Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 My dish drainer tray was just tooo big...soooo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic My dish drainer tray was just tooo big...soooo Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  08:22:35 AM  Show Profile
so I got rid of the tray because the overhang was just awful. Got in the way of everything. I had been using kitchen/hand towels with little success. After a round of dishes, they were a soppy mess, and retained odors--and the counter kept getting "mildewy" even after a just a day.

So, last month, I ran across Violet's newborn organic cloth diapers that she's outgrown and thought, "what the heck!!", so I laid two down, seam to seam underneath the drainer,and they absorb and dry in no time. There is no musty odor and I simply pull them up every couple of days, replace them with two from the "fresh stash" and I'm well pleased!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  08:31:07 AM  Show Profile
that is NIFTY!!!!

:o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  08:34:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Karrieann! I actually thought, "wow! you're really a smartie!!!" for this! My husband laughed a little but he agrees it's a much better solution :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  05:55:21 AM  Show Profile
Good thinking! Jonni I remember putting diapers down to dry dishes years ago. I only had a few dish towels and they were dirty. Those diapers worked great, but at the time I was pretty young and fely silly about using diapers in the kitchen. But come to think of it, cloth diapers get used for a lot more than a baby's bottom. Those things are amazing!!

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  2:59:05 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea Jonni! I still use some of my old cloth diapers (they were used as burpcloths) for rags to clean my furniture. They never wear out, and are going on 8 years old! My dishdrainer gets so soggy and gross at the bottom, and I never thought of that. Great use!

KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  3:25:30 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful idea. I am so going to have to give this a try. I have lots of those and they are just sitting around collecting dust. (too bad they aren't wiping up the real dust themselves.)
I am going to have to give this a try and hopefully, quit ruining my nice dishtowels! :)
thanks for sharing, Jonni! :D
hugs
Jess

"I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go." ~Abraham Lincoln

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic My dish drainer tray was just tooo big...soooo Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page