Top of Page

Ann Bernadette
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Ann
Hiawattha KS
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  06:14:35 AM  Show Profile
Viola! I have "The Farmer's Wife" Sampler Quilt book! Ya know what? I think I was born in the wrong era. I love everything old and hisotry. I will check out the book you recommended - going to Borders Book Store today in the city! So he retreat you go to, is it a week long and you stay there - like "camp"? If the opportunity presented itself, I would be willing to travel. I love the Black Hills. My daughter went to Camp Judson last year up there. She was so disappointed they did not take them to see Mt Rushmore. I enjoy the history of your area as well. Thanks for all the info, I have been looking forward to all thet new posts! Have a great weekend everyone and do domw sewin'!
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  07:05:49 AM  Show Profile
I also love "The Farmers Wife" those letters are great. Have not started any of the blocks -- looks like they are all done by hand. Ann Bernadette what do you think about red and white for the swap? I have been told all reds go together the more you have! Then folks could mix in green for Christmas or blue for a July quilt. If we did a sampler idea then we would get a nice mix of blocks. What do you think? Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Ann Bernadette
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Ann
Hiawattha KS
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  10:14:52 AM  Show Profile
I think red & white are great. Red is my favorite color!
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  1:14:32 PM  Show Profile
Okay red and white it is!! I'll see what I need to do for the swap and keep you posted. Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  8:16:02 PM  Show Profile
I guess to be able to go to this Quilt retreat, one would have to know how to quilt? I'd love to go to see the quilts are at least learn.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ABerger
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Amanda
Plymouth MN
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  09:36:03 AM  Show Profile
I just started quilting this January, and am close to completely my second quilt. I started with a pattern from Amy Butler--the Belle Quilt--and have made two of them. One was for me and one will be given away as a baby gift. It is a lovely pattern and was easy for a beginner. I pieced it all by machine, but have quilted by hand. I definitely have found a new favorite hobby!
If you want to check out the patterns (they're free!), you can find them at http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/products/free_patterns.php

"A joyful spirit is evidence of a grateful heart." ~Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

Bag Lady Diva
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Viola
Spearfish South Dakota
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  8:53:29 PM  Show Profile
Ann:

The retreat that I am attending in September is 2 days long. She has rooms set up for travelers to stay. But hey if you come my way for the retreat I have an extra room for you to stay.

The comment about - you have to know how to quilt to go to a retreat. I went to my first retreat in 1992. I did not know how to quilt. I took my sewing machine, the tools they recommended, and off I went. I learned so much that weekend, about resources, books, tools, tips that it gave me the confidence I needed to take the first step to not be afraid to learn. Quilters are very helpful people. They want to share their knowledge with other quilters. Just a thought - let other quilters know you need their help and they will step up and help you learn. Happy Quilting.

Quilting in the Black Hills
Go to Top of Page

misspittypat
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  5:37:00 PM  Show Profile
your quilt is gorgeous!

Keep up the good work.

Lila
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  11:30:02 AM  Show Profile
Happy National Quilt Day!! If you get a chance today thequiltshop website is offering free veiwing of the shows. You have many to pick from - enjoy, Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  11:52:43 AM  Show Profile
I just posted a quilt block swap under the farmgirl swap section. Come join me in the fun!!!

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Bugabee
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Kristie
Lugoff South Carolina
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2010 :  3:55:35 PM  Show Profile
I love the swap and Round Robin idea!!!! I want in. I will look for the post. Should be lots of fun!!

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it annoys the pig!
Old Folk Saying.
Go to Top of Page

Choctaw Farm Gal
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Nancy
Oklahoma
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  06:26:09 AM  Show Profile
I love to quilt ! I really enjoyed reading posts in this thread. I prefer hand piecing and hand quilting, because that is what I grew up learning & it came naturally to me to enjoy it.

happy stitches,
Nancy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Any Quilters out there? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page