Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 Best Garage Sale or Thrift Store Find?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Best Garage Sale or Thrift Store Find? Next Topic
Page: of 2

sewsweet
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Carol

Canada
172 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  09:01:55 AM  Show Profile
I've had a lot of good thrift store finds over the years and can't possibly pick one as being the best. I can tell you that on Saturday I found some great stuff at the local thrift store: 5 brand new balls of Patons Bohemian, and one new skein of Freedom Wool by Twilleys, a learn to crochet book, a knitting gauge, a tatting shuttle, 4 sewing bobbins, and a bunch of yarn holders -- all for under $5. I was very happy with my finds!

~Carol

Farmgirl Sister #1191
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  2:49:12 PM  Show Profile
Best garage sale finds? A 1919 cookbook/household encyclopedia for $0.05 and a pile of Taste of Home magazines for free! :)

Best thrift store find? Probably a wooden recurved bow for $30.

Back home in Fargo, ND we had the BEST thrift stores! I hit some great garage sales upstate in Little Falls, NY this summer. The thrift stores by me however are not great. :( Oh well. Keeps me from spending money! :)
Go to Top of Page

suzifire
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Suzi
Denton N.C.
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  10:56:13 PM  Show Profile
1940's Steiff teddy bear....25 cents

"I want a world that is sane & just & clean & I am willing to do my part to make it so"
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  06:02:06 AM  Show Profile
I found a small nude metal women figurine for 25 cents, worth $75 dollars. I bought a wet/dry vac that worked at our thrift store's quarter days for 25 cents. I still use it. I found a whole pickup load of authentic white picket fencing for free from a gal in her yard putting it out for trash pickup. Whoo hoo that was fun!!! My dad made headboards, shelves, furniture, etc with it.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  06:33:43 AM  Show Profile
When I was a little girl, I remember my aunt,uncle, grandparents,and my family would go junking. Where we lived in Kansas we were close to the river and they had a place set up that they called "Macy's on the River". And boy it was. My mom would bring home so many things and being the crafty one, in was unbelieveable what she would do with it all. Haven't thought about this for ever! Then when I got married my inlaws were really into the aution deals. So I took them to "Macy's" and they had a blast. FIL found one of those duck toys that you pulled. There were about 3-4 ducks together. He always was trying to embarrass me and pulled those ducks all over Macy's. Of course the ducks went home with him!! And not to many years later, his grandchildren was playing with it. I can still see him with those ducks. GREAT MEMORY!!
Happy Junkin' to all the junk hunter's!
Blessings, Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  11:15:55 AM  Show Profile
Every year in our city our animal shelter puts on a garage sale. everything is donated and then you pick your own price to buy whatever the item is. Oh it is great. it is held and fair grounds and uses 2 of the great big barns. it is great because all of the stuff comes from all different people and so the assortment is great. I find good stuff every time I go. It is always memorial weekend and we look forward to it... can't wait for it this year. My SIL and I have been talking about it all winter....

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  5:02:14 PM  Show Profile
Wow - I've had a bunch, pickings have been slim the last few years due to ebay etc. but I used to find fabulous vintage clothes all the time. I found a 1930's black velvet opera jacket in perfect condition once for $3 - I gave it to my mom and she wears it on special occasions.
On the non-vintage side I once found a brand new pair of Dansko's, never worn for $10. They came at a time when I desperately needed new shoes, good ones, and when we had no money at all - life savers they were.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Kerbear
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Kerry
Middle Tennessee
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  8:10:21 PM  Show Profile
Today I went to a fabulous estate sale-- unfortunately I was in my car and was unable to bring home a couple of great rocking chairs. However, I did find two great rustic planters for our porch that I have been hoping to find!
I am so glad its finally garage sale season!

~Kerry
Farmgirl Sister #975
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  10:27:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh man Michelle!
I wish I could see what is in that trunk!
I'll bet the letters are connected to some family that is looking for their heritage.
What a thing to throw away.
I spend time rescuing these treasures in order to make them available for others who night have descended from those folks. And imagine what the historical society in that part of Oklahoma would make of the letters and clothing and all!
Carla

"You shot it Tarzan-
You eat it."
Dave Ramsey
Go to Top of Page

theprimitivepilgrim
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Michelle
Baggs Wyoming
USA
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  10:09:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Carla,

So nice to see you on here! Grand Junction is our closest shopping, we are just 200 miles up the road! Have two uncles in GJ so we do get down fairly often.

The trunk is such a treasure. We spent 12hrs with the man we bought everything from, and really questioned him about family, and the history of all the things he had. He said there wasn't anyone left in the family that wanted any of it. They had actually settled in Bellvue, CO for the last 100 years. I think it would make a great book or movie. The hardships they endured were amazing.

Also, cleaned out an estate one time, and as payment we got to choose one item from the estate. My choice was an antique sampler. It is extremely detailed, and probably close to 200 years old. Have tried to research the name on it, but haven't had any luck.

Love to garage sale down in Grand Junction, and I see the season is getting underway.

Happy hunting~
~Michelle
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  06:49:11 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I'm a Junk Gypsy,too! Glad to know there are more of us out there! (I have 2 hot pink shirts, one reads: Junk Gypsy and the other, Flea Market Floozy)

Anyway, my great finds are too great in number to list here, but the most recent discovery was in a garage of a house my mother bought. There was a small metal box which contained many letters and tax receipts from the 1800s, specific to the county that we live in! There is also a large land platt document signed by the second Governor of the State of Texas. I also found correspondence concerning land, and one of the writers turned out to be a famous figure, whose family home has since been turned into a museum. I contacted them about these pristine letters and, boy, were they sooooo excited! I hand delivered them and was given an hour long (or more) personal tour of the house and grounds. It was so awesome.

Edited by - msdoolittle on Apr 09 2010 06:49:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  1:24:25 PM  Show Profile
Last summer, or maybe two lasts ago, I got two very nice wicker chairs with sprung cushions in them. There is a big hole at the top of each back where a pillow was meant to be, so I painted them up, made new cushion cover and new pillows for the back and they look fabulous. As I recall, they were $10 each, a very good deal these days. I get a lot of linens from the same junkstore, always at very good prices. I have had to stop collecting though, no more room. When the barn is full (and it is) you know you are in trouble...
That yellow and black trunk is a beauty, and the day bed is very sweet too. Always such a treat to run my eyes over someone else's treasure.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  9:02:06 PM  Show Profile
Not exactly a garage sale find, but last weekend my husband and I were leaving home to meet my mil for an Easter brunch and we passed two men putting a complete dining set out on the curb for trash pickup. It had been their mother's and had been stored in the barn or garage for many years. We were able to fit the 6 chairs and the sideboard into our two station wagons, but we had to walk the table home on a hand cart. Good thing it was only about 4 blocks from home, that table weighs a ton! It all needs some cleaning up, refinishing, new chair upholstery, but it's already better than what we had in our dining room. And it's about 100 years old, just the same age and style as our house.
Go to Top of Page

phonelady
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

Carla
Loveland Colorado
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  9:33:29 PM  Show Profile
That was a great find Amie!
How cool and you saved a part of our history from ending up in the landfill.
Carla

It's not just life-
It's an adventure!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  10:10:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I just noticed the hiking boots that Calicogirl posted on the first page. I found a pair of Timberlands at a church rummage sale during the end of the day "all you can fit in a bag for a dollar" stage. I wasn't terribly excited about them because they were well worn, but I ended up getting 5 years of good hard use out of them. And considering that they weren't even the only thing in my bag that day, I only paid a fraction of a dollar for the boots. They're too worn down in the heels to be comfortable for hiking now, but I still use them for digging in the garden. Saves wear on the expensive new Merrills I had to buy to replace them!
Go to Top of Page

cgonyer
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Cindy
Petersburg MI
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  08:34:02 AM  Show Profile
Toby - that trunk is so cool - I can't believe you just found it on the side of the road in front of someone's yard. What luck!
~Cindy
Farmgirl #1273
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  09:03:24 AM  Show Profile
I is amazing to me what people will send to the landfills! I'm glad that you rescued the dining set Amie

The other day I found a large Christmas tin filled to the brim with embroidery thread and sewing notions all for a couple of dollars!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Best Garage Sale or Thrift Store Find? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page