Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Best Garage Sale or Thrift Store Find?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Best Garage Sale or Thrift Store Find? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  7:39:05 PM  Show Profile
For me it's 16 old mason jars with glass lids and wire fasteners all held together by a handmade wooden tray.

~Kerry
Farmgirl Sister #975

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  04:07:15 AM  Show Profile
There really isn't enough room here for me to answer that. HA.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  06:44:49 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Nancy Jo. But one of my better finds was a daybed I got for one scratch ticket I traded to the guy selling the bed. I did buy a new mattress--of course. and it is actually a trundle bed and all the parts were there. I hope to post a pic as soon as I can find it.

Kerry, the set of jars including all the lids etc is a very good find. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Feb 16 2010 08:09:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  06:50:44 AM  Show Profile
You can't find the daybed??

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  06:59:51 AM  Show Profile
I agree there are so many but I'd have to say, DH and I found a old support post(all carved) that we made into a birdhouse holder. I painted it a sage color and DH put side arms on and that is where all my birdie friends come, right in front of my kitchen window. We get so many, can't keep up with the feed. It brings us alot of joy.

Brenda
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  08:04:56 AM  Show Profile
The picture goofy. And I found it and posted it. LOOK!!! at my previous posting. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  08:41:24 AM  Show Profile
my best find at a Thrift Store was on my birthday, years ago. I went in to browse and found nothing that said "buy me, get me". As I was heading toward the front door, I saw one of the gals appeared out from the back with her arm loaded with Hudson Bay "points" blankets. My heart jumped. She was having a conversation with another gal in the rear, discussing the price for them... I over heard, "$10.00" "You think that is good price?" "Yeah, make them ten dollars each"...I search my wallet and spied a twenty dollar bill... I spoke out loud to the blanket carrying gal, "How many do you have there?" She replied "two" "SOLD!", I said without hesitation. She went to say that they're Hudson... I cut in.. I know them anywhere! I walked out with my new birthday purchases! One is 4 1/2 point and the other 3 1/2 point. They're currently on my bed keeping us warm this winter! I have had them for twenty years now!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  1:41:43 PM  Show Profile
I love hearing all of the goodies you girls have found :)

Mine was a pair of brand new Vasque leather hiking boots for $5.00. I needed boots so bad and prayedthat God would help me find something I needed before shopping. When I went in there were so many gals by the shoe rack and there they were. No one was looking at them, I picked them up, brand new and just my size. I was so thrilled! I looked them up on the internet when I got home and found out that they retailed for $250.00.

Oh, I also just got a neat solid walnut headboard and footboard for free! Just need a little tlc :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  1:54:46 PM  Show Profile
You all are making me just so impatient for yard sale time, lol!!
Our thrift stores in this area aren't great, but sometimes I will find fairly decent deals.
Probably my best in a thrift store were the rolls of upholstery fabrics for $4.00 a roll!!! Each roll held enough to be able to upholster at least a loveseat and chair, maybe a couch. I do know I got a cute plaid, and did a loveseat, cushions and lots more stuff. It was beautiful, durable fabric.
As for garage/yard sales, too many good deals to name! ;)
I love reading about all your finds!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  5:56:38 PM  Show Profile
My best find...took place over 34 years ago. I was just a single gal and drove to Thomasville Georgia to an estate sale. On the back porch of this old Victorian home, in a trunk, I found a postage stamp quilt, with wool batting. I got it for $3.00!!!! It has some fading and wear, but the handwork on it .....I cannot believe how long that took! I brought it home and worked on mending it, but never finished all the mending. I have kept it all these years.

Photo added to my blog!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Feb 17 2010 5:06:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  8:49:30 PM  Show Profile
My best find was at an estate sale. I have had many good finds, but this tops them. A lapsteel guitar and an amp handmade by Leo Fender.
Go to Top of Page

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  5:45:47 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like yall have found some great items. I cannot wait for garage "sale-ing" season to get started!
Robin, I cant believe you found a guitar especially a Fender! Was it in good shape? What a fabulous find!!
Thanks to all the MaryJane books and magazines and of course all you farmgirls, I am planning new projects and will be on the search for materials at garage sales and thrift stores this spring and summer. So many great ideas. Thanks!

~Kerry
Farmgirl Sister #975
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  9:38:24 PM  Show Profile
Kerry,

It was in excellent condition. It was truly a great find.
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  10:01:25 AM  Show Profile
This trunk is my all time favorite find. The mustard and black tin with the raised vines looks awesome in my kitchen. Believe it or not, this antique was in someone's garbage on the curb. I caught a glimpse of it while driving by and I went around the block, got out and drug it to my car. I thought my older boys were going to die of embarrassment that I was rifling thru some strangers garbage in broad daylight. It never ceases to amaze me what people will throw away. Finding an awesome thrift store item is ranked right up there with winning the lotto!!

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  12:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Toby that is absolutely beautiful! I love the contrast of color, and I cant believe it was intended for the garbage!!!

~Kerry
Farmgirl Sister #975
Go to Top of Page

theprimitivepilgrim
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Michelle
Baggs Wyoming
USA
217 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  2:09:29 PM  Show Profile
So great to hear all of your wonderful stories. Has me anxious for the season to begin.

One of my greatest finds is very similar to Toby's. Stopped at a garage sale where a middle aged man had just a few boxes on his lawn. Had great vintage stuff in the the boxes, and packed very well. Said his mom had died almost 20 years ago, and whenever he needed a few dollars he'd pull a few boxes out of the garage. Said we could look in the garage if we were interested. Eleven hours later we had filled our truck, and horse trailer with literally 150 years worth of treasures that he thought was junk, and appreciated us "hauling it away." So many great treasures that day, but one of the greatest was the trunk pulled from the attic of the garage. It was just as if it had come off an old wagon train. Prairie skirts, a childs prairie dress and shoes, mens shirts with the cardboard collars, a buffalo hide vest, a small calico fabric bag with three marbles, a tin gum container, and an antique coin. Also a bank ledger from the Oklahoma Territory, and a stack of letters from the 1800's.

Such great memories of that day. The trunk is displayed in my livingroom with all the treasures as found~

Thanks for letting me share!
~Michelle

Edited by - theprimitivepilgrim on Feb 18 2010 2:25:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  2:35:34 PM  Show Profile
We have a similar trunk, sold to me for $3! I couldn't believe it and high tailed out of there before they changed their minds LOL! mine holds linens and quilts =)

My finds are innumerable and I really need to stop going to yard sales before my poor house busts at the seams not likely tho'!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  4:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Michelle I want to go to garage sales with you! I cannot believe he would want to get rid of such wonderful history! Thats amazing that you found those kinds of things especially at a garage sale. What kind of condition was everything in?
Thanks for sharing everyone! I have really enjoyed reading about yall's favorite finds. I am getting excited for spring time!

~Kerry
Farmgirl Sister #975

Edited by - Kerbear on Feb 19 2010 4:58:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  06:32:17 AM  Show Profile
Wow, my find pales in comparison to Michelle's trunk. I would love to find a box of treasures from the Frontier days. I too am itching to go to sales. It's kind of pointless to go to auctions around here in the winter cuz they are packed with people so it's hard to get any bargains. I enjoy hearing about everyones finds. Perhaps they should change the old saying to "One man's junk is a Farm Girl's treasure!"

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

cajungrammie
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

tina
dry prong la.
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  7:22:12 PM  Show Profile  Send cajungrammie a Yahoo! Message
I volunteer at a resale shop on the weekends and last month i found these two really old egg baskets made out of metal.they are so cool.i have no use for them but i could not pass them up.i paid .25 for each of them.

Sometimes I think I know Everything!!Then I wake Up!!
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  8:53:28 PM  Show Profile
Corbels

Def: A bracket of stone, wood, brick, or other building material, projecting from the face of a wall and generally used to support a cornice or arch.

I found a very large pair, hand carved with a lovely aged gray patina...One lady had one corbel in her hand (I was standing right next to her) she put it down and I picked them both up! Kind of pricey according to my DH---but I didn't care---I wanted them!

A few years ago my DH and I ripped out an existing wall dividing the dining room and the kitchen to make a great room, but left the chimney intact and they look like they were meant to be placed on either side. And---since my house reflects my Swedish ancestry they fit very well with the decor.

I think TIMING is EVERYTHING

That would have to be my best find---SO FAR! Nancy Jo!

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  10:49:09 PM  Show Profile
I got a motorcycle for $10! How's that for a steal? LOL
Got a gorgeous crazy quilt, with every piece embroidered, for $5 - from the same guy!
Just got a free rocker last month, from someone's garbage on trash day - brand new but the seat had split
and only needed some wood glue to fix it, and a cushion and voila!
I don't call it garbage picking, I call it "curbside shopping"! :)

-Greenhaven Gardens
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  04:24:42 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, you go girl, my DH has found some great deals curbside shopping!

Brenda
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  4:34:25 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I'm a sucker for old trunks. That one is so cool!

This summer I picked up a sterling silver candle stick holder (the kind with a finger loop and a drip catching tray all in one so you can carry it with you from room to room prior to electric lights). It was tarnished, but when I polished it, no scratches, no dents, and gorgeous rose details. Paid a quarter for it. On line it sells for $250. But I've always kind of wanted one for the charm of it.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

theprimitivepilgrim
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Michelle
Baggs Wyoming
USA
217 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  08:57:57 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth,

I grew-up "curbside shopping" in upstate NY! Most everything in my house is from a garage sale, flea market, thrift store or the dump! And each treasure has such a story to tell.

It is great to hear all your wonderful stories~ The next best thing to being there!

~Michelle
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  6:31:23 PM  Show Profile
I've just started really going to thrift stores. My girlfriend swears by them and I know of another woman at my work who finds the best clothes for next to nothing. All pricey name/designer brands. I don't care so much for the brand name as long as it's comfy/cute/cheap. :-) I did find a brand new pair of levis for my 9 year old the other day for 2$...new. He needs a regular jean with a waist size and inseam...not like a 12H or 14H but like 30x29 kinda thing. He's my little lumberjack child to be sure....a new pair at Kohls/Meijer can set me back 20$ on sale.

I was thrilled to find a Cows on Parade statue for a friend the other day on sale for 3$. It was soooooo cute! Not a scratch or discoloration on it. Even had tags. So I rushed home to check the net...it was a "retired" cow (I didn't know much other than the name...Cows on Parade from many years ago) that is now selling for 75$. I unwrapped it carefully but somehow it had gotten broken on the ride home. Boo-boo tail and a lost horn. :-( Ah well. I think I will put a ribbon on it's tail owie...and a tiny wreath of silk daisies to cover the missing horn. (a suggestion from my son who thinks I should dispatch the other horn because "it's a girl Mom"...." She's still lovely dancing on her hind legs....

I have made several "good finds". I typically go for the smile factor. If it makes me smile and gives me joy each time I use/look at it, then it's a "good find". That cow is just as fun (even broken) as the 1$ hand-made pin from buttons I found and that set of 6 "jelly" jar glasses for .60 cents each. And the 3$ wool sweater I'm repurposing into a shoulder bag or the 3$ wool sweater that I'm unraveling just for the awesome copper colored yarn. Oh and the black cord jacket that is totally tricked out with silk scarves that I can't wear?....even though I really wanted to believe I could?....I'm gifting to a friend cause she CAN wear it comfortably and I know it will make HER smile.... tee hee. Oh and those two wooden chairs with the orange leather seats that TOTALLY match my 9 year old's bedroom furniture...even with the orange seats. Those were 5$ each....

I could go on...can you tell I'm having fun? Not only do I find some good deals but I really like the stress relief when I have the time to just browse.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Best Garage Sale or Thrift Store Find? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page