CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  12:53:09 PM  Show Profile
I just found King Arthur flour at my local IGA. I bought the Unbleached Bread Flour. It says Naturally Pure and Wholesome
Never Bleached, Never Bromated.

BUT it doesn't say organic.

Can I still use it for my "mother" sourdough starter?
Or should I return it and keep looking?

Thank you very much for helping me out.

Stephanie

"A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle." Irish Quote

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  1:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Stephanie,
Sure go ahead and try.. I will warn you, however, that last year when we were all making our bread the MaryJane Way... we found that her flour was "head and shoulders" above the rest.... King Arthur is a company that we all love and MaryJane suggested them too at first...So by all means try it... but if you struggle dont give up until you try the flour from the farm...

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.Prosserfarmgirls.ning.com

Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  4:37:30 PM  Show Profile
KA is positively the best flour I have ever
used. I use it for all my baking. I've tried
different flours and always been unhappy. They
do make an organic flour - usually you'll have to
order/buy it from a distributor or get on their
e-mail list and soon they should have an "order x
amount and free shipping".

For my business, our home-made breads, bagels, pizza -
everything, I use the King Arthur all purpose unbleached
flour.
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  5:09:48 PM  Show Profile
Thank you both! I am going to use it tonight for corn bread. I am going to try it for the sourdough starter and I am going to think about ordering organic, either MJ's or KA. It seems so pricey to order flour through the mail. I am glad you mentioned free shipping options. It was a big choice to order the budget mix. I am glad I did, it'll go into the cornbread tonight.
There are so many things I want to do better in the area of feeding my family.
Today I saw a bumper stick that said " the next time you gripe about a farmer....don't talk with your mouth full". So I hate to complain about price but it is an issue.
My daughter has type 1 diabetes. With some research out that says it may be from what we are feeding our kids that is causing the epidemic....it scares me to think that what I fed her in just 3 years could have done enough damage to make her pancreas stop working. I thought we ate very well. Moms guilt kicking in.
So I need to make the changes, want to make the changes and want to stay on budget.
Blah, blah, blah, could go on and on. Thanks for listening to whoever reads this!
I am going to go make dinner. I dug out my old cast iron skillets and I am excited to use them for corn bread made from budget mix!
S.

Edited by - CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl on Feb 17 2010 5:50:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  08:47:57 AM  Show Profile
I love the King Arthurs but, I did just order the MJ flour so I will start my mother on Sunday. Do you have any other farm girls that you could share the cost of ordering the flour with Stephanie?
delicia
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  09:43:48 AM  Show Profile
I love King Arthur's bread flour and use it all the time in my bread machine. But my making bread the MAryJAne way did not turn out with it....I was thinking it was the difference in climate from Idaho to FLorida, but maybe it was because I did not use MJ's flour. I love KA anyway, and use it all the time for other breads, and even when I bake cookies, etc.

I want to order some of MJ's flour, too, and Delicia, that was a good idea of sharing if two folks are close enough to do that!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Feb 18 2010 10:22:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  10:17:04 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies.. Here is a thought.. Some of the farmgirls have had some issues with using KA flour when making sourdough, it is possible that it is because KA uses a sweetner (Barley Malt) and it seems to wreck havoc with the sour dough process. So while it is good for other breads, using MJF flour is probably the best way to go for "bread the MaryJane way", as it is a pure unadulterated flour.. and really since you are ordering it anyway.. probably the best.. period.... no matter what the kitchen creations Hope this helps. Make sure that if your new to "Bread the MaryJane way" that you read through the thread with that name... there is a lot of good advice, hits and recipes from the cooks both at the farm and farms across the country.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.Prosserfarmgirls.ning.com

Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  10:42:38 AM  Show Profile
The recipes sound great on the thread baking bread the MJ way. I am looking forward to gettting to the baking point. I also ordered the budget mix any good recipes to go with that?

delicia
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  12:06:36 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your thoughtful advice. Last night I was so excited to start I opened the KA bread flour bag and but that flour in to my bowl instead of the budget mix, dumped the corn meal on top & then realized I was supposed to use the budget mix.....so I got out out my favorite corn bread recipe off of Hillbillyhousewife and made that instead. I use the plain muffin recipe and use the add on of corn meal and less sugar. I'd bought aluminum free baking powder along with the KA flour so I felt pretty good about the things going into the mix.
I cooked the bread in 2 old skillets I have. Both were from our grandparents. One is from 1891.
It was the best cornbread either of us had ever had. The cast iron really made a difference.
Now I am off to learn what is the best way to season them. I am sure it's on here somewhere. Everything seems to be!

I appreciate the mention of sharing shipping. It seems the right thing to do. I will approach the other local ladies and see if they order from MJF. I also mentioned to my hubby that the next time we go to E. Wa I may just continue the drive to MJF and get some myself! Not too practical but it sounds like fun to me.

Take good care,
Stephanie

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  12:29:30 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie- Also ask your local girls about Bob's Red Mill. Their flour and products are wonderful!!! Yes, they carry organic flours, aluminumn free baking soda and baking powder. I grind my own flour and I drive to their store in Milwaukee, Oregon to buy my wheat berries and all of the other baking stuff I need. Their products are also available in stores too or you can send for a catalog. My thought on the whole thing is that you may be local enough to make a run to the store.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  8:06:20 PM  Show Profile
I have used KA organic successfully for making starter and for bread.

Small farm farmers rock!
Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  10:27:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lillian,
Thank you for telling me about Bob's Red Mill. I have seen that brand before and have used the Gluten Free products they offer a few times. I am so happy for you that you can go to the mill and then grind your own flour. WOW, that is inspiring.
I have a friend that mentioned that years ago, I will check to see if she is doing it now. She lives close to Bellingham but it'd still be worth the drive to get fresh from her.
I saw Bob's yesterday at Winco. They had about 5 choices. At the PCC they had a whole section. I think buying in bulk would be the way to go. How far is Milwaukee from Vancouver Wa? I get down there once or twice a year.
Thanks for the info.
Stephanie

Go to Top of Page

CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Stephanie
Granite Falls Wa.
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  10:29:41 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, Thanks for the positive comments about KA in the email too. I never even knew it was an option & I am thankful my little dinky store has it!
I am going to go read the MJF directions about getting the starter started, a weekend day? and do it!
Take care,
Stephanie

Edited by - CascadeFootHillsFarmgirl on Feb 19 2010 10:34:49 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic The right bread flour? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page